New here? Some Best Practices

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: New here? Some Best Practices

Post by SusanJ »

Hi brain! Wow, happy to see you are working with Dr. Hathaway! We have great respect for her research into E4 and hormones.

The reality is that we pretty much all eat a bit differently here. Some eat red meat, some just some shellfish, others are vegan. IMHO, there is not one single diet that works for everyone.

So, before you make any major changes, it would help to take a look at your lab markers. You can check out this page to see what ones to start with. Are they within normal ranges? If so, your diet is probably okay.

If not, consider posting your results and we can comment better on what might help move your specific markers. And maybe let us know your age and any existing health issues, or family history that might be pertinent.

And a good place to start to understand what we know, check out our primer, written by a physician member of the forum.
meggardener
Contributor
Contributor

Post by meggardener »

What about stevia? whole grain flour? agave syrup? dark chocolate?

If I am not gluten-intolerant do I still have to quit grains and cereals?
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

meggardener wrote:What about stevia? whole grain flour? agave syrup? dark chocolate?

If I am not gluten-intolerant do I still have to quit grains and cereals?
Meg... depends on what you want to achieve. Many of us follow Dr. Gundry's matrix for the most part (you can search) and all grains are off limits, as well as agave. Stevia is ok, and dark chocolate >72% is also ok (1oz. per day, about 1 square depending on brand).

If you want to reduce carbs, then grains are the first thing to get rid of, for AZ they also are a source of inflammation. The Agave is a sugar so it does effect your glucose where as Stevia does not. I believe he approves of Yacon syrup...
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
meggardener
Contributor
Contributor

Post by meggardener »

Not the answer I was hoping for, but thank you for the info.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

meggardener wrote:Not the answer I was hoping for, but thank you for the info.
Yes I know, it's a shock to think you have to throw away a diet you've been groomed to follow your whole life, and basically told that it is healthy when in fact the western diet is not (especially us 4's). Believe me when I say it get's better, you'll find food you like to replace the grains and such. Over time you won't even miss the things you thought you would. Do a bit at a time and don't overwhelm yourself!
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
CDS
New User
New User

Post by CDS »

Hi
My name is Cindy. I just found out I'm 4/4 and I'm looking for a doctor in the Sarasota, Fort Myers, Naples area who works with Dr. Bredesen's protocol. I'm a little overwhelmed but finding that reading this site is helpful.
Thank you for all of your information and help!!!
BethJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BethJ »

Hi,
I am on the Bredeson Protocal as a preventative measure with 2 copies of the gene.
I am wondering when is the best time to test my ketone levels. I fast 3x weekly for 18hrs ea. and have been testing my blood (precision xtra ketone meter) first thing in the morning about 10 hrs after my last meal. My numbers have been low 0.2 / 0.3. I decided to test at 15 hrs and my numbers have been at 0.7 and 0.8 which is too high and I understand may be dangerous? The goal is 0.5 for AD.
The meter does not come with recommendations. When is the right time to test? I am supposed to be testing daily for now.
Thank you! Bethj
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

BethJ wrote:I am wondering when is the best time to test my ketone levels.
Generally, ketone concentrations are lower in the morning and higher in the evening.

And while a good workout will deplete glycogen stores thus aid ketosis, don’t do what I did once and measure your ketones right after exercise, I was very confused at the readings of glucose and ketones until I learned that post-exercise levels of glucose go up while ketone levels go down. If you work out, let things settle out first before testing.
BethJ wrote:my numbers have been at 0.7 and 0.8 which is too high and I understand may be dangerous?
A precision xtra ketone meter is a blood meter, so I would not say those readings are too high at all, they're good!! :) You're well within nutritional ketosis. Dr Bredesen recommends mild ketosis of 0.5 mmol/L to 4.0 mmol/L.

Have you read our wiki on ketosis? https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Ketosis_and_Ketogenic_Diet It might help understand some things.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
BethJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BethJ »

Thank you for your advice. I understood that you Aim for 0.5 and no higher (per Dr. Bredeson’s book). So that I am clear regarding when to test, I should not be testing first thing upon waking?
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

BethJ wrote:should not be testing first thing upon waking?
Do it when it is best for you and stick with the timing for consistency of results. If you test in the morning and it is low, recognize it probably is going to go up from there during the day and don't get too discouraged. But I would also stick with good, low carb ketogenic diet and pay attention to other indicators from your body to confirm you are achieving ketosis.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4