New here? Some Best Practices

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: New here? Some Best Practices

Post by Russ »

Ski, I know every time someone posts an attempt at a consensus, we get into splitting hairs, but 2 things that are fundamental to me that I want to be up front I still have different perspectives on...

1. In my view, the problem with grains extends well beyond blood glucose impact. Of the many additional drawbacks, I think one very important for E4's is gliadin causing the production of zonulin that creates leaky gut. E4's especially need to avoid provoking immune system problems via leaky gut. I hold out the possibility that fermented (organic) grains (e.g. sourdough) may be OK, but otherwise I would avoid grains in any form above and beyond the general logic for avoiding sugar (where I doubt small amounts will cause glucose problems).

2. I fully agree 'eat the rainbow' of a whole lot of plants, but I have tended toward the conclusion that the magic is in variability (of real whole foods) not macronutrient composition per-se. I disagree both that even red meat (if pasture raised) needs to be rare and small, but it should also be in balance with the rest of animal nutrients (e.g. glycine-rich bone broth when you methionine-rich muscle meat). I also grow increasingly concerned that all this EVOO and avocado (that I truly do enjoy and continue to consume) as part of the Med-like diet is good for me if I have it every day? I don't think you can go wrong with oily fish 3+ times a week, but I also think we shouldn't be eating the same way in July as we do in January, and we ought to be changing it all up as the days, weeks and months pass by.

Just wanted to put those possibly differing views in this thread.
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Russ I wonder about how valid the Cyrex labs may or may not be for testing an individual's blood-gut and blood-brain barrier integrities. If they're valid one could check their status before consuming some grains. I'd like to know if those tests are a waste of money or well established scientifically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Circa, My understanding is that Cyrex tests only if you have antibodies to grain proteins. Gliadin stimulates zonulin production in 100% of humans and will cause your gut to leak at some level no matter what - i.e. whether you have any resulting immune reactions to grain proteins per-se that then leaked through.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zonulin
I say keep the gut junctions tight and clean to keep anything out that might create immune reactions whether grain proteins or something else. E4's need to be doubly careful of over stimulating the immune system. As I think I've mentioned, I've now lost my life-long life-threatening nut allergy and although not provable, this 'clean, tight gut' seems like the most logical explanation to me at this stage.
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I think of wheat being the gliadin culprit. Is it in all grains? I know other grains have gluten like proteins, and casein is also like gluten.

I've been off gluten and dairy for seven years. I do eat some whole grains but not heavy in them. Maybe heavy in them by no grain standards :-) I've never found anything for me that comes near oatmeal for regularity (heaps of vegetables aren't sufficient fiber at all for me), which I think is vital. I also eat some sprouted corn tortillas. I know corn has some nasties. I forget the group of molecules. Some quinoa and lentils for non-animal protein. Occasional black rice (stunning on a plate with cod and curried vegetables!).

My rule has been non-gluten grains that don't make me bloated are okay on the edge of my diet in small servings. Foods that make me bloated are my enemy, which includes eggs I recently discovered but I don't know why. I tested fine for them at Enterolab - maybe they're tests are up to snuff or I developed an intolerance. Nothing scientific about using bloating as a flag though that I know of. Tribal people are often pictured with very bloated bellies and I've wondered why.

I've just started Biocidin to go after any unfriendly biofilms. Not sure if there's anything to Biocidin other than anecdotal approval.

People who went off gluten without testing antibodies should be allowed to take the Cyrex tests, and I thought lectins of any type could also impair the barriers. I can't see why they should limit it, or maybe that's just to get insurance to cover it, a noble cause.

I hear your perspective and have been familiar with the zonulin, barrier, immune issues. I'm back and forth on eliminating all grains and legumes and even night shades. For now I do small servings as part of a varied diet.

I've wondered if some 3/4s might be able to tolerate small amounts of non-gluten-like grains, if there really is such a thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grania
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: New b vv here? Some Best Practices

Post by grania »

Stavia wrote:
grania wrote:Thanks Ski! Your information was very helpful. I just received my results yesterday. UGH!
Hi grania. Welcome :)
Have a look in the Newcomers Forum where there is now a beginners walkthrough of some basic concepts and possible prevention strategies. Hope it helps.
viewtopic.php?t=1418

Thank you so very much Stavia. The beach where you live looks so peaceful - I am happy you have such a beautiful location you can enjoy. The information you provided means so much to me. Thank you for sharing it and also taking the time from your busy day as a physician to so thoughtfully explain each concept.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

You are very welcome grania. Please feel free to ask questions or comment etc. :)
HealthyDawn
New User
New User

Post by HealthyDawn »

Hi All,
I just received my 23andme results through Promethease.com 2 days ago and was shocked to learn that
I too am a APOE 4/4. I am so grateful to have found this site... Thank you!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Welcome honey.
Look on our newcomers forum for the basic building blocks of what we recommend. There's a heap of information, it'll take you a while to catch up.
In the meantime don't panic!!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

HealthyDawn wrote:Hi All,
I just received my 23andme results through Promethease.com 2 days ago and was shocked to learn that
I too am a APOE 4/4. I am so grateful to have found this site... Thank you!
Here is the link to what Stavia is suggesting https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418
Tincup
E3,E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Welcome aboard HealthyDawn! Keep us posted on your unique experiences and/or questions with regard to apoe4, as you wish :-)