MRT food sensitivity test

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
bikerman
Contributor
Contributor

MRT food sensitivity test

Post by bikerman »

I am 56 and 4/4. I recently took the MRT food sensitivity test as part of my battery of tests recommended by my Bredesen referred doctor. The MRT test comes up with a bunch of foods that my immune system has a reaction to, and therefore should be eliminated from my diet. The doctor thinks that it is these foods which are also causing “leaky gut”, and potentially cause systemic low grade inflammation. In my case, unfortunately this new “black list” of foods includes coffee, salmon, chicken and cashews - some of my favorite and most frequently eaten foods. I find it especially difficult to eliminate all of the black listed foods since I am already on the keto/paleo/Bredesen prescribed regimen, plus have high LDL so no saturated fats!

Has anyone else out there taken and used the MRT test as part of you program? What has been your experience? Does anyone know what Bredesen’s opinion is about the MRT test? Any opinions out there?

Thanks,

Bikerman
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: MRT food sensitivity test

Post by TheBrain »

bikerman wrote:Has anyone else out there taken and used the MRT test as part of you program? What has been your experience? Does anyone know what Bredesen’s opinion is about the MRT test? Any opinions out there?
Hi bikerman,

I did the MRT test several years ago and even worked with a LEAP dietician to support me as I followed the recommended program. The end result is that my digestion did not improve. I continue to have many food sensitivities, constipation, early satiety, and some other symptoms that come and go. The dietician said I was a complex case. Maybe the MRT test is the answer for people who don’t have such complex issues. I had already identified many of my food sensitivities prior to the MRT test and was already avoiding them.

I am now reading Dr. Michale Ruscio’s Healthy Gut, Healthy You book. I’ll report back on the forum if his approach helps me. So far, I like what I’m reading. The science is important to him, and he’s excellent at making it understandable for laypeople like me. He uses citations, which I like.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: MRT food sensitivity test

Post by slacker »

bikerman wrote:I am 56 and 4/4. I recently took the MRT food sensitivity test as part of my battery of tests recommended by my Bredesen referred doctor. The MRT test comes up with a bunch of foods that my immune system has a reaction to, and therefore should be eliminated from my diet. The doctor thinks that it is these foods which are also causing “leaky gut”, and potentially cause systemic low grade inflammation. In my case, unfortunately this new “black list” of foods includes coffee, salmon, chicken and cashews - some of my favorite and most frequently eaten foods. I find it especially difficult to eliminate all of the black listed foods since I am already on the keto/paleo/Bredesen prescribed regimen, plus have high LDL so no saturated fats!
Sounds frustrating. Why did your doctor focus on causes of leaky gut to begin with? (sorry if you've already posted about this)

I browsed through the MRT website. It looks like they recommend increasing the foods that the test indicates do not cause a reaction, while reducing the ones that do. There may be other types of fish that don't register as high of a sensitivity reaction for you, but still help you with healthy fat intake (for example). Since you've already made the investment in the test, it makes sense to me to go through the rest of the process to see if it helps, depending of course of cost. In the spirit of scientific inquiry!

I don't see any references in the appendix of Dr Bredesen's book concerning MRT or food sensitivities. I do know of an excellent gastroenterologist, Dr Gerard Mullin at Johns Hopkins, who is also well versed in Integrative and functional medicine approaches to gut health. He's got at least two books out, and you can probably get them at your local library. (just ignore the "weight loss" parts; I think medical authors have to throw that in to please their publishers). I've heard him speak several times, and am impressed with his knowledge base and humility.
Slacker
E4/E4