A newbie intro

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

A newbie intro

Post by DebbieG »

Hi! I joined apoe4.info after I learned that my mom, who is in the MCI stage of Alzheimers, is E3/E4. After attempting to find useful information on the Alzheimer's Association website, and seeing my mom wait months to see a well-regarded Alzheimer's doctor who had absolutely nothing to offer, I was so pleased to find this site.

About the same time, my sister came across the Bredeson Recode protocol, which Dad is implementing with her. Mom is almost 84, and I think she must be one of the older Recode patients. Managing her supplements, meals, sleep, exercise, lab tests, etc is truly a full time job for him. I'm in awe of all the new things he's had to learn and all that he's managing to juggle, with good humor and kindness to my mom, who isn't always grateful for the help.

Since then I've learned through 23&me that I am also E3/E4. I'm 64 and am definitely having "senior moments", but I'm trying various supplements from the End of Alzheimers and now through a list of supplements that Dr. Mary Kay Ross provides for family members of her patients. I'm in good health and I think the supplements and diet changes are helping me. When I learned about my E4 status, I felt a bit down for a few days, but now I feel confident that my fate is in my own hands, thanks particularly to the good information here and through my parents' work implementing Recode.

One good thing about introducing myself is that I can thank JulieG. I initially patterned my supplement regimen on the one she described in End of Alzheimers, and I have shown the picture of her lunch and dinner plates to my parents and others to demonstrate what a good ketoflex meal looks like. So, thank you very much, JulieG! You definitely helped us.

Best regards,
Debbie
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Re: A newbie intro

Post by JML »

DebbieG wrote: Managing her supplements, meals, sleep, exercise, lab tests, etc is truly a full time job for him. I'm in awe of all the new things he's had to learn and all that he's managing to juggle, with good humor and kindness to my mom, who isn't always grateful for the help.
Hi DebbieG,

Welcome to the site and thanks for sharing your story. Kudos to your dad for taking on this challenge with good humor and kindness. Your mom is very lucky to have him as a care partner! His brain should also benefit from all the new learning!

And that's great that you are seeing some benefit from the diet and supplements. Feeling that your fate is in your hands is so empowering! I learned about the ReCode Protocol by helping my parents implement it in their lives, and I feel lucky to have "stumbled" on it in this way. Good health to you and your family!
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Re: A newbie intro

Post by DebbieG »

Thank you, Julie. I wish the same to you and yours.
Debbie