Should I get genetic counseling before testing for the gene?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
leuqos
Contributor
Contributor

Should I get genetic counseling before testing for the gene?

Post by leuqos »

I am just starting on this journey and wonder if it is advisable to get some genetic counseling before taking the gene test? What has worked for you? Thanks for sharing.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Should I get genetic counseling before testing for the gene?

Post by slacker »

Welcome leuqos!

Here are some thoughts about pros and cons of genetic testing. Genetic counseling is usually performed after testing, but it's possible that you could get it before hand. Insurance coverage is always tricky. The vast majority of us have not had any genetic counseling, either before or after testing. Many are tested by choice through 23andMe, without any understanding of what they are getting into.

Look into our Primer as well. It's helpful not just for ApoE4 carriers, but anyone with a family history of Alzheimer's.
Slacker
E4/E4
Cas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cas »

Hi Leuqos,

Welcome to the site - as slacker has advised the primer is a great starting point and this site as a whole is a fantastic source of support with people at various stages of awareness from those just diagnosed to people who have known for a number of years.

Take care
Catherine
Functional Medicine Coaching Academy Student
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

And leuqos, when you're ready, tell us more about yourself and how you got to us in the "Our Stories" Forum.
Slacker
E4/E4
woleile
Contributor
Contributor

Post by woleile »

I have no experience with counseling, but my first thought is the counselor would be required to give you the party line--there's no cure, there's no treatment that works, yadda yadda. The fact that you're here makes me think maybe you're looking for something other than the party line.
Woleile
E4/E4
Bredesen type 3 (mold toxicity)
homozygous MTHFR C677T, COMT
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

A good counselor will be aware of this useful overview:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanc ... 6/fulltext