New here? Some Best Practices

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: New here? Some Best Practices

Post by Tincup »

Margelaine123 wrote: was wondering if the Bulletproof Coffee is a safe practice for APOE4's. Dave Asprey hinted at APOE4's not being a good fit for the Bulletproof Coffee which is Grass fed butter or Ghee and his MCT oil along with mold free coffee. I though consuming good fat and being in ketosis was great for our brains??? Anyone have any info on Bulletproof diet and coffee???
According to Dr. Gundry, he has observed that animal fat (including fish, poultry, dairy & land animals) increase sdLDL in ApoE4's. For some this includes coconut oil. MCT oil is a maybe. See this post on MCT's & Gundry.

That being said, Gundry does prescribe fish oil for 4's, so that the DHA component is 1 g/day.

If I had to choose between eating saturated fat and being insulin resistant, I'd eat saturated fat. That being said, my diet is keto and Gundry ApoE4 compliant. Can't tell if you are a Gundry patient or not. If you aren't and haven't seen the transcripts of our consults with Gundry, they are here.
Tincup
E3,E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I'm undecided on whether coconut oil is good for us and stopped thinking about it because it doesn't agree with me. I personally think regular bulletproof is too much saturated fat for us, but I occasionally like to make coffee blended with about a tsp of ghee and maybe a dash of cardamom. I've been toying with something similar but made with chicory for a decaf, gut loving take. Problem is I'm not super fond of chicory root. Though I need to just try it weaker, mixing it with ghee may be pushing it :D
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Short Circuit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Short Circuit »

Hello everyone- just wanted say Hi and that I'm so glad I was directed to this group while reading the book " The End of Alzheimer's by Dr. Bredesen. I found out several weeks ago that I'm ApoE 4/4, so at this point I'm doing my research and plan on making changes. But, I'm so glad I have this group as a resource!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Short Circuit wrote:Hello everyone- just wanted say Hi and that I'm so glad I was directed to this group while reading the book " The End of Alzheimer's by Dr. Bredesen. I found out several weeks ago that I'm ApoE 4/4, so at this point I'm doing my research and plan on making changes. But, I'm so glad I have this group as a resource!
Hi Short Circuit, Welcome! Have you found our primer?
Tincup
E3,E4
Short Circuit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Short Circuit »

Yes I did Tincup, and it was incredibly helpful! To be honest this was a shock, as I'm sure it was for other's, and just so much information to absorb. But I got this, and will make the necessary changes to live a long and healthy life!
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

Welcome short circuit!. We're all in this together sorting out best practices and finding what works for each of our individual selves. We call these N=1 experiments.
I'm wading my way through "Plant Paradox",(PP) Dr. Gundry's book and slowly making my way through Dr. Bredesen's too. I listened to his interview on CBN. Lots of information coming out for us APOE4's. I've been experimenting with some of recipes in PP book . Tonight I made Sorghum from PP, but added it to a concoction of kale, carrots, cauliflower,onions and mushrooms. I give it 3-4 stars. I've been interested in experimenting with a few more resistant starches. Last week I added some plantains to coconut flour/turmeric/blueberry pancakes.(5stars). I'm thinking we need a new forum for recipes for us.
APOe 3/4; If you want to go fast go alone. If you want to go far go together. African proverb. :D
Short Circuit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Short Circuit »

Hello Bettylacy-
Those recipes sound delicious, thank you for sharing! Definitely going to have to make some changes in my eating habits as meat took up about 80% of my meal. Baby steps, right!
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

Baby's steps Short circut. When you think about it from a scientific as well as a body, mind spirit paridyme, its what makes sense. I like the saying Wait and See! ;)
APOe 3/4; If you want to go fast go alone. If you want to go far go together. African proverb. :D
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Short.... as Betty says it's a marathon, not a race. I also like to think of it as a never ending journey, you'll make lots of changes over your lifetime because of what you now know. We are all still tweaking, optimizing, and changing our protocols years later as we learn more new stuff. Its changing constantly... eventually medicine will catch up we hope!!
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
brain
New User
New User

Lots of questions

Post by brain »

:?: Hi....first time to visit Apoe4Info. It was revealed about six months ago that I carry one copy of the ApoE4 gene. For many years I was on a Paleo diet, but my doctor, Dr. Ann Hathaway, changed my diet to a ketone diet. I'm doing well after six months, I feel terrific, but still trying to work out the kinks and attempting to figure out what is best to eat. My meat, poultry, fish consumption is about 8 oz per day, I eat varieties of colorful vegetables that fill the plate and are drenched in avocado or olive. Up until a few weeks ago I was consuming an abundance of Coconut Oil, but I have read in Dr. Bredesens' book THE END OF ALZHEIMERS that Apoe4 carriers should not consume it nor MCT oil. Is this true? I do make a bread from coconut flour and eggs....Is coconut flour also out? I eat a small bowl of berries every few weeks, should I eat fruit more often? Is Avocado Oil and Olive oil equal in nutrients? I prefer Avocado oil, it is milder in flavor. Does anyone know of a mild olive oil? Some of the posts above think eggs should be eaten in only small quantities? I eat eggs every day. From the posts above it appears that meat, poultry and fish, eggs are discouraged and only vegetables with oil is the preferred whole diet? What about seeds, I am eating Pumpkin and Sunflower Seeds everyday on my salads. Without the animal protein I think I would feel hungry. Any guidance will be appreciated. Thanks for any help