81 and still sane--I think!

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 81 and still sane--I think!

Post by thjj »

Thank you, I will when I have more to report but for now nothing much to say: no cognitive decline,
found out 4/4 status in the spring from 23andme and checked out from the library Bredesen's book &
found out about your wonderful health website apoe4.info. Wasn't a shock to find out I'm 4/4 as I
always suspected I might inherit it bc maternal grandfather died from it around 80, plus both my
parents have always been absent-minded with bad memories. Slowly implementing keto diet. Cut out most
of the sugar (I have a sweet tooth!) & dropped 10lbs. This has been a blessing in disguise!
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

thjj and Starfish, if you wish to reduce the high glycemic effect of the potatoes, while it's not quite the same as a hot potato from the oven, cold potato salad is significantly higher in resistant starch. This type of starch doesn't get digested and makes healthy gut bugs very happy.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Another low glycemic substitute for potatoes is cauliflower - can be mashed like potatoes, also very nice with a cheese sauce over crumbled cauliflower.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

circular wrote:thjj and Starfish, if you wish to reduce the high glycemic effect of the potatoes, while it's not quite the same as a hot potato from the oven, cold potato salad is significantly higher in resistant starch. This type of starch doesn't get digested and makes healthy gut bugs very happy.
Thanks circular: is it always better to eat starchy veggies cold (refrigerated) after cooking them (I don't like to eat raw)?
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

thjj wrote:
circular wrote:thjj and Starfish, if you wish to reduce the high glycemic effect of the potatoes, while it's not quite the same as a hot potato from the oven, cold potato salad is significantly higher in resistant starch. This type of starch doesn't get digested and makes healthy gut bugs very happy.
Thanks circular: is it always better to eat starchy veggies cold (refrigerated) after cooking them (I don't like to eat raw)?
It's true for potatoes, sweet potatoes, and rice, but I'm not sure what other foods get increased resistant starch with cooling. All grains? Lentils? Beans?
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Circular, does the glycemic effect of potatoes that are cooked and cooled (left in the refrigerator over night) retain the resistant starch if you reheat them or must they be eaten cold?
Starfish
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Starfish77 wrote:Circular, does the glycemic effect of potatoes that are cooked and cooled (left in the refrigerator over night) retain the resistant starch if you reheat them or must they be eaten cold?
Starfish
My understanding is you can reheat it.
Tincup
E3,E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Tincup wrote:
Starfish77 wrote:Circular, does the glycemic effect of potatoes that are cooked and cooled (left in the refrigerator over night) retain the resistant starch if you reheat them or must they be eaten cold?
Starfish
My understanding is you can reheat it.
That's my understanding too.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Thank you Tincup and Circular for the info about resistant starch. I am not keen on cooking and usually make big batches of whatever I cook creating a week's worth of steelcut oats with blueberries and vegetable stews (including my favorite, potatoes) so I don't have to do major cooking too often. It is nice to find out I'm getting some resistant starch out of it as well as saving time.
Starfish
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Starfish77 wrote:Thank you Tincup and Circular for the info about resistant starch. I am not keen on cooking and usually make big batches of whatever I cook creating a week's worth of steelcut oats with blueberries and vegetable stews (including my favorite, potatoes) so I don't have to do major cooking too often. It is nice to find out I'm getting some resistant starch out of it as well as saving time.
Starfish
Fantastic!