Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
acre
Contributor
Contributor

Post by acre »

Hello everyone,
I've discovered three days ago, from promethease (with 23andMe's raw data), that I'm heterozygous for Apo-E4 (3/4).

It was not that shocking. On my maternal line, both my grand-grandmother and my grandmother suffered and are suffering from dementia (although not Alzheimer), and on my paternal line, my grandfather has a form of dementia and even though my aunt says the doctors didn't call it Alzheimer, he's taking meds specific for AD, so I have my doubts. I'd already realized I was more susceptible to it, although I know only one copy is not that significant.
I have other SNPs that increase my chances to develop Alzheimer, but I still have to check how reliable those infos are.

I'm interested in learning more, both for my health in terms of prevention (and possibly my parents', whoever passed me 4) and because I'm a med student.

So again, hello everyone!
be something that you love and understand
med student
Korie
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New member

Post by Korie »

Welcome Acre!

You have certainly come to the right place to learn more about health anI d prevention. Since you are a med student I think you will enjoy the plethora of research we have here on the site.

If you have not yet read the Primer viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418, it's an important place to start on this site. It covers most questions that people ask regarding ApoE4 and is written by physician member Stavia. Also, as I'm sure you've already noted, there is a search function at the top of the page allowing you to search for topics that may have already been discussed. This is quite a well-researched community as you will notice when you conduct a search.

Also, if you haven't yet read Dr. Bredesen's Book 'The End of Alzheimers', many on the site find that is a helpful place to begin as well.

Warmly,
Korie
Functional Medicine Health & Wellness Coach
Apoe4 Intern
acre
Contributor
Contributor

Post by acre »

Hi Korie, and thank you for your answer. Reading the Primer was the first thing I did! :D
med student
acre
Contributor
Contributor

Post by acre »

About Bredesen, was his a formal trial? Has anyone tried to replicate his studies?
med student
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I think mainly published case studies/pilot work so far. I’ve heard he has a trial going on with maybe 100 or so patients that’s being conducted at different clinical centers not all run by him. I think it was in a video with him. Not sure if that qualifies formally as replication. He had trouble getting trials approved because he changes way more than one variable at a time. Cleveland Clinic had the good sense to not let that be in the way, so he’s working with them.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.