New here? Some Best Practices

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New here? Some Best Practices

Post by slacker »

CDS wrote:Hi
My name is Cindy. I just found out I'm 4/4 and I'm looking for a doctor in the Sarasota, Fort Myers, Naples area who works with Dr. Bredesen's protocol. I'm a little overwhelmed but finding that reading this site is helpful.
Thank you for all of your information and help!!!
Hi Cindy, and welcome!

Most of us find the discovery of ApoE4 status overwhelming, and the overwhelm tends to get better once we realize that there are steps to take that can be protective. If you haven't found our primer, written by one of our MD members, it is a great source of information (albeit long and detailed). Cognitive decline appears to be a multi-factoral problem, and one intervention is typically not enough to prevent or improve. Digest it a little at at time! It can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418

And feel free to ask questions as they arise. There is a search engine under the 3 vertical dots in the upper right hand corner that can also be useful. We are all in this together...
Slacker
E4/E4
ArtisticLicense
New User
New User

Post by ArtisticLicense »

Thanks for the tips - I'm new to this, but since I received my genetic report of APoe4/4, I've been doing research. So, on this information, I've been doing some of the right things, like diet and supplements (I've been under the care of a naturopath for 3 years). #1, exercise, is lacking for me. I should stop typing now and run around the block!
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Welcome ArtisticLicense!

Thanks for the reminder! Less typing, more outdoor exercise! I believe you are familiar with our primer and search engine. Feel free to introduce yourself under the "Our Stories" Forum when you are ready...only after a jog! :lol:
Slacker
E4/E4
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

Wow. Thanks, Ski. Very helpful. I have hit some already but now know some more first things to focus on.

And thank you, Slavia. I did not know there was a newcomer's forum. I really need one! LOL
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
Jeff10
New User
New User

Post by Jeff10 »

New here and just working my way through the website to try and learn and see all that is available. After watching my mother die from 8 yrs. fighting Alz as well as her brother, that alone has been the motivation for me to get proactive and get ahead of this disease. Was recently tested and found to have 1 copy of the gene and scoring 26 on a MoCA test, I am beginning an all out effort to control my destiny with this. I truly believe it is within my control but only with some serious lifestyle changes. Just finished Dr. Bredesen's book and it is the second Bible to which I will refer frequently. Looking forward to learning lots and sharing ideas.
joe duggan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by joe duggan »

Hi. I found out that I have one variant APOE4 this April via 23&me. It was no surprise, because my Mom, two aunts, and a grandmother suffered from AD. I found Ski's primer on 'Best Practices' to be very concise and consistent with Dr. Bredesen. I just finished reading Dr. Bredesen's book. I am 70 and retired, but I volunteer at a local museum. I recall being very anxious as I clicked on the report from 23&me last spring; but more than six months afterwards I am very glad that I did. That knowledge has given me the inspiration to do something about it. Hopefully I will keep it up, as I have not totally adopted Dr. Bredesen's ReCoDe and I (like my Mom, aunts, and grandmother) have a 'sweet-tooth'. I am one month into my 'modified' Ketoflex12/3 and am eager to see how my blood test results come out next month at my annual physical. I also read Dr. Stavia's intro and I think this may be an excellent 'support' team.
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

Jeff10 wrote:New here and just working my way through the website to try and learn and see all that is available. After watching my mother die from 8 yrs. fighting Alz as well as her brother, that alone has been the motivation for me to get proactive and get ahead of this disease. Was recently tested and found to have 1 copy of the gene and scoring 26 on a MoCA test, I am beginning an all out effort to control my destiny with this. I truly believe it is within my control but only with some serious lifestyle changes. Just finished Dr. Bredesen's book and it is the second Bible to which I will refer frequently. Looking forward to learning lots and sharing ideas.
Jeff10
Welcome to the forum!
I am sorry for your mother and your uncle. I applaud your proactivity. And Dr. Bredesen's book is a great tool.
It is empowering to read that you are taking charge of your own health, and implementing these profound changes. This is truly great!
If you have not yet, I invite you to read our PRIMER: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418
The primer has been written by Dr. Stavia, a member of our community, and it talks about science, prevention, lifestyle modifications.
I hope you will find it useful, and if any questions arise while reading it, please ask away.

There are many very experienced, and knowledgeable members in our community. Posts are endless wealth of great information so please browse around the site, and If you get stuck, or need support on anything please let us know.
Welcome again Jeff10
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

joe duggan wrote:Hi. I found out that I have one variant APOE4 this April via 23&me. It was no surprise, because my Mom, two aunts, and a grandmother suffered from AD. I found Ski's primer on 'Best Practices' to be very concise and consistent with Dr. Bredesen. I just finished reading Dr. Bredesen's book. I am 70 and retired, but I volunteer at a local museum. I recall being very anxious as I clicked on the report from 23&me last spring; but more than six months afterwards I am very glad that I did. That knowledge has given me the inspiration to do something about it. Hopefully I will keep it up, as I have not totally adopted Dr. Bredesen's ReCoDe and I (like my Mom, aunts, and grandmother) have a 'sweet-tooth'. I am one month into my 'modified' Ketoflex12/3 and am eager to see how my blood test results come out next month at my annual physical. I also read Dr. Stavia's intro and I think this may be an excellent 'support' team.
Hi Joe Duggan
I'm sorry for the suffering of your family. Welcome to this community. Love to read about your inspiration to do something about it! That is great! One step at a time and with tiny steps, we can go a long way. Looking back afterward can be surprising to see what was achieved. Keep on!
Dr Stavia intro ? Do you mean the primer? Here is the link again: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418
Welcome again Joe Duggan.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)
suki
Contributor
Contributor

Post by suki »

Hi I am new here. I have read Dr. Bredesen book and will start by losing weight via Ketoflex 12/3. Does anyone have a plan that I might follow? Thanks.
ajackson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ajackson »

Hi Suki,
Welcome to this forum. It is an amazing place to get your answers. You might want to check out our Primer: Primer . It's a great place to start. I would also put your information about you being new in the Welcome posts so others know that you are new to this forum. I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I am sure others do!