New 4/4 Introduction

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Flyin66
Contributor
Contributor

New 4/4 Introduction

Post by Flyin66 »

Hi - I have been following on the site for several months and it has been a wonderful source of information. Stavia's primer, and many threads from Julie, NF52, Marc, and many others have been very informative and also extremely encouraging.

My 23andMe results showed SNP's rs429358 (C/C) and rs7412 (C/C) so I believe I am homozygous for APOE4, and also heterozygous for C677T at rs1801133 (A/G). I, like everyone else receiving bad news had an initial period of being very overwhelmed with this information, and that lasted for several weeks. However, with several months to reflect on it I have started looking at the positives. I am in my early 50's, and have had several co-workers that have passed in their 40's and 50's; so I am changing my perspective and I'm thankful for every day. I have been blessed with a wonderful family - this recent news has caused me to focus more on quality time with them, trying to help others, and enjoying today. For those that may have just found out about their status, I believe the anxiety will subside in time, especially if you pursue positive ways you might delay or prevent AZ. The best advice (i think it was Stavia) was to pace ourselves - this topic is so complex, and it does take time to learn more about all the different aspects of it.

I have implemented a lot of Stavia's, and other's recommendations. I have converted to a low carb diet based on a lot of greens, EVOO, avocado oil, selected nuts, very limited red meat, salmon twice a week, moderate chicken. I have cut out most bread and sugar. I try to have blueberries several times a week, and a piece of 72% dark chocolate with coffee in the morning. I read Bredesen's book, and Gundrys, along with two other doctor's, and I am trying to eat foods where their perspectives intersect.

After I found out my status, and found the APOE4 site and the Primer, I immediately started exercising several times a week. I go to the local park and walk / run and do intermittent push ups - I had to work up to what I would call a good workout over four months; in the beginning I could barely to do one push up! When I started I was about 220 lbs and 6' tall. This week I was at 191 - just sharing this in the way of encouragement that if you were like me and had not exercised, it may take a while to get into the groove.

I have read about Bredesen's RECODE program and I know Gundry has a program as well, but I think for me anything I can do for lower cost, and by myself, that may delay onset or prevent it is my main focus right now, so diet and exercise have been my main focus. I know Methylation and Homocysteien are DEEP topics - I am just starting to get into that and supplementation.

I recently also did the Dash Genomics; my PHS was 99 and AZ50 was at 80 years old. I am assuming I either did not have some of that bad gene's or had some protective ones maybe that prevented the 50% estimate from being earlier? All things being equal, if I can make it to 80 without AZ I will count myself BLESSED. I am hoping just diet and exercise alone may help accomplish that and improve my odds.

I know that's a long introduction but I feel like to I have been overdue for a while - thanks to all the creators/contributors to the site, and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: New 4/4 Introduction

Post by NF52 »

CocoNYC28 wrote:I have found myself painfully awakening from the delusion of my immortality. And it does hurt.
Flyin66 wrote:Hi - I have been following on the site for several months and it has been a wonderful source of information....However, with several months to reflect on it I have started looking at the positives. I am in my early 50's, and have had several co-workers that have passed in their 40's and 50's; so I am changing my perspective and I'm thankful for every day. I have been blessed with a wonderful family - this recent news has caused me to focus more on quality time with them, trying to help others, and enjoying today. For those that may have just found out about their status, I believe the anxiety will subside in time, especially if you pursue positive ways you might delay or prevent AZ. The best advice (i think it was Stavia) was to pace ourselves...I know that's a long introduction but I feel like to I have been overdue for a while - thanks to all the creators/contributors to the site, and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
Welcome Flyin66!
Speaking as someone who has a well-earned reputation for being long-winded on this forum: Never apologize for taking the time to tell us your story, your experiences, your questions and most of all your wonderful perspective. I suspect your co-workers are grateful to have you as a colleague during good time and hard times, including the loss of friends and colleagues.

