New here? Some Best Practices

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Blayne
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New here? Some Best Practices

Post by Blayne »

Interesting. The "New Atkins Plan" starts you off at 20g of carb/day and then moves you up to a level that you can tolerate and still maintain weight.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: New here? Some Best Practices

Post by Stavia »

Blayne wrote:Interesting. The "New Atkins Plan" starts you off at 20g of carb/day and then moves you up to a level that you can tolerate and still maintain weight.
Or one could start at 100gm or 120gm and slowly move down. Less drastic and possibly better tolerated.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Blayne wrote: I thought that we would be in ketosis by now (1 month in) but haven't registered any readings over 0.5.
Hi Blayne. Kudos to you and your family for diving in. What are you using to test ketones? Hopefully blood and not urine. Is your wife less hungry on the low carb diet?
Slacker
E4/E4
Blayne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Blayne »

I just ordered a Ketonic unit. They are a bit pricey but seem to be the best choice. I was using an inexpensive breathalyser but it didn't give me the level of detail I wanted. We haven't been on the low carb diet long enough to see if hunger is an issue but I've been told it probably won't be.
Jacqueline
New User
New User

Post by Jacqueline »

Hi there. Thanks so much for this beginning place. I just started working with RECODE doc, and learned I am apoe3/4. I was scared at first, but I have great hopes since Dr. Bredesen's book came out. And now, to find this forum, I am feeling great not to be alone with this. Do have lots of supports, and connecting with local folks also with apoe4. I will be absorbing people's experiences and advice like a sponge, though will want to explore my own way. Thanks again for summing up what in my brief experience is an excellent starting place, and validates what I'm doing. Some of this is not easy! Take good care.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Hi Jacqueline and welcome...so glad you found us!

It's great to hear you're working with a ReCode doctor. Having a knowledgeable professional to help guide you as you navigate your way is a definite plus! In addition to reading Dr. Bredesen's wonderful book, I'd also like to recommend our site Primer written by a member physician. It's an excellent resource for all of us here and I've found it especially helpful prioritizing and implementing lifestyle changes. Our Wiki is another source of information that you may want to read as you have time (it's accessed along the top of this page). Additionally, our Search function (the magnifying glass) is also located along the upper right of this page.

Jacqueline, this is a caring, supportive community with a great deal of hard-won knowledge. As you wander thru our site, please don't hesitate to ask questions as they come up. If at any time you'd like to share more about yourself and your health journey, please do. We all learn so much from each other!
Looking forward to hearing more from you and how you're doing, Jacqueline.
warmly, Lucy
Priya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Priya »

SusanJ wrote:
suki wrote:I was looking for a grocery list and menus for the ketoflex plan if anyone has one!
Don't know much about keto diet sites, but there are many "Paleo" food bloggers out there, who focus on low carb. They tend not to use grains or legumes, and usually are pretty good about no added sugars (not always, but you can usually axe the honey, coconut sugar, etc in recipes). You could start with their recipes and meal plans - just watch the saturated fat.

My personal favorite blog for recipe ideas (and she has meal plans for her cookbooks) is Against All Grain. Another is Elana's Pantry. Just don't go into the dessert section and you'll find plenty of ideas for meals. ;)
Did this recipe list get finished?
4x4 and Hashi - Currently anxious but searching for calm
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Priya wrote:Did this recipe list get finished?
There is a member recipe section but it's a fairly new area, so there aren't a lot of recipes out there yet.

If you want something more comprehensive, the food bloggers I mentioned above have lots of recipes on their sites and cookbooks, and the Against All Grains cookbooks include meal plans.
Priya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Priya »

Thanks
4x4 and Hashi - Currently anxious but searching for calm
kateg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kateg »

Russ- I read that you posted a very long time ago about how you were able to heal a food allergy- by healing your gut. Can you describe exactly how you accomplished this?
Kate