Inconsistent Keto-Mojo Results-Discouraged!

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Inconsistent Keto-Mojo Results-Discouraged!

Post by Julie G »

Thanks so much everyone for your responses and support! Both my husband and I have continued to re-check our ketone levels, and the results are consistently WAY different (i.e. .3 and then 1.6, less than a minute later.) I contacted KM and ended up purchasing a tiny bottle of "Control Solution" for $20.00. It is supposed to be used to test your meter so you know that it is giving accurate results. I just received the control solution and it has a test range of 1.8 - 3.0. That seems to be too wide a variance to test a meter for accuracy! I am now finding postings on KETO websites from others who have expressed similar concerns. I have relied so heavily on these meter results to help guide my diet and the amount of carbs/fats/protein that I eat. Being in nutritional ketosis is such an important part of this program and I'm not sure how to proceed. I haven't been very successful in just using my physical symptoms to tell if I'm in ketosis.
Hmm, I find this disturbing as well. On of the reasons I've recommended Keto-Mojo is because of it's supposed accuracy on lower BHB readings. Have you reacted out to them with your concerns? I've met with the creator, he'd want to know about this. I've previously polled our members on this topic and generally received assurance that folks thought the readings were accurate. FWIW, I use the Precision Xtra and feel pretty certain that I can trust the readings. I've never gotten the wild swings that you're talking about.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Linda, when I was having such low readings, the company thought I wasn't putting an ample drop of blood. During that period, I had frequent error readings. Now I make sure I have a dripping drop to place on the strip once the coded number pops up.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

KatieS wrote:Linda, when I was having such low readings, the company thought I wasn't putting an ample drop of blood. During that period, I had frequent error readings. Now I make sure I have a dripping drop to place on the strip once the coded number pops up.
Interesting! But what's the magic amount? IE, with blood labs the measurements are /mL or /mg and so on. With drops of blood, if the result varies per quantity who's to say that a drop this size shows the best average throughout the blood stream? I realize I'm probably overthinking this :lol:
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
genie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by genie »

With OMAD, the trick is to prepare your meals with liberal amounts of healthy fats (e.g. olive oil, avocado oil, avocados, nuts, etc., NOT saturated fats or MCT or coconut oil, if you're a 4/4). You can add fat calories very easily that way (following Dr. Gundry's "The Plant Paradox" style recipes). They keep you satiated for the rest of the day, even with a small stomach (it does shrink). Keep the sugars below 15 g/day, as recommended by Dr. Bredesen ("The End of Alzheimers", page 49). The total carbs can be moderate (below 50 g/day, as opposed to a strict ketogenic diet, which is less than 20 g/day).

Dr. Jason Fung ("The Diabetes Code" & "The Obesity Code") says your LIVER makes you breakfast ("dawn effect")...LOL. It's true. I have a cup of coffee and go play pretty vigorous tennis every morning, no problem.

I started the OMAD to reverse my Type 2 Diabetes without medications. It worked for me (even before taking any ReCODE supplements). My husband has been doing OMAD since 2009 and he does intense exercise (e.g. 2000 pushups), looks like an athlete. It's easier to exercise in the morning in the fasted state than after a meal. But he also learned three new languages in his 50's (he knows six now). So it's not just the muscles, but the brain benefits, too. In our experience, the OMAD is doing something right! We will be feasting and fasting for life!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

That's great it's working for you and your husband genie! I'm not sure what I think about maintaining structured diets for the long haul. I don't think my ancestors ate at the same time every day and according to a plan. But I would like to try periodic extended fasts. I've done two three day, three nights fasts in my life, so I know I can do at least that. I think I need to be in a position to focus more on my myself before I do that again, which I'm not now.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

circular wrote: Interesting! But what's the magic amount? IE, with blood labs the measurements are /mL or /mg and so on. With drops of blood, if the result varies per quantity who's to say that a drop this size shows the best average throughout the blood stream? I realize I'm probably overthinking this :lol:
Circ, the strips are calibrated to take a specific amount. The strips use capillary action to suck the blood to the "action" end of the strip. If you have too little for the blood to get there, the strip will give an error. The issue is likely where there is enough to get blood to the point, but really not enough. I've noticed that if the drop is marginal then it takes a long time for the blood to get sucked up, whereas if there is a nice sized drop it goes quickly. I think it is when it is marginal and gets sucked in slowly is when there can be a measurement problem.
Tincup
E3,E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

