Thyroid and Ferritin Questions

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Thyroid and Ferritin Questions

Post by Plumster »

Thank you, Slacker. Yes, I've read the thread. But it left me without a clear sense of where Fe blood levels should be. I think I'm drawing the conclusion that there simply isn't enough known about the optimal level.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Thyroid and Ferritin Questions

Post by Stavia »

Plumster wrote:Thank you, Slacker. Yes, I've read the thread. But it left me without a clear sense of where Fe blood levels should be. I think I'm drawing the conclusion that there simply isn't enough known about the optimal level.
Plumster my reading of the evidence is that a wide ferritin range is acceptable. In the absence of restless legs or tiredness I dont worry about my patients with ferritins around 20. In the presence of either, I recommend an arbitrary level around 40. On the top end of the scale, I start looking for fatty liver with a ferritin over 150-200ish. And I check for haemochromatosis if its 400, especially with a saturation of over 55%. Other than that, I do not believe there is value in over analysing ferritin results and I accept a wide range as not clinically significant.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Thyroid and Ferritin Questions

Post by Plumster »

This is really helpful, thank you, Stavia!
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR