APOE3/4, mom has AD and so did her dad

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
thlas1971!
Contributor
Contributor

APOE3/4, mom has AD and so did her dad

Post by thlas1971! »

Hi! I'm 47, APOE3/4 with no cognitive issues currently (at least that I can recall). My mom is 83, has AD and is in an amazing memory care unit near my home. Her father passed away from AD at 67. My dad from brain cancer at 47. So, there are cognitive issues that I'm hoping to manage.

Ten months ago my husband and I started on the ketogenic nutritional plan and have been in steady ketosis since then. I intermittent fast 16+ hours daily and do some longer fasts too. Originally we made the lifestyle change to manage his arthritis - which is gone by the way, so is his snoring! As I learned more I became curious about the cognitive and metabolic benefits. When I learned my APOE status I decided this isn't just way of eating to support my spouse.

I just read the End of Alzheimer's book and am interested in the ReCODE prevention protocol. I inquired about local MDs and there is one in my town. Curious if others have done the prevention protocol if you felt the information you learned was worth it. Thanks for any information you can provide. Also, I'm really grateful for this forum.
Teresa APOE3/4
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: APOE3/4, mom has AD and so did her dad

Post by CarrieS »

Welcome Teresa!
I can tell that you have a great sense of humor by reading your first sentence! Changing your diet to support your husband was such an act of love on your part. What a bonus that you are benefiting from the changes as well. You've found a large and supportive community in all stages of the Bredesen Protocol (and other various versions) as we each strive to make changes that support our unique bodies. Tips to help you find topics of interest can be found here in the Wiki titled "How to get the most out of the APOE4 website". You can search the forums and filter for the results that you are curious about.

I'm currently 57, APOe4/4, lost both my mother and maternal grandmother to AD and follow a KetoFlex type of diet with 12 - 16 hour fasts. I changed my diet 6 years ago to reduce chronic inflammation and basically started living something very close to the prevention protocol back then. Is it worth it? For me, YES!! My head is clear and I feel younger and better than I did in my 20's. Knowledge has been a powerful ally!

I'm sorry that cognitive issues have touched your family so deeply. Having an "amazing" care facility for your mother is such a blessing!
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
thlas1971!
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thlas1971! »

Carrie, thanks for your response. I'm leaning toward doing the ReCODE prevention protocol. To put it into a cost perspective, the annual fee of participating ($900) in prevention would be spent in about 5 days living at a memory care facility. I'll poke around into the link you shared and look for others involved in the Bredesen Protocol to help me decide what to do...
Teresa APOE3/4
Gillyp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gillyp »

I want to add my welcome to our community, thlas1971!. Your first sentence had me laughing out loud. Humor is such an important component in health and it's obviously a strength of yours. It sounds as if your curiosity is driving you to learn as much as you can about cognitive issues and the protocols that may help. It sounds like you've already done much of the hard work by successfully changing the way you eat. It's great feedback for us to hear that you have noticed so many positive changes, in both your husband and yourself, from this step alone. I encourage you to keep learning and to share any insights with us all. There's so much we can learn from each other. Once again a warm welcome..
ND, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
FMCA/Reversing Cognitive Decline - Pending Fall 2018
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Hi. Similar age and situation. Yes, like many people here, I'm on my own version of a prevention program. I have no way to know if it is helping to delay or prevent cognitive problems but my overall health has improved. It's great that you are doing this together. Folks here are very supportive and really have a lot of wisdom to share. Welcome.
Nikki2019
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nikki2019 »

Hi Thlas1971!,

WELCOME!

We are the same age, gender and APOE status. That is great that your ma is doing well in her care home. I wonder what her APOE status is. I think I just realized that lately, I have been wondering about EVERYONES APOE status!
As E4 s, we are inherent fighters and don't give up so easily.