First Blood Results: Very High Homocysteine

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

First Blood Results: Very High Homocysteine

Post by Rainbow »

Hi folks,

I just received the results of my first blood tests. After a ~20 hour water fast, my homocysteine was 18.9 umol/L. I tested at about 11 am. Here are some of the other results (I tried ordering them a little):

Lipid Profile
Cholesterol: 6.5 mmol/L
Trigs: 0.60 mmol/L
HDL: 2.0 mmol/L
LDL: 3.9 mmol/L
Chol:HDL ratio: 3.3
Combined relative risk: 1.0
Non-HDL cholesterol: 4.50 mmol/L
Lp(a): 7 mg/dL
ApoA1: 1.64 g/L
ApoB: 1.14 g/L
ApoB/ApoA1 ratio: 0.69

Insulin Resistance
HbA1c: 4.7%
Estimated average glucose: 4.9 mmol/L
Fasting insulin: 1.9 mIU/L

Thyroid
Free T4: 9.5 pmol/L
TSH: 0.67 mIU/L

Sex Hormones
FSH: 4.9 IU/L
LH: 1.4 IU/L
Estrogen (E2): 131 pmol/L
Progesterone: 1.6 nmol/L
Total testosterone: 1.10 nmol/L
Sex hormone binding globulin: 91.0 nmol/L
Free androgen index: 1.21
DHEA: 11.92 umol/L

Other
Magnesium: 0.94 mmol/L
Ferritin: 71 ug/L
Vitamin B12: 332 pmol/L
Vitamin D3 (25 OH): 32 ng/ml
CRP ultrasensitive: 0.37 mg/L
Last edited by Rainbow on Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
4/4
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: First Blood Results: Very High Homocysteine

Post by Rainbow »

And, for reference:

Methylation SNPs
COMT V158M ++
COMT H62H ++
VDR Bsm +-
VDR Taq +-
MTHFR C677T +-
MTHFR A1298C +-
MTHFD1 1958A+-
MTR A2756G +-
MTRR A66G ++
SHMT1 C1420T +-
4/4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Yep, likely the result of all those methylation variants. Do you take methylated B vitamins? What and how much? Your B12 lab is low.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Being COMT++ (which I am), I recommend hydoxo-adeno B12 rather than methyl B12. Of course, if you can handle methyl, great (but I can't. Dr. Amy Yasko informed me that hydrox-adeno is best suited for someone with my variants). Our SNPs are very similar. Methyl Folate makes me very sad and restless, I can't do it. I get folate from foods and am currently supplementing with choline (sunflower lecithin) to help with methylation (thanks, Susan, for the tip!). Make sure you are getting enough B2 and magnesium, as well. My B2 and magnesium were very low last I checked (February). Both are needed for methylation.

I'm getting my homocysteine checked today. it was 10.8 in November 2017, then 9.9 in February 2018, so I am very interested to see if my current supplement routine has lowered it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Plumster on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

SusanJ wrote: Yep, likely the result of all those methylation variants. Do you take methylated B vitamins? What and how much? Your B12 lab is low.
No, at the moment I'm taking 1 g DHA per day (and that's it). My functional practitioner suggested I try Metagenics Methyl Care, which contains:
  • 1.6 mg riboflavin
  • 25 mg B6 as pyridoxine HCl
  • 800 mcg folate as calcium L-5 methyltetrahydrofolate
  • 1000 mcg B12 as methylcobalamin
  • 1.5 mg zinc (as zinc citrate)
  • 0.4 mg manganese (as manganese citrate)
  • 15 mcg molybdenum (as molybdenum glycinate)
  • 600 mg N-acetyl-L-cysteine
  • 500 mg betaine HCl
I see the B6 is not the P5P form recommended in the wiki. In any case, perhaps it's not wise to take a combined supplement.
4/4
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

The functional practitioner also suggested that I take D3 (she recommended 2000 IU per day). My magnesium isn't as high as I believe it ought to be, so perhaps I should consider supplementing there as well. In addition to this, there's a container of creatine at home waiting for me!

Do you think the best would be to start conservatively, one supplement at a time, as per the wiki? And are there any other methylation-related tests that you think I should ask for next time I go for my bloods and/or before I start on certain supplements?
4/4
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

Plumster wrote:Being COMT++ (which I am), I recommend hydoxo-adeno B12 rather than methyl B12. Of course, if you can handle methyl, great (but I can't. Dr. Amy Yasko informed me that hydrox-adeno is best suited for someone with my variants). Our SNPs are very similar. Methyl Folate makes me very sad and restless, I can't do it. I get folate from foods and am currently supplementing with choline (sunflower lecithin) to help with methylation (thanks, Susan, for the tip!). Make sure you are getting enough B2 and magnesium, as well. My B2 and magnesium were very low last I checked (February). Both are needed for methylation.

I'm getting my homocysteine checked today. it was 10.8 in November 2017, then 9.9 in February 2018, so I am very interested to see if my current supplement routine has lowered it.
Thanks Plumster. Honestly, I don't know what I'd do without the advice from people on these forums! I see the Metagenics Methyl Care contains the methyl version of B12. Another reason to go a different route.

I hope you've had good news regarding your homocysteine levels!
4/4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Rainbow wrote:Do you think the best would be to start conservatively, one supplement at a time, as per the wiki? And are there any other methylation-related tests that you think I should ask for next time I go for my bloods and/or before I start on certain supplements?
IMHO, I would do one at a time, starting with B12. It will help you if you experience any side effects. If you get a side effect, lower the amount and if that doesn't work, as Plumster suggested, try a different form. Then add folate. Same thing, look for side effects.

Once you get a couple of months in on B12 and folate, then test both, along with homocysteine to see if you're going in the right direction. Methylation problems are definitely tweak and test, and as you improve, you might find you can lower doses over time.

And great A1c - I've love to have a number like that!

Good luck!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Just saw this one on vitamin D and suggestions how to test and treat from Chris Kresser. Might want to talk to your doctor.

https://chriskresser.com/vitamin-d-more-is-not-better/
fxmedcoach
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fxmedcoach »

Did you have a specific question with relation to your labs? If so that might be helpful so we gear our comments more towards what you are looking for vs throwing random information out there.

As others have stated, 18.9 is a high level for Homocysteine. But this is something that can be addressed. Here is a great resource from Point of Institute that you may find helpful -- http://www.pointinstitute.org/wp-conten ... steine.pdf.

A great reference for SNPs is Dr. Ben Lynch. He has a great book -- Dirty Genes, and his website is also full of information as well. He also offers a Dirty Genes course that is full of great information. You can find more information about the course at www.drbenlynch.com (under products tab). The VDR SNPs could be hindering your Vitamin D absorption contributing to the low Vitamin D levels.
Deborrah Cisneros
RN, FMCHC, NBC-HC, CGP