Help! I'm going under

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Help! I'm going under

Post by slacker »

Orangeblossom wrote:
Ok my waist to hip ratio seems to be OK. Thanks ;)
And of course, even waist to hip ratio is imperfect - for example, someone who has fat in both places (apple and pear) will have a normal ratio. There is no perfect test. We must interpret all results with intelligence!
Slacker
E4/E4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Lindy wrote:I have not done the full fat dairy because I thought I read somewhere that it’s not good for APOE4s – but I could have that all wrong, as I’ve been trying to stuff my brain with information at the same time I’m stuffing my tummy. Tricky balance indeed when everything is so complex.
Both Dr Bredesen and Gundry suggest avoidance of dairy. I suspect they take this position due to high saturated fat content, and potentially inflammatory. There is a thread on dairy from A1 vs A2 cows that you might find of interest; you can find it here.

With that being said, you have to listen to your body and decide for yourself. Gaining weight is important if you are underweight. Selecting more plant based fats may be helpful. And yes, it's complicated!
Slacker
E4/E4
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

slacker wrote:
Lindy wrote:I have not done the full fat dairy because I thought I read somewhere that it’s not good for APOE4s – but I could have that all wrong, as I’ve been trying to stuff my brain with information at the same time I’m stuffing my tummy. Tricky balance indeed when everything is so complex.
Both Dr Bredesen and Gundry suggest avoidance of dairy. I suspect they take this position due to high saturated fat content, and potentially inflammatory. There is a thread on dairy from A1 vs A2 cows that you might find of interest; you can find it here.

With that being said, you have to listen to your body and decide for yourself. Gaining weight is important if you are underweight. Selecting more plant based fats may be helpful. And yes, it's complicated!
Another perspective on full fat dairy here, although more from an insulin resistance perspective (as MM's diet is based on helping diabetes and blood sugar issues). https://thebloodsugardiet.com/is-it-ok- ... nd-butter/
onceuponatime
Contributor
Contributor

Post by onceuponatime »

CHOCOLATE!
Hi there. I am brand new on the forum and found this thread looking for Omega 3 info for vegans. I, too, have lost quite a bit of weight but my genetics predispose me to obesity. While my top weight has been 153 lbs, that's not too dramatic a "fat" look on my 5'4"s, though I do feel it. Even at 135 some years ago, my BMI was at 30! So I am losing weight - 17 lbs in the last six months - and am concerned about losing too much.
Anyway, I wanted to add in the idea of Lindt 90% chocolate. I eat at least three squares as my breakfast, broken into small pieces and each dipped in Adam's Peanut Butter and then alternately in toasted sesame seeds or cacao nibs. It is pretty high in calories but not that high in carbs. Hoping you're winning the battle by now, anyway, but thought I'd add this idea to the chat!
Melanie R.
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Melanie R. »

onceuponatime wrote:CHOCOLATE!
Hello Onceuponatime,

Welcome to the forum! Thank you so much for your contributions regarding your own personal journey with food and diet. I am personally a big fan of dark chocolate and nut butters so this really caught my eye. I'm happy to hear it's working for you :D I'm going to try this myself!
If you haven't already seen it on the site, there is a wonderful Primer written by Dr. Stavia a member of the forum, it's a great place to start. This is an introduction to APOE4, biochemistry and possible prevention strategies.
The wiki is also another valuable and informative guide to help you navigate your way through.

Feel free to introduce yourself anytime in Our Stories , we'd love to learn more about you!

Once again welcome to the site. We're so glad you found us.

Warm regards,
Melanie
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (ReCODE)
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

onceuponatime wrote:CHOCOLATE!
Hi there. I am brand new on the forum and found this thread looking for Omega 3 info for vegans. I, too, have lost quite a bit of weight but my genetics predispose me to obesity. While my top weight has been 153 lbs, that's not too dramatic a "fat" look on my 5'4"s, though I do feel it. Even at 135 some years ago, my BMI was at 30! So I am losing weight - 17 lbs in the last six months - and am concerned about losing too much.
Anyway, I wanted to add in the idea of Lindt 90% chocolate. I eat at least three squares as my breakfast, broken into small pieces and each dipped in Adam's Peanut Butter and then alternately in toasted sesame seeds or cacao nibs. It is pretty high in calories but not that high in carbs. Hoping you're winning the battle by now, anyway, but thought I'd add this idea to the chat!
Hi Onceuponatime,

I would like to join Melanie in welcoming you to the forum! I also love dark chocolate. Recently, I've been addicted to Lili's 70% dark chocolate sweetened with stevia. I am obsessed with salty almonds flavor. I like that Lili's makes super small squares to help you to control portion size, or not :)

I hope you have found information on Vegan Omega 3 fatty acid sources, if not please let us know and we will direct you to a right resource.

Kudus to you for keeping the weight off and understanding the connection between extra body weight and brain health!

If you are not sure how our forum works and you are looking for useful tips please click here.

We are glad you have found us! Please do not hesitate to post if questions come up.

Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline