How many of us 4/4 are out there?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Lulitamae
New User
New User

How many of us 4/4 are out there?

Post by Lulitamae »

Hi, brand new to all this. Wondering how many of us, blessed with the 4/4, are out there? Are we a large existing group that I am new to or is this a growing membership thanks to genetic testing? Meeting a neurologist in a few days. So far no signs, but want to get a baseline now in case life goes off the rails. Thanks and hugs to all my 4/4 companions.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Re: How many of us 4/4 are out there?

Post by Lucy5 »

Hello Lulitamae and welcome to our E4 family!

Your question is an excellent one and probably one of the first we 4/4's ask (and yes..I am a member of the club!). My understanding is that most estimates of ApoE4/4 frequency among those with European ancestry is in the neighborhood of 2.2-2.6%. Estimates vary a bit for other regions (somewhat lower in Asia, for example). And yes, as you suggested, the E4 "membership" awareness has increased dramatically with genetic testing. No doubt about it!

I can see you have a great attitude and are moving forward decisively to learn more about our gene and what it means for you specifically. As you've just joined the group and may not have had a chance to browse our site Primer as yet, we highly recommend it as a great place to start. It was written by a member physician, Stavia (also a 4/4), and is a wonderful resource to learn more about this gene along with effective, prioritized lifestyle strategies to maintain health. Our Wiki offers additional discussions on topics of interest to our members and our Wiki How-To-Guide may help you navigate the site more easily.

Lulitamae, please feel free to share with our community how you're doing along the way and don't hesitate to ask questions as they come up. We've all been where you are now and understand so well the journey ahead. We're here for you!
hugs from your E4/4 companion, Lucy
srbogert
Contributor
Contributor

Post by srbogert »

Welcome Lulitamae!
I'm glad that you found this community. We're all questioning, learning and sharing together.
Lucy (above) has already shared some great insights, and links to key resources on the site. The Primer is a particularly good place to start learning about E4. I'd just like to reinforce Lucy's invitation to participate in the community, and let us know how you're doing as you walk this path of discovery. ...Steve
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brian4
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Brian4 »

Welcome Lulitamae,

Globally, the 4/4 club is about as exclusive as Mensa (98 %-tile – which is of course not all that exclusive): there are around 150 million 4/4s on the planet.

It would be amazing to use those numbers to do the kind of science that requires huge subject pools!

Brian
ε4/ε4 (for now).
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Well, so much for wanting to be in an exclusive club. Is it too late to switch my membership to Mensa instead? ;)

(Thanks - that is an interesting way to think about it and put it into perspective).
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Fiver wrote:Well, so much for wanting to be in an exclusive club. Is it too late to switch my membership to Mensa instead? ;)
Are you sure you're not already both? 8-)
Slacker
E4/E4
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Ha! Pretty sure. :lol:
Kenny4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kenny4/4 »

Lulitamae wrote:Hi, brand new to all this. Wondering how many of us, blessed with the 4/4, are out there? Are we a large existing group that I am new to or is this a growing membership thanks to genetic testing? Meeting a neurologist in a few days. So far no signs, but want to get a baseline now in case life goes off the rails. Thanks and hugs to all my 4/4 companions.
We are small in relative percentage terms but great in effect with regards to Alzheimer's. We range from 6-10% in some groups Sami,Swedes,Finns, Nigerians, Pygmies, and San bushmen down to less than 1/4 % in most Mediteranian people groups as well as some Chinese groups.
We are small in number due to APOE3 being the perfered Allele for mankind. We can't be all bad as the APOE 4 gene would have been eliminated if it was all that bad. When I tell my friends that some scientists surmise antidotally that we do best- starving in extreme cold and heat with parasites and germs they look at me and say " Of course". I think it's best to embrace your ancestral Allele and work with it instead of against it. It appears modern abundance may have a greater effect on us.
Lulitamae
New User
New User

Post by Lulitamae »

Well hello 4/4’s! Seems like such an exclusive group needs a secret handshake! Thank you for the warm welcome, I look forward to learning more and sharing too.
Markus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Markus »

I'm also 4/4 and will share my story when I decide to take the time.