23andme VS Boston Heart tests_tone difference

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: 23andme VS Boston Heart tests_tone difference

Post by NF52 »

Punch wrote:thank you for explaining this so cogently. Altho I love math, I've never quite grasped this concept of statistical increase in my bones. It's the same logic as used for breast cancer. I *sorta* get it, but I don't think I could explain it to anyone else convincingly. You're right, my provider did not explain my r3/4 risk very well. He was shy and avoidant, as if dropping catastrophic news on me. He also knows both my parents have cognitive impairment, but in both cases it was brought on or at least aggravated by a fall.
Glad to help!

You have lots of time and resources to improve your protective factors and your resistance to effects of ApoE 4. And the research on this is booming--way beyond just what is in the news on failed drug trials.

Your parents may want to try a few modest strategies themselves, if gently suggested by you. Even something as simple as getting their B-12 and Vitamin D levels checked could be important. Dr. Stavia's Primer lists Basic Strategies that might not disrupt their lives too much.

About 100 clinical studies in the U.S. are also looking for people with mild cognitive impairment; many of these involve strategies like exercise, diet and control of high blood pressure; they are not all drug trials. Here's a link to the National Institute of Health's Clinical Trials database, with a map that show studies by U.S. state (it also shows studies in other countries). Recruiting Studies | Mild Cognitive Impairment | Older Adult
4/4 and still an optimist!
Its Me
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Its Me »

Punch wrote:New to site -- flustered, eager, still processing the news.
Punch, I'm 3/4, female, age 71.5. I believe in life style as risk is not something set in stone. I've read in the past how there is a tie of cholesterol with brain dementia, heart disease, and similar. My diet for recent decades changed quite a lot, with regular moderate exercise, brain stimulation with lots of reading and challenges. My cholesterol is great - normal or ideal for the numbers. Fortunately I have no family history for dementia or Alzheimer's. So to me the risk is on paper and I don't worry about it.

For those with cholesterol concerns, this is an interesting gov't article on niacin. Often take for high c., it seems a significant problem for those also taking a statin.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Niaci ... fessional/

EXCERPT: Taken with a statin, it provides no added cardio protection, even as there seems some numbers improve, but has killer side effects. "A 2018 review of three randomized controlled trials with 29,195 patients found that all-cause mortality increased by 10% more in those who took 1 to 3 g/day extended release nicotinic acid (this high dose makes niacin a drug) in addition to a statin medication than patients taking the statin alone".
LeanneArnold
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LeanneArnold »

I know this is an old post, but just want to add that Boston Heart is more focused on cardiovascular risks associated with APOE4/4. Some focus on AD, but cardiovascular is a big issue. I had 2 heart attacks rather young and was baffled. Then I learned of my 4/4 status through Boston Heart. The “red” was an indicator that 4/4 is a red flag for heart issues.
Leanne Arnold (age 52)
APOE4/4
3 Heart Attacks (First one age 44)