Breseden Protocol Recipe Suggestions

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
snordquist
New User
New User

Breseden Protocol Recipe Suggestions

Post by snordquist »

Hello,
My husband has just embarked on the Breseden Protocol under the care of a local doctor trained in the protocol. He is 72 and has been diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment. Additionally, we just learned via the 23 and Me that he carries one allele for APOE 4. So I am trying to locate some good sources for recipes that incorporate all of the dietary restrictions. We have been told no gluten, no dairy, to follow a Mediterranean diet but without the grains. I know the Keto diet has been recommended on some sites but that diet includes pork and far more meat. Since I also work full time, I would also be interested in suggestions for ready made items I can purchase for some meals since I can't cook everything from scratch.

It is a pleasure to meet all of you. I look forward to learning from your experience and knowledge!
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Breseden Protocol Recipe Suggestions

Post by TheresaB »

I did a search on "recipes" and came up with 480 hits from our forums. Here's the link to the results: search.php?keywords=recipes&terms=all&a ... mit=Search

Our wiki also has a write-up: Recipes from our members
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Steve Gundry's Plant Paradox is compliant (though a bit more strict) that Bredesen's approach. If you search Pinterest, Instagram other areas with @PlantParadox ( do a search on Pinterest #LectinFreeMama - & etc) you should get a good list. One good source is https://lectinfreemama.com/.
Tincup
E3,E4
dcox
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dcox »

snordquist wrote:Hello,
My husband has just embarked on the Breseden Protocol under the care of a local doctor trained in the protocol. He is 72 and has been diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment. Additionally, we just learned via the 23 and Me that he carries one allele for APOE 4. So I am trying to locate some good sources for recipes that incorporate all of the dietary restrictions. We have been told no gluten, no dairy, to follow a Mediterranean diet but without the grains. I know the Keto diet has been recommended on some sites but that diet includes pork and far more meat. Since I also work full time, I would also be interested in suggestions for ready made items I can purchase for some meals since I can't cook everything from scratch.

It is a pleasure to meet all of you. I look forward to learning from your experience and knowledge!
Welcome snordquist!
Tincup and TheresaB have already given you some great advice on finding great recipes. Here is a link to a list of Home Delivery Services. I have not tried any of them and I don't subscribe to Self, but it looks like a pretty comprehensive list, and a good place to begin looking for a good service. These are national services, you could also try looking locally as some areas have good local services. You might consider starting a post here with "home delivery meal services" in the title as I'm sure some of our members have tried them and can offer more helpful advice. Don't be afraid to experiment with your favorite recipes to make them fit these diet guidelines sometimes making simple substitutions can easily make a favorite more healthy without feeling restricted or deprived of your favorite meals.

I'm happy to hear you and your husband have found a Bredesen trained doctor, that can definitely make the journey a little easier, and give you both answers to questions as they arise. You have also found a great place in ApoE4.info, to find hope, support and a wealth of knowledge from members on their own journeys to prevent, reverse and stop AD in its tracks. I'm sure you will glean great ideas from this always helpful and supportive community. We have a wiki page for Bredesen trained practitioners, if your doctor is willing we would love to add him/her if they are not already listed, as this may help others searching for a practitioner.

Here are a few tips/links to make navigating the site a little easier: the Wiki Page, where you will find some more in depth topics; the Primer, written by Stavia one of our most active members a Dr. and E4/E4 herself, this is an amazing place to start she truly put her heart into writing it; this page will help you learn how to use the site more efficiently "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website.

We are excited to have you join us on your journey! Being a loving caregiver to a family member with AD can have its own challenges and we are here for you too, to support, uplift and encourage you to take great care of yourself along this road. Here is a thread that may offer you strength and encouragement also.

Please feel free to ask questions, explore the site and keep us updated on your journey.

Find your joy and hope in each new day and each new discovery along your path,
Deb
Deb
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Enrolled in Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches
Choose Hope