Frustrated over finances

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Frustrated over finances

Post by SusanJ »

Wise approach, Tincup. We really have to look at what our individual challenges are, and not just take a list of supplements because the protocol says so.

It is frustrating Pretzel. So many functional docs are now going to membership models. It can become a financial drain. Using Tincup's approach, can you identify your individual health priorities? (Insulin resistance, more exercise, etc.) Are there recurring health issues in your family? (Like my Dad's side is Type 2 diabetes.) Maybe those can help you prioritize testing and supplements.
PretzelViking
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PretzelViking »

I have seen the doctor and showed him "The End of Alzheimers"; he looked at Dr. Bredesen and stated that he "had a good resume". He reassured me that I am doing a lot with my diet, activities and sleep and not to worry too much about lab work. He recommended two other books "The Brain Warrior's Way" which I got from the library, so far nothing new there, and another "Female Brain Gone Insane" about menopause and drops in hormones. He likes me to be on baby aspirin, but I remember reading that aspirin can cause inflammation; I searched "The End of Alzheimers" but couldn't find it again...maybe I heard it on APOe4 instead? I was eating one daily but went off this spring after hearing that, didn't mention to my doctor as I couldn't find a source, so now until I can find another reference I'm taking every second or third day.
PretzelViking
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PretzelViking »

Thanks, Tincup!
PretzelViking
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PretzelViking »

SusanJ wrote:Wise approach, Tincup. We really have to look at what our individual challenges are, and not just take a list of supplements because the protocol says so.

It is frustrating Pretzel. So many functional docs are now going to membership models. It can become a financial drain. Using Tincup's approach, can you identify your individual health priorities? (Insulin resistance, more exercise, etc.) Are there recurring health issues in your family? (Like my Dad's side is Type 2 diabetes.) Maybe those can help you prioritize testing and supplements.
Hi, Susan!
I am aware of my family history, Alzheimers for Dad, Parkinsons Mom, both had arthritis and high blood pressure. I have been conscious of my diet but also struggling financially for most of my life, but am investing more heavily in improved diet lately (as also we as a civilization are more awake now with some better choices available); I have been physically active for my adult life also, and my blood pressure is very good. Since I've changed my diet and sleeping arrangements my allergies to pollen and pet hair have dramatically reduced. My local doctor just suggested testosterone as I just showed him lab results from a local health fair that happened the end of April. I think that my natural testosterone levels may have improved slightly from my better diet since then...right now I can't afford anything more, but planning for the near future. Thank you for your thoughts; I really am very grateful to have found this site!
BethJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BethJ »

I am so glad to have found that others are experiencing the financial stresses associated with the Protocal. I am a 58 yr. woman, 4/4 on Dr.Bredesen’s Protocal for prevention. I do all my labs directly through life extension for a fraction of the price (highly recommend) and most of my supplements through Full Script. Nov.1st will be one year and I have already spent $20,000 on everything concerning the Protocal ie. hormones, supplements, Dr.Appts., blood work, other testings ie. saliva cortisol, DMSA for toxins, mold remediation etc. I have yet to go to a biological dentist to remove amalgams and then deal with detox issues. The cost is completely unsustainable, I have gone through my savings. It is extremely hard to know which of the many areas to pay attention to as one thing relates to another in our bodies. In my case I have inflammation issues and so many things can be the cause and need to be addressed like hormones and thyroid. The Protocal on it’s own is stressful and I am diligent, but the financial stress of not knowing how I can sustain this and feeling like I do not have an option but to be on this Protocal as I am deathly fearful (my mother suffering from this disease now). I have posed this question to Dr. Bredeson in his last Town Hall...how is this sustainable and what are his recommendations for someone who can only spend $3500-$5000 per year on healthcare, most people do not have even that. My question was not answered as of yet. What I find remarkable is that this disease is in epidemic proportions and it should be able to be made available for all financial levels. It’s hard enough living with the knowledge of being 4/4 and feeling I need to do everything possible. I have also recently read a 90% risk when 4/4 ? Is that true? Dr. Bredesen says a little over 50%. I would love some input! Thank you, BethJ
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I also can't afford the Recode and find it very wrong that there's an "entrance fee" for even just getting a list of the practitioners. Healthcare and health prevention should not be the privilege of a few and I think it's wrong that Dale Bredesen has set it up as information for the elite. I have found that working independently without trained Recode doctors is very, very doable, thanks to this forum and the wonderful contributors here.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Chameleon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Chameleon »

The cost of this type of care can definitely be a limiting factor. I find it puzzling why the list of qualified practitioners is hidden behind their website. I would think you would want that out there for all to see so that the Bredesen Protocol becomes more well known. Perhaps with the recent sale of MPI this will change.
BethJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BethJ »

I hope so. I also feel that all practitioners that are trained in the Protocal should have set fees for their Bredesen patients. They are all using the same training and patient’s recode reports and individual recommendations yet their fees can vary greatly. It’s a terrible feeling to have to choose between Your brain health and money.
Indywoman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Indywoman »

I am on the ReCode Protocol, and have the same frustrations as have been mentioned since the July post. I mostly have toxicity issues and hormonal issues, getting results back two months ago and retesting in four months. Right now I am trying to figure out how much to spend addressing these two specific areas vs. the general supplements Dr. Bredesen recommends for everyone. It IS too much money, so I simply gave my wonderful practitioner a figure and said, "Within this dollar figure, what should I address?" I perfected this line of thinking in my 20's and early 30's when I had less money, and had to prop up cars that had lots of problems including an old Vega where my 'Flintstone' foot could fit through a hole in the floorboard caused by salted roads. Many of us simply cannot spend what is required at this stage, and so we have to triage. This alone has given me tremendous peace of mind.

I am vegan and can control my diet and fasting.I can manage my sleep. I am in charge of my exercise, I can meditate 15-20 minutes a day. I absolutely am NOT in control of all the supplements that I am unable to afford. And yes, Dr. Bredesen should answer more of the questions on cost, but in the meantime, we just cannot get overly stressed about what we cannot finance or control and cause even more problems. I love this site; I admire the many who contribute, and have learned so much, and appreciate those who have answered questions privately. Thank you for your post, PretzelViking.... It is front and center and the proverbial elephant in the room.
4/4. Do something today that your future self will thank you for.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

BethJ wrote: It’s hard enough living with the knowledge of being 4/4 and feeling I need to do everything possible. I have also recently read a 90% risk when 4/4 ? Is that true? Dr. Bredesen says a little over 50%. I would love some input!..I also feel that all practitioners that are trained in the Protocal should have set fees for their Bredesen patients. They are all using the same training and patient’s recode reports and individual recommendations yet their fees can vary greatly. It’s a terrible feeling to have to choose between Your brain health and money.
Beth, although Dr. Bredesen's analogy of plugging "36 holes" in our roof is a helpful way to think of addressing multiple areas of health at once, it's unlikely that each of us has "36 holes", or the same issues. That's why Stavia in the Primer, and others like Tincup, talk about working on the big things first, like sleep, exercise, lowering stress, keeping blood pressure in a good range and reducing insulin resistance through changes in diet. Measuring B-12 and keeping it above 500 has been specifically recommended to me by the neurologist who is in charge of the clinical study I am in. Other studies suggest that most people in North America don't get enough Vitamin D and recommend measuring that and getting it closer to 75-100. What is important for you to measure is probably going to be based on how you feel, what your family history is (heart issues? diabetes? auto-immune issues?)

I really want you to be reassured that it's not likely you have a 90% chance of developing Alzheimers! Multiple studies of large numbers of people have been done in the US and Europe and with smaller populations in other areas. The likelihood of either Mild Cognitive Impairment or dementia (Alzheimer's or another type such as vascular dementia), while it can't be predicted with certainty for any one person, is probably in the range of 30%-55% for someone with ApoE4/4 by the time they are 85, if they are 60-75 now. For someone younger like you, who has more years to implement healthy habits, and more years for results of research to aid in prevention and treatment, the risk will likely go down.

That's why I like Indywoman's quote so much. Don't spend money that you'd be better off saving for current or future needs, or for being able to have wonderful experiences. And don't drive a car like her Chevy Vega, with holes in the floorboards! [I personally got rid of my own Chevy Vega when it lost control on a stretch of ice in PA and instead of a smooth ride onto the median decided to skid into the "Stay off the median" sign, which obliterated the right side of the car. My 1974 lesson in "don't worry about what you can't control."]
Indywoman wrote:Many of us simply cannot spend what is required at this stage, and so we have to triage. This alone has given me tremendous peace of mind...we just cannot get overly stressed about what we cannot finance or control and cause even more problems.
4/4 and still an optimist!