How many of us 4/4 are out there?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: How many of us 4/4 are out there?

Post by NF52 »

Markus wrote:I'm also 4/4 and will share my story when I decide to take the time.
Hi Markus,
We welcome your story whenever you decide it's the right time (and some people like me never post "our story", but just share it as we want in posts). Feel free to jump in wherever you like, since your post earlier on Chris Masterjohn and your SNPs suggests you have a lot to offer!

Given your background knowledge, you might especially like the Methylation section referenced by SusanJ in the thread you commented on earlier. It's located in the Wiki. Time-saving tips on how to search, how to quote so users are notified of your reply, and how to send Private Messages, among other topics are in the How-to Guide in the Wiki.

Always glad to hear from another 4/4!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Indywoman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Indywoman »

Hi Lulitamae!

Wasn't sure if by "Wondering how many of us, blessed with the 4/4, are out there", you meant on the planet or on this site. Folks have given you the more planetary view, and I don't think there has been a survey on this site of those who are homozygous, carry just one allele, or are on this site as caregivers.

There's a special feel when you are APOE 4/4. You feel more vulnerable on your bad days, and kind of intrigued on your good days. Though I was horribly devastated last February when I learned my status, I swung into action, and now am doing everything I can to beat the odds. People are so helpful, so compassionate, and so damn smart on this site, so please feel welcomed, something you will witness over time as you peruse through the posts.

By now you have gotten your baseline from your neurologist- a good thing to do. Preparing for "life going off the rails" is just good sense and proactive so kudos to you. In the meantime, when you don't want to exercise, or are feeling a bit blue, don't forget the Rocky theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhlPAj38rHc

The comments below it are almost as fun and as uplifting as the story and song.
4/4. Do something today that your future self will thank you for.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

According to Bredesen, there are about 7 million 4/4s in the U.S. In comparison, there are 75 million Americans with one copy.
From the interview conducted by Rhonda Patrick from Found My Fitness:
https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/dale-bredesen
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Anna »

Greetings Lulitamae! In spite of there being millions of 4/4's out there, I know that I felt very abnormal and unlucky when I learned I was 4/4 in late 2016. I wondered, "Why me?" I had never felt so alone. Fortunately, I found this wonderful site soon afterwards, and connecting with other 4/4's has been vital for my sanity.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more