ApoE 2/4 and diet

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
JohnThomas
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 am

ApoE 2/4 and diet

Postby JohnThomas » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:30 am

I just found out that I’m Apoe2/4 and I’m trying to figure some things out.

Although I have the 4 variant, I’m encouraged by the fact that even if I have maybe a 20% chance of AD, that means that I have an 80% chance of not getting AD. I’m 64 and I still have a great short-term and long-term memory.

Also, no one on either side of my family line has ever had AD or dementia or have ever died of heart disease.

So, given that I am ApoE 2/4, can anyone comment on what diet is best or direct me to some research on diet for 2/4?

Thanks,
John

User avatar
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:22 am
Location: Northern New Mexico

Re: ApoE 2/4 and diet

Postby floramaria » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:46 am

JohnThomas wrote:I just found out that I’m Apoe2/4 and I’m trying to figure some things out.

Although I have the 4 variant, I’m encouraged by the fact that even if I have maybe a 20% chance of AD, that means that I have an 80% chance of not getting AD. I’m 64 and I still have a great short-term and long-term memory.

Also, no one on either side of my family line has ever had AD or dementia or have ever died of heart disease.

So, given that I am ApoE 2/4, can anyone comment on what diet is best or direct me to some research on diet for 2/4?

Thanks,
John


Welcome, John! Your interpretation of what the odds are is the same way I like to look at them~ a 20 % chance of developing Alzheimer's is also an 80% chance of NOT developing it. You will see as you explore the site that within this community there is an strong underlying commitment to the idea that the epigenetic factors that are within our control can change the odds even more in favor of retaining cognitive health. I am happy to hear that your own memory is great both long and short term, and that you have no family history on either side of AD or dementia or death from heart disease.
An excellent place to get an overview of a lot of information on the ApoE4 allele is the Primer, written and regularly updated by a physician member.

You can also use the Wiki to get more in depth information in specific areas of interest, such as diet. There is not a unified approach to diet here. Rather, members are following different dietary guidelines and finding what works well for them individually. As far as I know, no one is posting specific recommendations for ApoE2/4's. The ApoE2 allele is generally regarded as protective, as you probably know. Here posts relate mainly to about how to counteract the risks of ApoE4.

The Wiki also includes a section with useful tips on how to get the most out of this website.

There is a search option, which you can access with the magnifying glass to the left of your user name or through the drop down menu that you'll get by clicking the three dots to the right of your name. That allows you to see all previous posts that contain your search word or phrase. (For example, there are 133 posts that appeared when I typed in ApoE2. )

We look forward to your participation on the forums. Please ask questions as they come up.
Again, a warm welcome to you!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)

User avatar
CoachJD
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:32 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: ApoE 2/4 and diet

Postby CoachJD » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:49 am

Welcome John Thomas to the ApoE4 Community! You'll find an abundance of information and support on this website not only about diet, but about all of the contributing factors to optimal health. I suggest you start to familiarize yourself by clicking on FORUMS, then GETTING STARTED and reading the PRIMER, written by an ApoE4/4 doctor. Also, click on WIKI to search this area for more information.

Diet is just one component to maintaining optimal cognitive performance, but it's a great place to start making changes to your lifestyle. Your DNA is only one thing to consider when designing the best diet and supplement regime for you, as other factors contribute to how your body uses food and supplements. Get started by reading this section on the WIKI:

https://www.apoe4.info/wiki/Optimize_diet

I hope you'll read this and other sections and let us know how we can assist you in your journey forward! Please post and let us know how you're doing, and ask for any help you might need.
Joan Dickason, FMCHC
National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches, CertificationPending Fall 2018
"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional " Haruki Muraka

JohnThomas
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 am

Re: ApoE 2/4 and diet

Postby JohnThomas » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:56 pm

Thanks All,

After telling me that my test results came back as a ApoE 2/4, my doc told me to be thankful that I have the 2 variant and not another 4 because there’s some that believe that the 2 negates the 4 to a large degree. I sure hope so.

Thanks,
John


Return to “Our Stories”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests