How many of us have Frank's Sign?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Plumster
Contributor
Contributor

How many of us have Frank's Sign?

Postby Plumster » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:17 am

A diagonal crease in the earlobe is indicative of an increased cardiovascular risk. This crease is referred to as Frank's Sign. I have a slight crease and am wondering how many of us 4s have it? I find myself staring at people's ears now. :)
https://stanfordmedicine25.stanford.edu ... -sign.html
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR

TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: How many of us have Frank's Sign?

Postby TheresaB » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:25 am

Interesting. I am a 4/4, I have a dent/dip, don't think it qualifies as a full fledged crease.

My father, who obviously had at least one 4, didn't have any diagnosed heart issues, (he refused to see a doctor) but his death certificate at age 79 did cite atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease as cause of death and he did not have a crease, just checked from a photograph.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4

NancyM
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby NancyM » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:42 pm

I've heard of this relationship since I was a kid as I remember my dad and grandmother discussing it. They both had creases in their earlobes. My grandmother died of heart disease at 73 and my dad from AD at 83. I don't have a crease though, thankfully I guess.

TWBD
Contributor
Contributor

Postby TWBD » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:18 pm

I have them. I also read about people who had creases and heart disease but got healthy and the creases disappeared, so I hope mine go away soon!
APOE 3/4

Brian4
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Brian4 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:24 am

Plumster, thanks for the cool find! I'd never heard of this.

And... I have this in both ears, though not too severely (worse on one side). I remember noticing it in my mid-40s (ten years ago). I assumed it was from sleeping on my side, which sometimes folded my (detached) earlobes over.

I have mild Raynaud's, which also might be a cause – I'm guessing (and hoping, since the alternative is non-fun).

Having just gone into PubMed, I'd say this is actually kind of scary. The correlation with vascular problems isn't extremely tight, but it does appear to be real.

Brian

TheBrain
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby TheBrain » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:40 am

I don't have a diagonal crease in either earlobe.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!

CarrieS
Support Team
Support Team

Postby CarrieS » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:46 am

I have it on my left ear only.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist

ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ApropoE4 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:46 am

The correlation between having an earlobe crease and being a male aged over 50s is second only to the correlation between it and being such a male who also smokes.

This makes it very hard to establish a causal relationship with CAD and has led to many conflicting studies, although of course anything that helps scare people into a better lifestyle and medical care is positive. ;)

Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Fiver » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:17 am

If I have plastic surgery to remove the creases I'm good, right? ;)

Actually, I have one. On the side I sleep on. I guess that makes me a FNK3/4. I was just looking for biomarkers of progress. So if it goes away I'm claiming it as a dietary win.
Four relatives with AD. Concerned, but hopeful. Introverted, but will talk about science.

chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby chrissyr » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:08 pm

I would have sworn to you that I don't have them until I checked in the mirror. Yup, I've got them, left more pronounced than right.

Return to “Our Stories”