37yo 4/3 intro

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
cyevan
New User
New User

37yo 4/3 intro

Post by cyevan »

Hi all -

I knew I was probably at a higher risk for Alzheimer's since my grandmother had it, but it was always in a vague kind of way. However, since about mid-2015 I have been having a myriad of health problems and diagnostic tests almost always found nothing wrong with me. I was eventually diagnosed with myofascial pain syndrome, and I also developed shingles in the fall of 2016 (yes, late 30's with shingles). I have had a colonoscopy (normal), been tested for celiac disease (nope), and had a brain MRI to see if I had MS (no). I have seen a GI, a rheumatologist (nope, even though I am at risk for RA genetically), and the neurologist. I also work with a GP who listens and gives me whatever referral I want, but obviously we haven't gotten much of anywhere.

Finally I decided to do 23andme and run it through Promethease to see if I could find something lurking in my genes that would give me a new clue. What I was not expecting was to find out the first big red flag item was that I was APoE 4/3. I have gotten and read Dr. Breseden's book, and am embarking on a new low-carb diet. I am obese, and was prediabetic but got my A1c back down to 5.4. Other than general inflammation markers (sed rate, CRP) my bloodwork is usually normal (my B12 is awesome, so no worries there). I still feel like crap 80% of the time, and am easily downed by exertion or heat. I am also on a lot of medication, including lyrica, cymbalta, and wellbutrin. The neurologist actually suggested that some of my symptoms might be caused by my meds, so I'm currently working my way down off the cymbalta.

I also have a lot of dental problems, and am seeing an oral surgeon next week for the first time in probably five or more years. I wonder if I have some kind of low-grade infection from my teeth that is giving me issues - the two times I have been on antibiotics within the last few years I almost instantly felt so much better!

Anyway.... just wanted to say hi, and that I am here reading.
ccfield
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 37yo 4/3 intro

Post by ccfield »

Welcome Cyevan!

Wow, you have been through a lot but kudos to you for continuing your search to feel well. Also, congratulations for getting your A1c down and on cutting down on carbs. That's impressive too.

The way you learned of your ApoE4 status is a common tale. People are often looking for something else in their DNA and find their status that way. It is overwhelming but you will find so much support here and a lot of information to help you on your path to wellness as well.

If you have not yet read the Primer, it's an important place to start on this site. It covers most questions that people ask regarding ApoE4 and is written by physician member Stavia. Also, as I'm sure you've already noted, there is a search function at the top of the page allowing you to search for topics that may have already been discussed. This is quite a well-researched community as you will notice when you conduct a search.

We are so glad that you are here and that you introduced yourself. Welcome!
- Carrie B
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

cyevan wrote:Other than general inflammation markers (sed rate, CRP) my bloodwork is usually normal
Hello, Cyevan,
It sounds like you are on the right track with making changes. Congratulations on bringing down your A1c. It is good to know that most of your blood work is normal, though since you’ve read Dr Bredesen, you are aware that he advises going for optimal rather than normal, and he specifies those lab values in his book. You didn’t say specifically how high your inflammation marker are, but the combo of having elevated inflammatory markers and your saying you “feel like crap 80% of the time” and that you have felt so much better when you have taken antibiotics seems to point to inflammatory response as an area you and your doctor might examine.
Great that the neurologist is looking at the medications you are taking carefully too.

Seeing an oral surgeon to look for infections in your teeth and gums is an important step. Kudos for that!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Hi Cyeven,

I also had shingles in my late 30s, after a period of surgery, it is horrible, I do empathise! Mine came back on the other side, and I now have PHN (post herpetic neuralgia). I read somewhere we with E4 can have slower recovery with nerve damage, a study mentioned. Anyway, I too was on meds for the pain. It flares up and goes all down one side. Something I have found helpful with this pain, (apart from heat and swimming) is Curcumin, I was surprised it seemed to help. Also going low carb seemed to help with the pain for me. I am 41 and also 3/4. Anyway welcome!
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Quitting antidepressants is a difficult, multi-year endeavor for some people. My wife has found Surviving Antidepressants to be a helpful online community. It's a kind not-for-profit place much like this one.