New here, e4/e4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Doglet
New User
New User

New here, e4/e4

Post by Doglet »

Hi everyone. I found out a few days ago thru 23andMe that I'm e4/e4. I was surprised, but not very. My mom has one e4 allele, she is 65 and shows no cognitive decline, but her dad is currently late stage Alzheimers at age 84 (his brother also died from Alzheimer's as well as other brain problems). On my dad's side, there appears to be no Alzheimers in the female line, but he and many of his male relatives died before getting old enough to find out. I'm 38 and I live a pretty healthy lifestyle now, but definitely not in my younger years. I exercise regularly, I have been a pescatarian for 5 years and I eat lots of fruits and veggies, but I also eat things I probably shouldn't. I ordered Bredesen's book last night off Amazon, I hope to adopt more healthy habits that I'll read about. In the meantime, I could use some words of encouragement. Even though I have some time before any cognitive changes will likely show themselves, the news of being e4/e4 is still rather depressing. I'm getting married in a couple months and my fiancé has no e4 alleles, and I feel bad for what he might have to go thru in the future with me.
e4/e4
Liko
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New here, e4/e4

Post by Liko »

Hi Doglet, Welcome to the group!

It's very understandable to feel the way you do after receiving this news. This community can be a great source of support and encouragement.

It's great that you have Dr. Bredesen's book on the way--many members here are following his guidance and have found hope and empowerment through the book. You can also take a look at the Primer. It's written by physician member Stavia and provides a ton of info that I'm sure you'll find helpful. She also outlines health interventions you can review and determine which you may want to take on first. A great thing about these lifestyle changes is that many of them (sleep, exercise, stress management, blood sugar regulation) are good for us regardless of genetic status. Maybe you and your fiance would want to work on some health goals together?

Remember, our genes are not our destiny! (See the primer :) )

Again, welcome to the group! Please do continue to share your questions and experiences. Here's a page in the Wiki (also a great resource--find it at the top navigation bar) to help you [url=hhttps://www.apoe4.info/wiki/%22How-To%22_Get_th ... fo_website]Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website[/url]
Kaliko
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New here, e4/e4

Post by Magda »

Doglet wrote:Hi everyone. I found out a few days ago thru 23andMe that I'm e4/e4. I was surprised, but not very. My mom has one e4 allele, she is 65 and shows no cognitive decline, but her dad is currently late stage Alzheimers at age 84 (his brother also died from Alzheimer's as well as other brain problems). On my dad's side, there appears to be no Alzheimers in the female line, but he and many of his male relatives died before getting old enough to find out. I'm 38 and I live a pretty healthy lifestyle now, but definitely not in my younger years. I exercise regularly, I have been a pescatarian for 5 years and I eat lots of fruits and veggies, but I also eat things I probably shouldn't. I ordered Bredesen's book last night off Amazon, I hope to adopt more healthy habits that I'll read about. In the meantime, I could use some words of encouragement. Even though I have some time before any cognitive changes will likely show themselves, the news of being e4/e4 is still rather depressing. I'm getting married in a couple months and my fiancé has no e4 alleles, and I feel bad for what he might have to go thru in the future with me.

Hello Doglet,
Welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear about your grandfather's and his side of the family health challenges.
I know that is scary to find out the result form the genetic report, but once you know it, you have a great power to adjustments your lifestyle and diet to minimize negative aspects to the gene.
The science is on your site! Dr Bredesen's work, research and the book are a great example how much we can do to protect ourselves.
I think you are in a great place, it sounds you want to take action right a way, and that you are already doing many things to stay healthy. The book, our PRIMER and the forum will definitely help you to put everything together, and individualize the protocol to your unique needs and maybe you will influence your mom :)

If at any point of your journey of discoveries and learning you will get stuck or simply a question arises, please post here. We would love to hear more from you.

Be well,
Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline