How many of us have Frank's Sign?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

How many of us have Frank's Sign?

Post by Plumster »

A diagonal crease in the earlobe is indicative of an increased cardiovascular risk. This crease is referred to as Frank's Sign. I have a slight crease and am wondering how many of us 4s have it? I find myself staring at people's ears now. :)
https://stanfordmedicine25.stanford.edu ... -sign.html
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: How many of us have Frank's Sign?

Post by TheresaB »

Interesting. I am a 4/4, I have a dent/dip, don't think it qualifies as a full fledged crease.

My father, who obviously had at least one 4, didn't have any diagnosed heart issues, (he refused to see a doctor) but his death certificate at age 79 did cite atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease as cause of death and he did not have a crease, just checked from a photograph.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
NancyM
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NancyM »

I've heard of this relationship since I was a kid as I remember my dad and grandmother discussing it. They both had creases in their earlobes. My grandmother died of heart disease at 73 and my dad from AD at 83. I don't have a crease though, thankfully I guess.
TWBD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TWBD »

I have them. I also read about people who had creases and heart disease but got healthy and the creases disappeared, so I hope mine go away soon!
APOE 3/4
Brian4
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Brian4 »

Plumster, thanks for the cool find! I'd never heard of this.

And... I have this in both ears, though not too severely (worse on one side). I remember noticing it in my mid-40s (ten years ago). I assumed it was from sleeping on my side, which sometimes folded my (detached) earlobes over.

I have mild Raynaud's, which also might be a cause – I'm guessing (and hoping, since the alternative is non-fun).

Having just gone into PubMed, I'd say this is actually kind of scary. The correlation with vascular problems isn't extremely tight, but it does appear to be real.

Brian
ε4/ε4 (for now).
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

I don't have a diagonal crease in either earlobe.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

I have it on my left ear only.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ApropoE4 »

The correlation between having an earlobe crease and being a male aged over 50s is second only to the correlation between it and being such a male who also smokes.

This makes it very hard to establish a causal relationship with CAD and has led to many conflicting studies, although of course anything that helps scare people into a better lifestyle and medical care is positive. ;)
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

If I have plastic surgery to remove the creases I'm good, right? ;)

Actually, I have one. On the side I sleep on. I guess that makes me a FNK3/4. I was just looking for biomarkers of progress. So if it goes away I'm claiming it as a dietary win.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

I would have sworn to you that I don't have them until I checked in the mirror. Yup, I've got them, left more pronounced than right.