Updated NMR LipoProfile results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Updated NMR LipoProfile results

Post by SpunkyPup »

"Despite my "so called horrific" LDL-P of 3000, my very recent calcium score ( I'm 48) is less than 20. "

once it is over zero it usually means from what I have seen is that it can grow at 30% percent a year so I would consider it a warning of soft plaque soon to be calcified in the arteries. Just do your due diligence on the subject and you might be surprised to find it is counter to your assumptions. I never assume anything without doing some research first.
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

"Sandra's theory; that E4s, using RS, may reabsorb the resulting beta-hydroxybutyrate from the gut driving lipid numbers up"

has anybody reported this please as I would like to understand on what basis it is founded?

searching here did not pull it up
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Spunky, Just an N=1 thing, and hardly tightly controlled, but indeed I saw my highest ever LDL-P after doing a few months on RS. The butyrate idea makes sense, but to the best of my knowledge is just a theory.
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

N=3, Add Giftsplash and Jan Peter. Here's Giftsplash's experiment: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=440

I'd love to hear your thoughts on that, Spunky. Have you repeated an NMR since supplementing with PS?
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

Juliegee wrote:N=3, Add Giftsplash and Jan Peter. Here's Giftsplash's experiment: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=440

I'd love to hear your thoughts on that, Spunky. Have you repeated an NMR since supplementing with PS?
I stopped RS as was getting bouts of too loose stools and gas with involuntary evacuation if you know what I mean! so I doing a stool analysis to see if I have some gut dysbiosis or suspected gluten intolerance although I avoid wheat but gluten can still creep into the diet when you are away from home like when I was in florida for the winter when it happened.
I could find nothing on the web but we E4's are rarely reported or usually seen as outliers.

RS seems to load the bowels at least me with a lot of fluid and was having 2 bathroom appointments a day but I think it increased my energy levels quite a bit and my sustainable dose was 3tbsp/day but I then tried different sources of RS but stopped everything and just continue to consume a high vegetable diet with one vegetarian source meal a day to reduce my fat load so I can slightly increase fat at other meals.

Is it true that all the n-3's already had none optimal ldl=P# >700 greater than 700 with high particle counts??
If they did and were trying a high fat diet then their results would be muddled with some or most of the increase due to fat intake so this would be important to know.

Some who already have a form of auto-immune disease atho having some symptoms and no positive diagnosis might also skew the results altho I think some RS like larix might actually be good for them possibly in a limited quantity trial as these can mdulate or help tone down the immune system and but it back to balance.

I'm consuming slightly higher fats and will do another nmr in the fall but suspect by then to still be off RS as i research it more as I also researching other topics.

I don't buy the going theory here as if one consumes a higher fiber diet it will be bound to contain a higher amount of natural RS and the production of butyrate should increase and the gut will likely also be more acidic which should appear in my genova stool test. I also think the high fat diet that it is related to DrP theory of a higher fat diet for E4's in relation to butyrate but I think here the n-1 are proving DrP to be a quack or lacking sufficient understanding of the issue and his book is full of swiss cheese holes from what i read from critics of his book and from what I know. I heard him speak and he blabbers on about simple things and never gets to the meat of the issue and likely has misguided a lot of people like the ones here r even worsened their condition although some might have over done it a bit thinking fat is a savior for E4's.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Apologies to James. We're turning your thread into an epic meanderfest ;)

Thanks for weighing in, Spunky. I'm glad you're backing off the high doses of potato starch. In your words, what native population ever ate that way? I agree that a high fiber diet will likely provide plenty of natural RS to get the job done. I'm getting around 25 grams a day on Dr. Perlmutter's diet, but also supplementing with probiotics, sauerkraut, kimchi, unsweetened, live-cultured, grass-fed kefir. Hope that's enough to cultivate a healthy gut.

I was coincidentally chatting with Dr. P today and he is also fascinated by the topic of gut health as it relates to neurological health. He specifically recommended that we use jicama & Jerusalem heart (high in inulin) in our salads as prebiotics and a specialized probiotic, high in nitrogen. I'm ordering it today. Let me know if you'd like a link. He's also publishing a new journal, to be released in the Fall, entitled "Brain and Gut." http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 022014.php

I was surprised to learn Dr. P is a frequent visitor to our site. He quoted Sir Francis Bacon on our homepage during our conversation: "Knowledge is Power." Waves and props to him; I'm eternally grateful for all I've learned :D Spunky, help me understand how I've worsened my condition by his misguided advice...
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Julie,

Being a tuberous root, what do you think the chances are that the prebiotic mature of jicama stems from resistant starch?

As you know, I feel that the consumption of high volumes of some tuberous roots by some successful E4 populations may be a clue that natural RS as prebiotic is actually good for us? Maybe the issue is similar to other carbs where a large refined amount like potato starch leads to a surge that causes other problems? I've dropped it from my regimen for now, but don't consider this issue closed.
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Interesting idea, Russ. Dr. P seemed to be primarily interested in the inulin content, but you may be onto something:

Inulin, plus resistant starch could be a super prebiotic
http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Res ... -prebiotic
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

sorry Juligee the natives actually did eat a lot of RS and devoted practices to use large quantities of it and it has been documented on FreetheAnimal blog so such for flippant misuse of my quotes and it is in bad taste.. time to censor you. unless you apologize politely and remove such comments.
" In your words, what native population ever ate that way? I"

"I'm getting around 25 grams a day on Dr. Perlmutter's diet, but also supplementing with probiotics, sauerkraut, kimchi, unsweetened, live-cultured, grass-fed kefir. Hope that's enough to cultivate a healthy gut. "

of what ?? is that fiber or RS or whatever you are referring to?

more confusion of what RS is!!
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11591235

DrP is causing your confusion I get it now.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Spunky, I agree that many traditional populations ate lots of RS in their diet...just not in the form of potato starch. That feels really unnatural to me; didn't mean to offend you.
...of what ?? is that fiber or RS or whatever you are referring to?
I was referring to fiber. Per my chron-o-meter, I average about 25 grams a day. How about you?