Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Nikki2019
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nikki2019 »

Hi fellow EPO4s! Glad I found * my people*. I have been boring my non EPO4 hubby to death with my latest obsession after discovering my status. I am heterozygous EPO4 female age 47.

My father suddenly stopped paying bills etc. and we didn't know about it until after it was too late. He doesn't have a wife to keep an eye out. Anyhow, this came as a surprise and he was just around 65 or so when symptoms were showing. We found that he is 4/4 and my twin and I are 4s, heterozygous. I am assuming most likely that we are 3/4s, as the 3 is most common. We used " 23 and me", so we are unsure if it is a 2 or a 3. Our father was a chain smoker for many years and was socially isolated with no spouse and no regular exercise routine or healthy eating. It is a real shock to see his cognitive decline. He was an electrical engineer and now can not use a TV remote or dial out on a phone. He forgets everything from just 60 seconds ago, and lives in the moment. He is only 20 years older than us. To avoid this happening to us, we are trying to do what ever we can now before its too late. My twin's daughter also has 1 EPO4, but isn't aware of it. I haven't tested my son and don't plan on doing so any time soon. He is from my ex husband, and I don't know his EPO4 status. I don't want to put my son through what I have been experiencing with my father. Right now, I am really interested in the Nigerian paradox. My new idol is Stavia from this forum.
As E4 s, we are inherent fighters and don't give up so easily.
GLS18
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Member

Post by GLS18 »

Nikki2019 wrote:Hi fellow EPO4s! Glad I found * my people*. I have been boring my non EPO4 hubby to death with my latest obsession after discovering my status. I am heterozygous EPO4 female age 47.

My father suddenly stopped paying bills etc. and we didn't know about it until after it was too late. He doesn't have a wife to keep an eye out. Anyhow, this came as a surprise and he was just around 65 or so when symptoms were showing. We found that he is 4/4 and my twin and I are 4s, heterozygous. I am assuming most likely that we are 3/4s, as the 3 is most common. We used " 23 and me", so we are unsure if it is a 2 or a 3. Our father was a chain smoker for many years and was socially isolated with no spouse and no regular exercise routine or healthy eating. It is a real shock to see his cognitive decline. He was an electrical engineer and now can not use a TV remote or dial out on a phone. He forgets everything from just 60 seconds ago, and lives in the moment. He is only 20 years older than us. To avoid this happening to us, we are trying to do what ever we can now before its too late. My twin's daughter also has 1 EPO4, but isn't aware of it. I haven't tested my son and don't plan on doing so any time soon. He is from my ex husband, and I don't know his EPO4 status. I don't want to put my son through what I have been experiencing with my father. Right now, I am really interested in the Nigerian paradox. My new idol is Stavia from this forum.
Hi Nikki2019 and a warm welcome to our community!

Your infusion of humor is a wonderful way to lighten a difficult situation. Yes, I could not agree more that you have found “my people” within this caring, compassionate and insightful community.

I’m very sorry to hear about what your dad has been going through. It is rough to experience a loved one deal with cognitive decline and many fellow members can relate to your story. Your courageous and proactive approach to do all you can to prevent the onset of cognitive decline will also benefit your father. He is fortunate to have your support and that of your twin sibling. As you will continue to discover through the many empowering resources on this site, there are several areas that can be addressed to possibly slow down, reverse and/or prevent cognitive decline depending on the particular person and the stage of decline. As you rightly mention, lifestyle factors such as nutrition/diet, exercise/movement, and social engagement/supportive relationships as a few examples, have a tremendous impact on whether the ApoE gene will be expressed. Since Stavia is your new idol:), you have probably begun to explore the Primer, a comprehensive and beautifully compiled resource. To understand how many copies of the ApoE gene you carry, Promethease is a tool that you can use to convert the raw data identified through 23 and Me. The ApoE4.Info Wiki has a section on If You Want To Check Your E4 Status and Just Found Out You’re An E4 Carrier? You may find both sections helpful and you can also learn more about searching for this topic and others through the brilliant guide, How To Get The Most Out Of The ApoE4.Info Website. Another fantastic resource that can help navigate a plan for you and your father moving forward is Dr. Dale Bredesen’s Book, The End of Alzheimer’s.

There is still hope for your father and by acting early, you and your twin may never exhibit signs of cognitive decline. Please continue to share your progress, challenges, insights and questions. We are rooting for all of you and look forward to your contributions!

Again, a warm welcome.
Gina
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches Certification Candidate, Fall 2018
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi
thlas1971!
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Member

Post by thlas1971! »

Hi! I'm new too. I'm also 47 APOE3/4 my mom has AD. If curious in officially knowing the status of your other allele you can use promethease.com to upload your raw data from 23 and me. For $12 they will give you both allele's and tons of other genetic information.
Teresa APOE3/4