APOE4 Retest

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: APOE4 Retest

Post by Anna »

Welcome, Bobbie! My 23andMe and Promethease reports revealed a 4/4 status. I can't say what's right for you, but I personally do not want to have my results confirmed for two reasons: 1) I don't want this in my medical record and 2) Although it is extremely unlikely that the result is wrong, it is kind of nice to hang onto this fantasy. You may want to think about what you would do differently if another test did not show two copies of APOE4.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
SunnySky
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SunnySky »

Since I'm the health nut (due to my MS) and a forum and FB junkie, I'm here on behalf of my 67 year young husband. I saw our 23&me reports where he has both variants for APOE4. Does this mean 4/4? Both RS7412 & rs429358 show, C;C.

I've noticed a change in him and just thought it was because he was laid off work, 2015, at age 64. While he tried to get other work, age discrimination is real. :(

After realizing his APOE4 variant report, I see even more changes since he started transporting new trucks between dealerships, in-state and interstate last November 2017. I checked out from the library Dr Brederson's book, The End of Alzheimer's. I see a toxic environment is very bad for Alz. New vehicles are awful for that. I went on one of the transports that took seven or eight hours total (in a new vehicle) and my eyes were red. That's how the toxicity showed for me. Lord knows what it's doing internally.

Lastly, I started to keep a list of "Surprising thing he forgot..." Why? It's too easy to say, oh, he's fine... if I have things written down to keep track, there's no fooling me.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Hi SunnySky and welcome!
SunnySky wrote: I'm here on behalf of my 67 year young husband. I saw our 23&me reports where he has both variants for APOE4. Does this mean 4/4? Both RS7412 & rs429358 show, C;C.
You can confirm your husband's 23andMe results with this SNPedia table. As you've just recently joined us, I'd also like to recommend our site Primer as a great place to learn more about this gene. It was written by Stavia, a practicing physician and also a 4/4. The Primer will take you through a full discussion of our gene and what the impact may be as we age. It includes prioritized lifestyle strategies we believe can go a long way towards modifying it's negative effects, increasing our "healthspan", so to speak. We like to say here that "genes are not destiny!" It's never too early to point that out, and I hope that both you and your husband will repeat that mantra frequently as you continue to work your way through the volume of available information about ApoE4.

Since you've mentioned you're reading Dr. Bredesen's wonderful book, you may already have a good handle on our ApoE4 allele and healthful strategies that your husband should consider employing if he hasn't already. Just a quick reminder here - which I'm sure you already know - is that our gene is a risk factor for late onset Alzheimer's disease, defined as after age 65. And from what I have come to understand, symptoms typically don't present until years later. Understandably, many of us 4/4s (yes - I'm a member of the club!) tend to be on high alert for any outward signs of cognitive changes before age 65, and that may very well be a good plan. But I do feel that we need to be cautious and not overlook other possible causes of apparent "changes" in us that could be due to undiagnosed health issues such as nutritional deficiencies, depression, possible environmental toxins as you already mentioned, and so on. A thorough physical exam at this point is always a good idea.

As you continue to familiarize yourselves with our site, you may find our Wiki How-To-Guide a helpful resource. The Wiki also offers in-depth discussions on topics of interest to our members. Our search function found under the magnifying glass along the upper right of this page can help you quickly find forum topics of interest.

SunnySky, please don't hesitate to ask questions of the group at any time; this is a knowledgeable and very supportive community. Keep in mind that we've all been where you and your husband are now, and understand what you're going through. Looking forward to hearing more from you along the way...
warmly, Lucy
srbogert
Contributor
Contributor

Post by srbogert »

Hello Sunny Sky - Welcome to the group,
Lucy has already given you some great places to get started on the site ( primer, How to, and Wiki resources.) Please share and participate with us.

From your post, you seem to be quite concerned about your husband's cognitive health. That is commendable. As Lucy mentioned, there are lots of factors that can contribute to changes in memory and cognition. Even something as simple as disturbed sleep cycles on a long haul truck delivery can have a significant impact. Is your husband also concerned about the changes, or is he not seeing things as you do? As you probably know - It will be difficult for him to make any changes until he agrees that there is a problem.

If his condition is a real concern for you, I'd encourage you to find a medical practitioner trained in Functional Medicine and/or the ReCoDe protocol who can help you. This site (and others) can be a great source of general information regarding APOE and Cognitive decline, but they are not a substitute for individualize medical care provided by a qualified professional practitioner. A qualified professional will be able to run the tests and do the analysis needed for a definitive diagnosis and treatment protocol. This is not something that you want to leave up to "Dr Google". A medical work-up may also help your husband become more engaged with treatment if he is not currently on-board. Best Wishes...
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Dan Parkie 234
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dan Parkie 234 »

You found gold in this forum Rubrobben! I recommend that you give yourself a lot of time to assimilate all the incredible information that is available here before you make decisions about what to do next. This is a gateway to the future of medicine. For me, it was a mental adjustment to just comprehend the basics of these discussions. I took the 23andMe test first, and then after about six months I took the Genos.com whole exome test, and then after another couple months I took an Athena (owned by Quest Research) test, which I do not have the results from yet. You can learn more from every step along the way. Take heart, you are in great company.
Dan
SunnySky
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SunnySky »

Thanks, Lucy.

"...our gene is a risk factor for late onset Alzheimer's disease, defined as after age 65. And from what I have come to understand, symptoms typically don't present until years later." DH is 67.5; the only other health issue is BPH (prostate) & hypothyroidism which he takes NDT and liothyronine. He's definitely 4/4.

I doubt none of the RECODE doctors accept Medicare...

By the way, a few years ago, his doctor was made aware he was having memory issues, and even had him on a prescription that he used for just a few months--I don't recall the name of it. There was a side effect he didn't like, so he stopped. Well, when he later applied for long-term care insurance, he was denied--probably because of what was in his chart! Grrrrr.Image
SunnySky
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: APOE4 Retest

Post by SunnySky »

srbogert wrote:Hello Sunny Sky - Welcome to the group,
Lucy has already given you some great places to get started on the site ( primer, How to, and Wiki resources.) Please share and participate with us.

From your post, you seem to be quite concerned about your husband's cognitive health. That is commendable. As Lucy mentioned, there are lots of factors that can contribute to changes in memory and cognition. Even something as simple as disturbed sleep cycles on a long haul truck delivery can have a significant impact. Is your husband also concerned about the changes, or is he not seeing things as you do? As you probably know - It will be difficult for him to make any changes until he agrees that there is a problem.

If his condition is a real concern for you, I'd encourage you to find a medical practitioner trained in Functional Medicine and/or the ReCoDe protocol who can help you. This site (and others) can be a great source of general information regarding APOE and Cognitive decline, but they are not a substitute for individualize medical care provided by a qualified professional practitioner. A qualified professional will be able to run the tests and do the analysis needed for a definitive diagnosis and treatment protocol. This is not something that you want to leave up to "Dr Google". A medical work-up may also help your husband become more engaged with treatment if he is not currently on-board. Best Wishes...
Hi, SrBogert.

Thanks for your message.

The transport of new vehicles is just a day trip, but 3-4 times a week.... for 4-6-8 & even 12+ hours. Definitely a toxic environment! https://www.awakeningfromalzheimers.com ... the-brain/

Another one:l on why the new car smell is SO bad....

"...while the scent of a new car may generate good feelings related to the ownership of a new luxury toy, the scent carries SIGNIFICANT HEALTH RISKS and car manufacturers do not purposely include it in new cars."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.m ... spx?espv=1

You get the idea.

Both his father and mother had dementia.... never heard the "A" word, but surely it's related.