How to tackle high cholesterol?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Beeflower
Contributor
Contributor

How to tackle high cholesterol?

Post by Beeflower »

Hi! I am new here and have read through some of the introductory posts. I am 32 and tested heterozygous with 3/4 and have a grandmother who had Alzheimer's. Dad died of a massive sudden heart attack a few years ago and mom is pretty healthy but has HTN and high cholesterol on a statin. I really need help with how to tackle cholesterol. I have seen information floating around that statins do not necessarily help when you have this genetic type? I am working as hard as I can on diet and exercise changes, but it is tough. I am a resident doctor in a family medicine program and have frequent 28 hour shifts in my schedule in the hospital, and when I have to stay up 28 hours straight working, my dietary choices go out the window. I have read that this is bad to do and in 1.5 years am transitioning to only daytime work. Since I found out my genetics and cholesterol level recently I have done better with diet choices especially staying away from refined sugars. I am overweight (155lbs 5'5") and my cholesterol last month was 267 total and 160 LDL 76 HDL, A1C 5.3. Six years ago when I worked really hard to get down to 130 lbs, my cholesterol was still high and almost the same, 272 total, 165 LDL, 85 HDL.... even at my goal weight. My doctor does not really want to start a statin because I am too young but probably would if I asked again. Can anyone offer any advice or opinions?
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: How to tackle high cholesterol?

Post by slacker »

Hi Beeflower;

As you know, statins are pregnancy category X, which makes me nervous for any fertile female to take them without highly effective birth control. (assuming you are female which may not be true)
Residency hours are horrible, it's impossible to get good sleep, exercise, or eat well. A bag of nuts or jerky might fit easily in one of your lab coat pockets.
You might find our wiki on lipids helpful; the wiki article was also mentioned by dcox after your first post. I like Dr Peter Attia's blog on lipids.
Slacker
E4/E4
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Beeflower, the lipid results you shared look great to me - TC:HDL in the 3ish:1 range is ideal. That said, if your triglycerides, which you did not share, were much above 150 (TG:HDL >2ish:1) I would still be concerned about your metabolic health.

The current guidelines regarding LDL and/or TC are out of date - more recent and higher quality research correlates CVD risk much more closely to the two ratios, particularly TG:HDL. Some very large studies from the past few years actually show an inverse relationship between TC and all cause mortality!

You might find this thread to be of interest.
Beeflower
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Beeflower »

Thank you that helps a ton! I do feel better about my lipids knowing that I should look at the ratio. Triglycerides were mid 150s, but I think if I were to lose some weight with the diet and exercise that I’m working on it would look a little better. Gained about 20 lbs I’m the last 6 years.