Unfortunate side effect from melatonin.

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Unfortunate side effect from melatonin.

Post by NF52 »

ElleNY wrote:I am so happy that I found this thread! ... I googled "melatonin" and "diarrhea" and found this. I stopped taking it three evenings ago, and I already feel almost back to normal. (I also was starting to get some really weird joint pain, which has also almost disappeared).

I had no idea that this could have these side effects. I was about to contact a gastroenterologist. So happy to feel better. Thank you for the information.
Welcome ElleNY! We always are happy when people find answers on this site--although this seems to be an unexpected special service to folks who have had the same nasty effects of melatonin that you experienced. I once had a very astute doctor diagnose a severe penicillin reaction when he insisted "You took something different recently" to my answer that it couldn't be anything new that made my lips swell up so much. And then I sheepishly remembered that it seemed like a good idea to take a half tsp. of my son's penicillin for some reason. So now we both know to think hard about what we've done differently!

May your next vacation be problem-free! And since this site holds other ideas for how to stay healthy, even if you don't have ApoE 4 or a family history of Alzheimer's or heart disease, you may want to browse our Wiki for topics as varied as ketogenic diets, the importance of sleep and thinking about insulin resistance more than fats in your diet.

From a former New Yorker--enjoy a good night's sleep!
4/4 and still an optimist!
mountaineermd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mountaineermd »

It is rewarding for me to see that so many people have benefited from this post. Relentless watery diarrhea is no fun and who would have guesses it was caused by melatonin.
Jessiesdad
New User
New User

Post by Jessiesdad »

Interesting, I just figured this out the other day, big change in bowel movements. Was on a couple different supplements and turns out it is the Melatonin. So much for researchers knowing all! I found no info tying the two together until this post. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Jessiesdad wrote:Interesting, I just figured this out the other day, big change in bowel movements. Was on a couple different supplements and turns out it is the Melatonin. So much for researchers knowing all! I found no info tying the two together until this post. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.
Welcome, Jessiesdad!

We're glad you found this forum post (with the understated title!) and glad that you're feeling better. I imagine Jessie is also glad to have a dad who feels like life is back to normal. Since you're taking a few supplements, you are probably someone who keeps pretty good tabs on his health, and accesses a lot of information online and in other formats (podcasts etc.). If you're interested in what the rest of this forum is about, and especially if you're thinking of taking a 23&me test for your health and ancestry, or have a family history of Alzheimer's or early heart disease, you might want to check out our Welcome page, with links to our Primer and a discussion of the pros and cons of genetic testing. If not, we wish you both continued health, good sleep and a lot less melatonin!
4/4 and still an optimist!
DSA31
New User
New User

Post by DSA31 »

Similarly to what others have said, I, too am so thankful I found this thread! I had been experiencing watery diarrhea every single day (typically one episode in the mornings) for 10 days. I’d be in the bathroom for 20-40 min. Went to the doctor after about 5 days who said it was likely a virus , but I knew something was off. I didn’t experience any nausea, vomiting or fever which usually accompanies a virus. I started thinking the worst. Possibly IBS or colon cancer because nothing in my diet had changed.

Then, one day, it dawned on me. The only thing new I had introduced was melatonin! I had started experimenting with different dosages at night until settling on 20mg about a month ago. I stopped taking it on Tuesday and immediately felt better the next day. While it’s only been two days, I’m convinced it was the melatonin that was causing my ailments. I haven’t had an episode since and my stomach feels back to normal. So relieved!
Melanie R.
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Melanie R. »

Hello DSA31 and welcome to the forum!

I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better within only a few days of eliminating something that wasn't working for you. I am also thankful you found this thread and have already been able to contribute your personal feedback and experience.

There is a wealth of information to discover within this community if you haven't already done so either for yourself or someone you know. You will find some great information beginning here: Welcome

Please enjoy your time sharing and learning.

