Lifespan of apoe4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Newtothis3/4
Contributor
Contributor

Lifespan of apoe4

Post by Newtothis3/4 »

I saw a post similar to my question but I would like to reopen the topic. Is the general concensus that an e3/E4 or E4/E4 carrier is most likely going to have a shorter lifespan regardless of acquisition of AD? Are we just predetermined to live a shorter lifespan? Does an e3/E4 statistically live longer than an E4/E4 or is it the same? Before I found out my status, I presumed as a 42 year old who takes care of his health, that I was going to make it to at least 100. Now, I feel that I’ll be lucky to make it 80 something intact. Also, what is the feeling from this site with science and medicine in terms of therapy for us apoe4s will be in 20-30 years? I’m aware it’s all speculation but I’m curious. I am a newbie who is dealing with GAD before I even knew my results and this has been such a hard few months for me mentally.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Lifespan of apoe4

Post by Tincup »

Statistics don't really mean anything to an individual. There is a poster here with a 3/4 mother who is, if I recall correctly, 99 and still mentally intact. Again, if memory serves, she said her mom routinely did 4 or 5 day fasts. When mom hit 90, the daughter told her mom she was too old to fast. Then the daughter ended up here and realized that maybe the reason mom was doing so well was that she fasted. Mom would also not eat much if she knew she was going to a party, to compensate. In any case, she let mom return to fasting.

We have a member who is 79 or 80 and 4/4 who is intact and doing well.

My goal is to do the best I can and try to have health span approximate lifespan, whatever that turns out to be.
Tincup
E3,E4
Newtothis3/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Newtothis3/4 »

Is it considered fasting if you don’t eat at least 12 hours a day?
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Newtothis3/4 wrote:Is it considered fasting if you don’t eat at least 12 hours a day?
Technically you are "fasting" any time you aren't eating, but I'm guessing you are referring to Dr. Bredesen's recommendation for what is sometimes called a 3/12 fast. That refers to stopping eating 3 hours before you go to bed, to allow your body to digest food before your system shuts down for the night, and not eating until 12 hours after your last meal. For many people that might be finishing dinner sometime around 7:00 or 8:00 PM, not eating before going to bed at 10:00 or 11:00 PM, and not having breakfast until 7:00 or 8:00 AM. Some people with ApoE 3/4 or 4/4 try to stretch that 12 hour fast to 14 hours, so they might finish dinner at 7:00 PM and not have breakfast until 9:00AM or even later.

There are an incredible number of variations on the idea of "fasting". For an intro to Dr. Bredesen's reasons to recommend the 3/12 model, see this section of our wiki: Enhance autophagy, ketogenesis

Here's a recent forum "thread" about CNN's recent article on intermittent fasting:
CNN.com's top health headline today covers fasting ...
4/4 and still an optimist!
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hairyfairy »

I`m doing the intermittent fasting diet. I try to go without any calories for at least 12 hours a day. only time will tell if it protects me from alzheimers.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Others also do longer fasts. A year ago, I did a 13 day, and then a 17 day water only fast. Some will fast for a moon cycle, once a year. One hope is that as you fast, your body will get rid of cells, and cells get rid of cell parts, that are not functioning up to snuff. When you end your fast, it is then hoped that instead of using cell division, the body will use stem cells to create brand new replacements off of the original blue print.
Sonoma Mike
4/4