Supplement sources - easier list?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Lakota
Contributor
Contributor

Supplement sources - easier list?

Post by Lakota »

Hi all, I'm new to the site, after just finishing reading Dr. Bredesen's book. I'm a bit overwhelmed by a lot of it, right now especially about all the recommended supplements and vitamins, etc. I know it all needs to be individualized, but has anyone created an easier list of what all is generally needed and the times of day to take these? Where is a good source to get the highest quality and reliable supplements?

I haven't done any testing yet, other than my routine preventive labs a while ago. I have a terrible genetic history on my mother's side, with 3 of the 4 siblings developing AD. I don't know if I'll be brave enough to get the genetic testing.
Karengo
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Supplement sources - easier list?

Post by Karengo »

Lakota wrote:Hi all, I'm new to the site, after just finishing reading Dr. Bredesen's book. I'm a bit overwhelmed by a lot of it, right now especially about all the recommended supplements and vitamins, etc. I know it all needs to be individualized, but has anyone created an easier list of what all is generally needed and the times of day to take these? Where is a good source to get the highest quality and reliable supplements?

I haven't done any testing yet, other than my routine preventive labs a while ago. I have a terrible genetic history on my mother's side, with 3 of the 4 siblings developing AD. I don't know if I'll be brave enough to get the genetic testing.
Hello Lakota: Welcome to our community! Totally understand that you may be feeling a bit overwhelmed right now after reading Bredesen's book. There's a lot of information to take in! I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses from other members who will want to share their tips with you. I know you get that it's up to the individual what's the best approach to take so I encourage you to take things slowly and experiment with what works for you. At the same time, I appreciate you're looking for some direction.

First off, I would like to direct you to the Primer created by our physician member, Stavia. If you want to search further for particular topics you can either use the spyglass in top right hand corner of web page or you can also use Wiki

Here's an overview you may find useful Wiki-Bredesen

Also I know you may not be ready for testing ( I confess after I ordered my 23andMe kit at Christmas it sat on my desk for months before I had the courage to send it off so it's a process) but if you're considering it here's an article for you Thinking-AboutTesting

Finally, you might be interested in reading about Julie's protocol which describes her strategies and what a typical day looks like for her that you might find interesting Julie-Protocol

Feel free to ask questions and make comments as you explore the site. Forgive me if I'm overwhelming you with the information I'm sharing with you here. My heart's in the right place and I'm doing my best to support you and help with what you're looking for.

Wishing you a warm welcome. Look forward to seeing you around the site :D
~Karengo
ApoE4 Support Team
FMCA certified Health Coach
"For whatever we lose like a you or a me, it's always ourselves we find in the sea"
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Welcome Lakota;

If you are young, healthy, and have no cognitive problems, the supplement part of Dr Bredesen' protocol is probably the least important component. I suggest focusing on nutrition, exercise, sleep, and stress reduction for best results. One step at a time! Even these alone can be overwhelming.

Karengo has suggested our Primer, which is a great starting point, and compatible (but not identical) with Bredesen's approach. Stavia has her own take on supplements, which may be helpful for you. You can find her supplement recommendation here.
Slacker
E4/E4
Lakota
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lakota »

"Slacker - Thanks, I'm not exactly young, almost 65, and retired, so thankfully little stress. I'm exercising and working some on nutrition, but I guess I'm lazy and taking pills or supplements seems like one of the easiest things for me to implement. Separate subject, but as I was looking for anylabtestnow sites, it doesn't look like there are any in California. Thanks for your responses and encouragement.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Lakota wrote:Separate subject, but as I was looking for anylabtestnow sites, it doesn't look like there are any in California. Thanks for your responses and encouragement.
I did a search on "direct to consumer laboratory testing" and found other companies similar to anylabtestnow. One of these is Health Testing Centers, which did have locations close to a prior home's zip code in CA. I can't vouch for them specifically. Just so you know there are other companies providing similar services... :)
Slacker
E4/E4
Lakota
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lakota »

slacker wrote:
Lakota wrote:Separate subject, but as I was looking for anylabtestnow sites, it doesn't look like there are any in California. Thanks for your responses and encouragement.
I did a search on "direct to consumer laboratory testing" and found other companies similar to anylabtestnow. One of these is Health Testing Centers, which did have locations close to a prior home's zip code in CA. I can't vouch for them specifically. Just so you know there are other companies providing similar services... :)

Thanks so much!