mTOR, metformin, and tendonitis?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Whatnow
Contributor
Contributor

mTOR, metformin, and tendonitis?

Post by Whatnow »

HI.
I've been on a ketogenic diet to improve blood sugar control and also for improved cognition and memory for about one year now. Lately, I have been bothered by achilles tendonitis. The last several episodes of tendonitis seemed to have been triggered by taking a statin. I've tried Atorvastatin, Rosuvastatin, and Pitavastatin. Each time I experienced significant achilles tendon pain about two weeks after starting the drug. This is not the first time that a drug has caused tendonitis. About 15 years ago I had tendonitis after a few weeks of Levaquin antibiotic. Anyway, after this last attempt, the tendontis is not going away so easily. I was wondering last night whether this could be a result of any supplements I'm taking. It then occurred to me that perhaps the biggest change I've made is the ketogenic diet. Doing a little investigating this morning I saw mention of mTOR inhibition by ketogenic diets and also an in vitro study out of China investigating mTOR effects on tendon cells. Furthermore, I see that metformin (and alcohol and reservatol and curcumin) also inhibits mTOR. I am wondering if I am inhibiting mTOR so much that it is interfering with healing of my achilles tendon.
Have any of ya'll experienced problems like this? Is it a big mistake to continue with metformin while on ketogenic diet? I have seen some comments about mTOR cycling in these forums, but sis not see any follow up on that.
Thanks.
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: mTOR, metformin, and tendonitis?

Post by BrianR »

Whatnow wrote: ...
Have any of ya'll experienced problems like this? Is it a big mistake to continue with metformin while on ketogenic diet? I have seen some comments about mTOR cycling in these forums, but sis not see any follow up on that.
Thanks.
Hi Whatnow. Rhonda Patrick just sent out a reference to this paper: Metformin inhibits mitochondrial adaptations to aerobic exercise training in older adults which might be relevant, although it didn't specifically address tendons.