Warmest regards,
Melanie
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (ReCODE)
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

DSA31 wrote:Similarly to what others have said, I, too am so thankful I found this thread! I had been experiencing watery diarrhea every single day (typically one episode in the mornings) for 10 days. I’d be in the bathroom for 20-40 min. Went to the doctor after about 5 days who said it was likely a virus , but I knew something was off. I didn’t experience any nausea, vomiting or fever which usually accompanies a virus. I started thinking the worst. Possibly IBS or colon cancer because nothing in my diet had changed.

Then, one day, it dawned on me. The only thing new I had introduced was melatonin! I had started experimenting with different dosages at night until settling on 20mg about a month ago. I stopped taking it on Tuesday and immediately felt better the next day. While it’s only been two days, I’m convinced it was the melatonin that was causing my ailments. I haven’t had an episode since and my stomach feels back to normal. So relieved!
Welcome to the site DSA31!

Thank you for sharing your story and observations with us!

I did not know that supplementation with melatonin might cause gastrointestinal issues.
In fact there are a few studies showing supplementation with melatonin (3g) might improve IBS symptoms. Interestingly, it was noticed that melatonin works for constipation type IBS. The beneficial effects were less observed in patients with diarrhea- predominant IBS.

As for side effects, studies show supplementation with melatonin is pretty safe but it may cause: headache, dizziness, nausea, and drowsiness.
I also found out most of commercial melatonin is synthesized in the laboratory. However, in rare cases it can be derived from animal pineal gland. Melatonin from animal sources should be avoided due to the possibility of contamination.

I am glad you connected melatonin was responsible for your symptoms! and the issue resolved after removing the supplement.

I would like to invite you to take a look at our PRIMER. This part of the forum contains many useful information and tips on how to possibly arrest the cognitive decline. It has been put together and regular up to date it by one of the members Dr. Stavia.

Please do hesitate to reach out if more concerns and questions arise.

Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
Lmgnurse
New User
New User

Post by Lmgnurse »

Thank you for this site! I too was suffering from diarrhea for for almost a month. I went Thur all kind of stool samples with all negative results. Took probiotics ,prebiotics, Imodium with little effect. After doing my own investigation I came upon this site and was amazed how many people were suffering the exact symptoms as mine with melatonin being the culprit. I stopped taking 5 mg melatonin and the following day my daily morning diarrhea episode stopped. It’s been 5 days now and my stools are starting to return to normal. I feel my life is returning to normal for the first in one month . Thank you all for sharing.
Melanie R.
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Melanie R. »

Hello Lmgnurse,

Welcome to the forum, we are so glad you found the site!
We appreciate your sharing as well. That's interesting that you have had similar results as others with the removal of melatonin. We are all so unique, which is why a personalized approach to our health can be key.
If you would to like to learn more about this forum, as mentioned in the above thread, you can read through the Primer. There is a wealth of useful information which has been put together by one of our members, Dr. Stavia. It's a wonderful introduction to APOE.4, the bio-chemistry and possible prevention strategies.
Feel free to also introduce yourself here: Our Stories. We'd love to learn more about you!

With warm regards,
Melanie
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (ReCODE)
CoachDD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachDD »

I agree with Magda that the quality of the supplement matters! Please be sure to purchase (any!) OTC supplement from a pharmaceutical grade, third-party tested dispensary.

Many doctors are now subscribing to them ~ but if that's not available to you, I have a professional account as a Certified Health Coach and would be happy to assist with signing up anyone who is interested (no fees/profit - just helping fellow 4s). I have a few who already use my account and are very happy to have access since the costs are almost always less than Amazon and the like. Bonus: they offer auto-refill at no cost. Also, you can purchase teas and other non-supplement related items at wholesale prices! PM me if interested. :)

I've used a variety of manufacturers over the years, but recently, my FM doctor had me switch to a slow release melatonin that seems to help. For insomnia, I am also using a herbal supplement called Serenagen/Metagenics as well as some amino acids, such as glycine/Vital Nutrients and l-theanine/Protocol For Life Balance (also "prescribed" by him). Hope this helps!
Learning to Live (3/4)
Certified Health and Wellness Coach ~ Functional Medicine Coaching Academy