Unfortunate side effect from melatonin.

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
mountaineermd
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Unfortunate side effect from melatonin.

Post by mountaineermd »

Correction, over 50000 people have read this post.
lorlor1221
New User
New User

Post by lorlor1221 »

I recently started taking melatonin a few months ago and starting having diarrhea a few days ago. I am very grateful for this information and will stop taking the melatonin. Just wanted to share that I had no clue what was causing it but I do now. Many thanks for all who shared information here. Again, so grateful I now know what has caused this and do not have to see my MD or Naturopath. Many many thanks!
seachangehealthcoach
Contributor
Contributor

Post by seachangehealthcoach »

lorlor1221 wrote:I recently started taking melatonin a few months ago and starting having diarrhea a few days ago. I am very grateful for this information and will stop taking the melatonin. Just wanted to share that I had no clue what was causing it but I do now. Many thanks for all who shared information here. Again, so grateful I now know what has caused this and do not have to see my MD or Naturopath. Many many thanks!
Hi lorlor1221,
We are so glad you found the information you needed from this forum. I would like to welcome you to the forum and have included a link below to help orient you to our forum. Should you be interested in ApoE4 please keep in touch by posting. We look forward to hearing about our members interests and stories.
Welcome
Jennifer Balzano
Founder, SeaChange Health Coaching
M.A., B.S., Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
montandon1
New User
New User

Post by montandon1 »

Melatonin was recommended by my doctor, starting with 5mg in the evening. When it didn't seem to help my sleep, I upped it to 10mg. Now it seems that 1mg is the correct dose. I have had persistent, debilitating diarrhea for five weeks, worse in the morning, as others reported. Multiple fecal and blood tests, a ct scan ... all were normal. When I found this site, I stopped the melatonin, and this is my sixth day without it. The diarrhea continues, but less frequent. I'm interested to know how long it has taken others to get back to normal. In the meantime, I am trying to alert gastroenterologists to recognizing this problem. I spoke to the gastro advice nurse at my local Kaiser, who reported talking with many people with the exact symptoms, and the same tests that come out normal, but who had never heard of the connection with melatonin. We need to educate doctors to recognize these symptoms and ask about melatonin use in the initial visit of a patient. I was asked if I took any supplements, and mentioned only melatonin, which set off no alarms or recognition of the connection.
SBee
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SBee »

montandon1 wrote:Melatonin was recommended by my doctor, starting with 5mg in the evening. When it didn't seem to help my sleep, I upped it to 10mg. Now it seems that 1mg is the correct dose. I have had persistent, debilitating diarrhea for five weeks, worse in the morning, as others reported. Multiple fecal and blood tests, a ct scan ... all were normal. When I found this site, I stopped the melatonin, and this is my sixth day without it. The diarrhea continues, but less frequent. I'm interested to know how long it has taken others to get back to normal. In the meantime, I am trying to alert gastroenterologists to recognizing this problem. I spoke to the gastro advice nurse at my local Kaiser, who reported talking with many people with the exact symptoms, and the same tests that come out normal, but who had never heard of the connection with melatonin. We need to educate doctors to recognize these symptoms and ask about melatonin use in the initial visit of a patient. I was asked if I took any supplements, and mentioned only melatonin, which set off no alarms or recognition of the connection.
Hello montandon1 and welcome!

Thanks for contributing to the conversation and sharing your experience with melatonin. It sounds like you have already done a lot of detective work in trying to discover the source of the persistent diarrhea. I can imagine that this has been an extremely disabling condition, so I'm glad to hear that there has been some improvement after discontinuing the melatonin! With regard to your question about when your GI system might get back to normal, you might consider reading through the thread to see if others have shared this information. And you might consult with your health professional (if you have not already done so) about taking probiotics to help support the healing of your gut during this time.
If you have an interest in learning more about ApoE4, please visit the Welcome page.
Thanks again for sharing your personal experience, and I wish you continued improvement in your health!

Warmly,
Sue
SBee
ApoE2/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
mountaineermd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mountaineermd »

I am the original author of this discussion wrt melatonin as as cause of persistent diarrhea. The original source that alerted me to this complication, stated that it could take up to six weeks. I my experience, it was resolved within two weeks. I am pleased to know how many people this information has helped. Robert Johnson MD (retired).
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

mountaineermd wrote:I am the original author of this discussion wrt melatonin as as cause of persistent diarrhea. The original source that alerted me to this complication, stated that it could take up to six weeks. I my experience, it was resolved within two weeks. I am pleased to know how many people this information has helped. Robert Johnson MD (retired).
montandon1 wrote:I'm interested to know how long it has taken others to get back to normal.
Montandon1, I case you are not watching this thread closely, I have quoted you here, so you’ll be notified that you got a response.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
mountaineermd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mountaineermd »

Oral melatonin can cause persistent watery diarrhea which can take up to six weeks to resolve. Robert D Johnson MD
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

I haven't been closely following this thread but I've been taking sublingually absorbed melatonin (1 mg) a couple of days a week for a number of years and had no issues with diarrhoea.
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
mountaineermd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mountaineermd »

I believe diarrhea is an uncommon, but not rare side effect of oil melatonin. Robert D. Johnson MD