genie wrote:With OMAD, the trick is to prepare your meals with liberal amounts of healthy fats (e.g. olive oil, avocado oil, avocados, nuts, etc., NOT saturated fats or MCT or coconut oil, if you're a 4/4). You can add fat calories very easily that way (following Dr. Gundry's "The Plant Paradox" style recipes). They keep you satiated for the rest of the day, even with a small stomach (it does shrink). Keep the sugars below 15 g/day, as recommended by Dr. Bredesen ("The End of Alzheimers", page 49). The total carbs can be moderate (below 50 g/day, as opposed to a strict ketogenic diet, which is less than 20 g/day).

Dr. Jason Fung ("The Diabetes Code" & "The Obesity Code") says your LIVER makes you breakfast ("dawn effect")...LOL. It's true. I have a cup of coffee and go play pretty vigorous tennis every morning, no problem.

I started the OMAD to reverse my Type 2 Diabetes without medications. It worked for me (even before taking any ReCODE supplements). My husband has been doing OMAD since 2009 and he does intense exercise (e.g. 2000 pushups), looks like an athlete. It's easier to exercise in the morning in the fasted state than after a meal. But he also learned three new languages in his 50's (he knows six now). So it's not just the muscles, but the brain benefits, too. In our experience, the OMAD is doing something right! We will be feasting and fasting for life!
Pretty much how we roll. Our meals sound similar as we've posted our Gundry plan with a lot of mono fat. We actually eat more carbs/day (min 88, max 180, avg 124, fiber 50-60) per a two week http://www.Cronometer.com study I did in March 2017, with a gram scale. My wife eats in an 8 hour window and I eat in a 2 hour window and have done so since 2015. My experience is that being well keto adapted (which I've been since 2009) makes time restricted eating, OMAD, extended fasting all possible with relative ease and exercise is no issue. All exercise I do is at least 14 hours fasted (and I don't drink coffee). I'm 40 hours fasted as I write and plan to go rock climbing today for 6 hours at 40 deg F, wearing only shorts at 7,000'. Tomorrow at 64 hours fasted, plan to ski at 12-13,000' for 6 or 7 hours, mostly off piste on the steeps. I've gone to the gym and set PR's on lifts 5 days fasted with a serum glucose of 31 mg/dL (l.7 mmol/L).

My wife, TheresaB, who is well keto adapted, will say that fasting is harder for her than me. We are both doing a 7 day fast right now. She is using some bone broth, while it is a water fast for me.
Tincup
E3,E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Tincup wrote:
circular wrote: Interesting! But what's the magic amount? IE, with blood labs the measurements are /mL or /mg and so on. With drops of blood, if the result varies per quantity who's to say that a drop this size shows the best average throughout the blood stream? I realize I'm probably overthinking this :lol:
Circ, the strips are calibrated to take a specific amount. The strips use capillary action to suck the blood to the "action" end of the strip. If you have too little for the blood to get there, the strip will give an error. The issue is likely where there is enough to get blood to the point, but really not enough. I've noticed that if the drop is marginal then it takes a long time for the blood to get sucked up, whereas if there is a nice sized drop it goes quickly. I think it is when it is marginal and gets sucked in slowly is when there can be a measurement problem.
Thanks for your engineering help Tincup! That makes sense. I wonder if it was discussed in the company's 'how to use' material and I missed it, or if this critical 'how to' bit was left out. If the latter that's a serious omission that has wasted me money. No ill feelings meant towards the company that I think means to do well by customers, but ... While I love the meter itself, and if i stab myself harder maybe it will be more reliable, I now have to throw away a lot of results in my mind along with the money. I suspect most people are like and and aren't going to adjust the poke setting any stronger than necessary to avoid error readings unless they understand this. Ugh, another email to a company.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Here's a video at the K-M website on getting a good sample that I don't remember seeing, so I guess I skipped that. So we could do, say, three tests in a row with robust samples a number of times over to be satisfied with the accuracy claims? What about the control solution variance being so wide?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I wonder, does it tend to err on the underreporting side with an inadequate but 'successful' sample, or would readings be all over the map when there's not enough blood.