Grandmother. Mother. Not me (if I have any say in it).

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Kell&Ric
New User
New User

Grandmother. Mother. Not me (if I have any say in it).

Post by Kell&Ric »

I live in New Mexico and am on the eve of my 50th birthday. I spent the last year with my mother, who is 67, getting her settled into assisted living. She has AD. My grandmother passed from AD at the age of 61. After living with my mother’s suffering, I committed to my husband and son — a different path, if I can help it. I got myself tested and I am 3/4, and I want a different outcome. So here I am.

I have had chronic migraines for 25 years and have dealt with the cognitive issues related to that illness for so long. I have worked to control my migraine neurological shit-show with western meds, acupuncture, diet and exercise with more or less success over the years. Now, I’m onto a new evolution in my brain health.

I would love to find a practitioner in New Mexico because piecing it all together on my own is challenging. But, alas, the journey continues regardless.

Thank you for having the space and this encyclopedia at my fingertips.
3/4. Both my mother and my grandmother had AD before age 65. I’m the rebel!
dcox
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Grandmother. Mother. Not me (if I have any say in it).

Post by dcox »

Welcome Kell&Ric!
Thank you so much for sharing your family history and why you are here, we welcome you with open arms and many "pieces" that may fit together for you. I love your courage, your determination and love of your family to take a new path and find hope. You will find that this community shares your courage and determination to reverse and prevent cognitive decline and AD.

These are some links on the site to make navigating all of the information a little easier: Wiki Page, where you will find some more in depth topics and a list of practitioners; the Primer, written by Stavia one of our most active members a Doctor, and E4/E4 herself, this is an amazing place to start as she truly put her heart into writing it; and this page will help you learn how to use the site more efficiently "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website.

I highly recommend the book The End of Alzheimer's by Dr. Dale Bredesen. His protocol is followed by many on this site, and there are many posts pertaining to it, here is a link in the Wiki discussing the protocol Bredesen Protocol. Dr. Gundry's protocol is another option followed on the site here is the Wiki link: Dr Gundry's Protocol.

Thank you for sharing about your experience with combating migraines, quite possibly you are already on the path to preventing AD, as you have been putting pieces in place that work for you there they may be working for both migraines and AD. That's the great thing about lifestyle, including diet and exercise, changes they typically affect our overall health and wellbeing!

In the Wiki you will find a page dedicated to ApoE4 practitioners, ApoE4-Aware Healthcare Practitioners. I don't see any from New Mexico, but the list is updated regularly. I will keep my eyes open for New Mexico practitioners and relay the information to you.

Please feel free to reach out to me our anyone else if you have more questions, we are all here to support and encourage each other on this journey. I'm so glad you are taking the "bull by the horns" in your new evolution in brain health! Keep that positive "rebel" attitude!!

We look forward to hearing more about your journey as you share and learn along with us.
Find your joy and hope in each new day and each new discovery along your path,
Deb
Deb
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Enrolled in Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches
Choose Hope
broiler_x
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by broiler_x »

I'm glad that you got your migraines under control! If they ever come back and you can't manage them, there are some really great new drugs that have come on the market for migraine prevention. Look up CGRP antibodies. I'm in biotech and I was the head of our migraine program that produced one of those drugs. About 30% of frequent migraine sufferers (10+ migraines per month) go completely migraine free. And all the safety data looks great. Hopefully you can continue to take care of it as you have been doing, but I just wanted to let you know.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

Welcome!
Just yesterday I was looking up migraines and dementia and came across an article that showed decreased dementia in migraine sufferers who were treated with traditional Chinese Medicine.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5668081/

I didn't read it all, but got the idea, and saw that acupuncture was a component, so I thought this would interest you if you hadn't seen it.

I am also in the camp of Grandmother, mother with AD and hoping to be the rebel!

Migraines run in our family too. My mother had them worse than me. Now hers are controlled by Propranolol. Mine disappeared after going through menopause, eliminating red wine and gluten, and a few other triggers (msg, aspartame to name a few).
dcox
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dcox »

Kell&Ric wrote:I would love to find a practitioner in New Mexico because piecing it all together on my own is challenging. But, alas, the journey continues regardless.
Hi Kell&Ric

Here is a new addition to our Wiki page that you may find very helpful in your search for a practitioner: Searching for a Healthcare Practitioner. Some practitioners may do virtual appointments via video conferencing after an initial in person visit, which may be an option for you. My hope is that you find a practitioner that can help you fit all the pieces together on your journey.

As always find joy and hope in each new day!
Deb
Deb
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Enrolled in Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches
Choose Hope