We are new: E3/E3 and E4/E4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
WifeOfJoel
Contributor
Contributor

We are new: E3/E3 and E4/E4

Post by WifeOfJoel »

Hi, all,

I came here after reading Dr. Bredesen's The End of Alzheimer's. Last Christmas, my fiancé Joel bought us 23andme kits, and we found out that he is E4/E4, while I am E3/E3. Many of my family members did the test as well; I only know my mother's ApoE status, which is E3/E4. Her father (my grandfather) passed away a year ago from Alzheimer's disease.

My mom promised to read the book, and I will help her to incorporate as much of the plan as possible (I doubt she will pay for any medical tests not covered by insurance). Although Joel and I are relatively young (38 years old), I want to make sure we are doing our best to prevent illnesses. He eats fairly close to the prescribed diet already (lots of vegetables, low mercury fish, and no dairy). I've been vegan for 20 years, but recently started incorporating pastured eggs. We have both been eating grains and some sugar, and have high stress careers (he is in the entertainment industry; I am an MD).

I don't have any specific questions yet, but I'm looking forward to perusing the discussions here, and learning with this community!

physician scientist
Me: APOε3/3, MTHFR (C677T) homozygote
Partner: APOε4/4
Mother: APOε3/4
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: We are new: E3/E3 and E4/E4

Post by CarrieS »

Welcome to the Community to You and Joel!
Congratulations on your impending marriage and the decision to do your best to prevent illness. It sounds like the both of you are on a great path to finding your best health to support aging well together. The Primer and New Here? Some Best Practices are great resources to pull from for diet and lifestyle tips. These forums are full of information that you can search for but please don't hesitate to post questions, observations and victories as they come up.

This post is full of "Tricks and tips" that can help you navigate this website to get the most out of it.

I'm sorry that you lost your grandfather to this disease. You are such a loving daughter to help your mother stay healthy and vital as she ages. Small steps can add up to big rewards.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Gillyp
Contributor
Contributor

Re: We are new: E3/E3 and E4/E4

Post by Gillyp »

I'd also like to add my welcome to our community WifeOfjoel. Thanks for taking the time to share your story. I'm so pleased that you found our community after reading Dr. Bredesen's book. It sounds like both you and Joel are very proactive with your health and are committed to helping family members as well. It's wonderful when you can share information that helps others - particularly when it's family. I see that CarrieS has given you some great tips about the website. There is so much useful information on the site and you'll find our community is very supportive so please share any questions, experiences or studies you find. I'd also like to add my congratulations on your upcoming wedding - what an exciting time for you. Again, a warm welcome.
ND, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
FMCA/Reversing Cognitive Decline - Pending Fall 2018