New ApoE 4/4- overwhelmed but coping

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Matilda
Contributor
Contributor

New ApoE 4/4- overwhelmed but coping

Post by Matilda »

Hi all,

I am 31 and just found out last week that I am 4/4 through 23andMe and I am still dealing with the emotional aftermath. I was especially shocked at the results as I have no history of dementia in my family with 3/4 grandparents living beyond age 84 (without cognitive dysfunction) and my paternal grandfather passing away recently at 99, living independently with my grandmother (currently 94) until 1 month before his death. My parents plan to get tested soon, as they are both at least 3/4, given my results.

After I discovered my status, I immediately found this website and read the Primer, which lead me to Dale Bredesen's book, which I am in the middle of now. I live a pretty healthy lifestyle, practice a lot of yoga, and keep myself intellectually challenged in my daily life as a medical resident.

I know there are other young and asymptomatic 4/4's out there in this group, and I was wondering if anyone has had success implementing the ReCODE protocol at a younger and/or asymptomatic ages. I am worried about not getting much traction with my primary care provider, since I am otherwise healthy. I also don't know if this is considered "overkill" at this point. In the mean time I plan to eliminate inflammatory foods as much as possible and reduce my sugar intake, which I think is relatively low anyway.

Thanks for listening,
Matilda
laureleastman
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New ApoE 4/4- overwhelmed but coping

Post by laureleastman »

Welcome Matilda!

As a young (but still 10 years older than you) asymptomatic 4/4, I wish for you what I have experienced so far in my journey.

18 months into implementing (the basics) of the protocol I'm healthier and happier than I've ever been, and consider the knowledge of my APOE status as a great gift.

Diet, exercise, sleep and relaxation/meditation are transforming me!

Sending you love and light on your journey, you'll find an exceptional community here to support you.
4/4
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Hello Matilda, I'm an asymptomatic 4/4 and will be 82 this month. All the things we do to prevent AZ will help us prevent other health problems and stay in good general health as well. The fact you are following a pretty healthy lifestyle, practice yoga and keep yourself intellectually challenged is a marvelous start. That you are a medical resident is great news because you can aid in spreading the word that there is something we can do to prevent AZ.
Sending you a big welcome hug!
Starfish
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Greetings Matilda, I want to officially welcome you to the apoe4.info site! Congratulations on your early apoe4 testing, healthy lifestyle and thank you for sharing your status. You indicated that you have already found the Primer but I wanted to add (in case it is not clear) that it is written by our physician 'Stavia' who is a member with a 4/4 status. Your plan to eliminate inflammatory foods as much as possible and reduce sugar intake is an excellent place to take further action. Lastly, you are in good company on this site with others who are taking a preemptive strategy for a healthy life. Wishing you the very best!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
Matilda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Matilda »

laureleastman wrote:Welcome Matilda!

As a young (but still 10 years older than you) asymptomatic 4/4, I wish for you what I have experienced so far in my journey.

18 months into implementing (the basics) of the protocol I'm healthier and happier than I've ever been, and consider the knowledge of my APOE status as a great gift.

Diet, exercise, sleep and relaxation/meditation are transforming me!

Sending you love and light on your journey, you'll find an exceptional community here to support you.

Thank you so much!
Matilda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Matilda »

Starfish77 wrote:Hello Matilda, I'm an asymptomatic 4/4 and will be 82 this month. All the things we do to prevent AZ will help us prevent other health problems and stay in good general health as well. The fact you are following a pretty healthy lifestyle, practice yoga and keep yourself intellectually challenged is a marvelous start. That you are a medical resident is great news because you can aid in spreading the word that there is something we can do to prevent AZ.
Sending you a big welcome hug!
Starfish
Thank you for response, this gives me so much hope.
GLS18
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GLS18 »

Matilda wrote:Hi all,

I am 31 and just found out last week that I am 4/4 through 23andMe and I am still dealing with the emotional aftermath. I was especially shocked at the results as I have no history of dementia in my family with 3/4 grandparents living beyond age 84 (without cognitive dysfunction) and my paternal grandfather passing away recently at 99, living independently with my grandmother (currently 94) until 1 month before his death. My parents plan to get tested soon, as they are both at least 3/4, given my results.

After I discovered my status, I immediately found this website and read the Primer, which lead me to Dale Bredesen's book, which I am in the middle of now. I live a pretty healthy lifestyle, practice a lot of yoga, and keep myself intellectually challenged in my daily life as a medical resident.

I know there are other young and asymptomatic 4/4's out there in this group, and I was wondering if anyone has had success implementing the ReCODE protocol at a younger and/or asymptomatic ages. I am worried about not getting much traction with my primary care provider, since I am otherwise healthy. I also don't know if this is considered "overkill" at this point. In the mean time I plan to eliminate inflammatory foods as much as possible and reduce my sugar intake, which I think is relatively low anyway.

Thanks for listening,
Matilda
Hi Matilda & A Warm Welcome To Our Community!

Your decision to begin the new year by joining our community is a testament to your commitment to take charge of your health. It is difficult to learn of one's ApoE4 status, especially when the results come as a surprise. Your proactive approach and zest for life has also led you to many valuable resources such as the Primer and Dr. Bredesen's book. As you will continue to discover, genes only account for 25% and whether or not our genes are expressed relies on lifestyle factors such as diet, nutrition, sleep, relaxation, stress, relationships, exercise/movement and toxin exposure. You are already taking great steps for your health at a young age with a focus on keeping inflammatory foods and sugar intake to a minimum, yoga practice and intellectual stimulation. If you reflect on the other lifestyle factors I mentioned, how do you feel about them? is there a small step in a couple of the areas that may make a positive impact on your cognitive and overall health?

Since you are concerned about focusing on cognitive health with your PCP, you may find it helpful to review our Searching For A Healthcare Practitioner Wiki for additional options and support. As you continue to delve into the site and search for specific topics, The How To Get The Most Out Of The ApoE4.Info Website will assist you in navigating the site more effectively.

I'm excited to think of all of the future patients you will support with all that you glean from your own health journey!

Wishing you all the best and again, a warm welcome:)
Gina
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches Certification Candidate, Fall 2018
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi
Torimintz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Torimintz »

There are so many of us on here who support each other with our 4/4. I am so thrilled to have all of you to communicate with.