E4/E4 Alternate-Day Fasting n=1 Results: LDL, HDL, Triglycerides

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: E4/E4 Alternate-Day Fasting n=1 Results: LDL, HDL, Triglycerides

Post by mike »

Plumster wrote:Mike, for someone young and healthy like Walker44 and Rainbow, low carb high fat may not be the right thing, as it appears to raise LDL significantly.
Thanks for the article. A few points. I was not advocating an Adkins style high fat diet - to me, a low carb, high protein, moderate fat makes more sense. Also, three weeks seems a bit short to do a study like this. Lastly, it said "The individual response on LCHF varied profoundly." Why? ApoE4 maybe? But you certainly might be right. On the other hand, if I had switched diets when I was young and healthy, and removed carbs, I likely would not have developed diabetes...

Also, your first link on your post looks like it was formatted incorrectly and does not work.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Hi Mike,

Neal Barnard has been able to reverse diabetes by having his patients drastically reduce both fat and high glycemic foods from their diets. His book is called Program for Reversing Diabetes. Barnard's father had Alzheimer's and he has written a book on foods for e4 (Power Foods for the Brain). As far as I can tell, the major difference that he makes between the two diets, for diabetes and apoe 4, is the avoidance of high glycemic index foods for the former. In any case, my point is that there are other options out there that may work. I am happy you have found the right one for you.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Hi Plumster,

Yes, I agree there are many paths, and each of us must follow the one that makes the most sense personally. I'm still on a steep learning path here, and I was just wondering why when Bredesen and others say that early intervention is key, and the fact that RECODE says to do a keto diet, why would a younger person who had ApoE4 not do a keto diet? Is the LDL risk more than AD? Thanks.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I'm still on a steep learning path here, and I was just wondering why when Bredesen and others say that early intervention is key, and the fact that RECODE says to do a keto diet, why would a younger person who had ApoE4 not do a keto diet? Is the LDL risk more than AD? Thanks.
Family medical history plays a big part in folk's decision making. For instance, a young 3/4, with a strong history of heart disease, might hesitate to adopt a diet high in dietary fat when s/he could yield similar ketone levels (to address our reduction in cerebral glucose utilization) through mild carb restriction coupled with fasting & exercise. Much of our dietary approaches are quite individual based upon personal risk.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Julie G wrote:Much of our dietary approaches are quite individual based upon personal risk.
Maybe not needed for AD prevention,but this 4/4 with T2D for 20 years really wishes I had found my low carb, high protein, moderate fat keto diet back a long time ago!
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I'm echoing Julie here by adding my personal risks as a hyper absorber of plant sterols and the lucky owner of all kinds of genes for coronary artery disease risks and altered fat metabolism on high saturated fat diets. My father had a stroke, my mother had LOAD, but died from deep vein thrombosis. I want to take good care of my arteries. :)
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR