4/4 since July 2018

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Virginia
New User
New User

4/4 since July 2018

Post by Virginia »

Hi! My name is Ginny and I'm a 4/4. Never thought I'd be saying something like that! Have been having intermittent memory problems for a couple of years and mentioned it to my doctor. He ordered a "few tests". A couple days later he called me tell me that I had 2 copies of Apolipoprotein e4 and that I was "high risk for Alzheimer's". Sorry. Goodbye." After a lot of research, I was devastated until I heard a functional medicine physician give a talk on The ReCode protocol and that this diagnosis wasn't the end of my life as I had come to think. I bought Dr. Bredesen's book and began to have hope. I then found this website; read a lot of other posts and feel even more hope, and know that I am not alone. Thank You for starting this website!!!!
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 4/4 since July 2018

Post by Lucy5 »

Hi Ginny and welcome, I am so glad you found us!

I'm also part of that lucky 4/4 club and found out the same way you did; a shock for sure! But rest assured, there is a great deal of hope for a long, healthy life for E4s and you are not alone here! We are definitely a family of sorts and are committed to helping one another along the way. You couldn't have found a better place to start than with Dr. Bredesen's fabulous book. We are increasingly hopeful that his work will have a major impact on how the medical community views this disease along with the very real potential to change it's course. If you haven't had the opportunity as yet, we also highly recommend you dive into our site Primer written by Stavia, a practicing physician and also a 4/4. It's an excellent resource about this E4 gene of ours and provides guidance to help prioritize the key lifestyle protocols you will want to begin implementing during your health journey.

You may also want to check out our Wiki which offers additional in-depth discussion on topics of interest to our community. And be sure and browse thru our Wiki How-To-Guide when you have a moment. It provides lots of tips to help members navigate the site more easily and effectively.

Ginny, please don't hesitate to ask questions of the group as they come up! I love your positive, take charge attitude and am looking forward to updates on how you're doing.
warmly, your 4/4 sister, Lucy
srbogert
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 4/4 since July 2018

Post by srbogert »

Virginia wrote:Hi! My name is Ginny and I'm a 4/4. ... I bought Dr. Bredesen's book and began to have hope. I then found this website; read a lot of other posts and feel even more hope, and know that I am not alone.
Hi Ginny, Welcome to the site!! I'm glad that you shared this post about your experience. You will find that many people on this site share a similar experience - It is good to feel like part of a community (not alone). Please feel free to ask questions and share what you have learned. The site works best when we all contribute.

I see that you've been a member since October, but since this is your first post I just want to reinforce Lucy's recommendations above. If you haven't already done so, please check out the Primer by Stavia. It is a great place to start learning and get your feet on the ground. Also check out the HOW To Guide. It will help you navigate the site, search more efficiently, and provides some nice tips for posting. Let us know if you have any questions.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach