HRT patch

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Bhinebaugh
Contributor
Contributor

HRT patch

Post by Bhinebaugh »

Recently about 6 months ago I went back on hrt. I was off of it for a couple of years. I’m 62 and was still getting night sweats etc plus since I’m a APOE4 I thought I should probably go back on it. I heard the patch was better so decided to give it a try. Everything was great and I feel so much better except recently I started getting a really bad rash wherever I placed the patch. So I read up on it and the suggestion to try a different patch since I’m probably sensitive to the adhesive. However while I was reading I came across something that said you shouldn’t have the patch on when in a sauna or hot bath. Planning on buying a sauna in next year or so - now wondering if I should just go back to the pill form. I guess the issue is the release of the estrogen in those conditions. Anybody else have this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: HRT patch

Post by slacker »

Oral estradiol is not ideal since it increases risk for blood clots and strokes. The topic estradiol does not appear to have this risk. You may want to review Stavia's primer chapter on hormone replacement.

As far as not using the patch while using saunas, do you remember the source of information or reason for concern? The real question is; is it dangerous?

Here's a small trial about topical estradiol pharmacokinetics (movement of drug through the body) under various conditions. Sauna and sweating didn't seem to make a difference. The study does not support the idea of more estradiol being released during sauna or exercise.

If the patch doesn't stay on under hotter conditions, it can always be covered with surgical tape. Remove the tape and patch together at time of replacement.
Slacker
E4/E4