Since I have copied you in on a reply to Coco and pointed out the Wiki and Primer, here is a source for a fellow optimist, and those who could use some optimism. This is the Abstract of Positive age beliefs protect against dementia even among elders with high-risk gene
One of the strongest risk factors for dementia is the ε4 variant of the APOE gene. Yet, many who carry it never develop dementia. The current study examined for the first time whether positive age beliefs that are acquired from the culture may reduce the risk of developing dementia among older individuals, including those who are APOE ε4 carriers. The cohort consisted of 4,765 Health and Retirement Study participants who were aged 60 or older and dementia-free at baseline. As predicted, in the total sample those with positive age beliefs at baseline were significantly less likely to develop dementia, after adjusting for relevant covariates. Among those with APOE ε4, those with positive age beliefs were 49.8% less likely to develop dementia than those with negative age beliefs. The results of this study suggest that positive age beliefs, which are modifiable and have been found to reduce stress, can act as a protective factor, even for older individuals at high risk of dementia.
23& me and the DASH polygenic risk factor may tell you what your genes say; they don't tell you what your mind makes of your experience. Happy Thanksgiving to you both!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Flyin66
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Flyin66 »

That is awesome NF52! Thank you for that so much - that’s very encouraging and surprising they can quantify the power of positivity!
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

Welcome to the Apoe4.info Flyin66,

Thank you for your great introduction! I am happy to hear that you have found the Primer and were successfully able to implement suggested changes!
I love what you have said here:
Flyin66 wrote:The best advice (i think it was Stavia) was to pace ourselves - this topic is so complex, and it does take time to learn more about all the different aspects of it
To me this is an essence of successful transformation. Setting golas and then slowly day by day implementing changes and taking careful notes on what works and what does. Simply being present, mindful of every little step is the key. It sound like you have mastered that part.
You are absolutely right that diet and and exercise are super important. I will add to this list: Sleep and Stress Management. If you would like to read more about those topics, I invite you to take a look at our Wiki page. Here are the links:
Sleep: https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Sleep
Stress: https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Stress

Implementing changes is a hard work and takes tremendous amount of time, dedication, patients- a lot of patients, but at the end you completely change your genetic destany- how exciting is that:)- and basically rebuild stronger more reliant, highly functioning, happy brain with a few aside effect like stronger, leaner body and lower number on the scale. I invite everybody to try it for them self, and I am supper grateful for positive stories like yours, because it proofs that all of this works!
We are supper excited to have you on board! Please do not hesitate to post if questions arise.

My best,
Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
Flyin66
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Flyin66 »

Thank you Magda! Those are two things I need to work on more for sure especially stress. Have a blessed holiday next week!
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Anna »

Flyin66 wrote:I, like everyone else receiving bad news had an initial period of being very overwhelmed with this information, and that lasted for several weeks. However, with several months to reflect on it I have started looking at the positives. I am in my early 50's, and have had several co-workers that have passed in their 40's and 50's; so I am changing my perspective and I'm thankful for every day. I have been blessed with a wonderful family - this recent news has caused me to focus more on quality time with them, trying to help others, and enjoying today.
Greetings Flyin66! I firmly believe that having the perspective that you describe -- and genuinely feeling gratitude for each and every day -- is the key to moving from grieving our unwanted ApoE status to embracing the beauty of life. I was 52 when I when I learned my status, and I felt like someone had hit the fast-forward button on my life. I was devastated. But slowly this knowledge became a gift; not only did it prompt me to get serious about prevention, it has forced a whole new perspective on life itself. Although I can't say that gratitude is always an effortless endeavor, I do try to make it a habit to pause and take note of the things for which I am thankful.

Keep up the good work!
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
Flyin66
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Flyin66 »

Thank you Anna!
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

Flyin66 wrote:Thank you Magda! Those are two things I need to work on more for sure especially stress. Have a blessed holiday next week!
Thank you! Happy Thanksgiving to you too!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
srbogert
Contributor
Contributor

Post by srbogert »

Hello Flyin66, and welcome to the group! Thanks for sharing your story, and for already welcoming another new member Coco. I love your positive approach - making adjustments to your life - being grateful - giving yourself time and space to take care of yourself. This is the way to be successful in this or any other endeavor. Your contributions will be a great addition to this site.
Welcome aboard and happy Thanksgiving!!
Flyin66 wrote:Hi - I have been following on the site for several months and it has been a wonderful source of information. Stavia's primer, and many threads from Julie, NF52, Marc, and many others have been very informative and also extremely encouraging.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Flyin66
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Flyin66 »

Srbogert - thank you so much for the welcome! I’m like everyone else I have momentary slips but for the most part I’m trying to double down on excercise and sleep. I hope you and yours have a great Holiday!