Thank you

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Neurogrowth
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you

Post by Neurogrowth »

Hi all,

I’m a 3/4 and I found out last August from 23andMe. Although I had originally submitted my information to 23 and me about five years earlier when they were no longer providing health information and then slowly information started being released. I didn’t access the APOE content when it first was released. When I finally opened it in August I felt simultaneously- “I already knew this” and like a deer in the headlights.

I immediately spent a few solid weekends researching information and I found this site. I started looking at Dr. Bredeson‘s information and everything I could get my hands on. About a week later I was in a bad car accident that took all my energy for healing and focusing for the rest of the year. I’m finally getting back to the place where I can focus on this aspect of my health again.

I’m a caregiver to my mom who has significant undiagnosed memory loss for a decade and as of last week is going through a health crisis that took her to the ED, hospital, and now admitted to a transitional care unit to help her regain her strength. Her Moca score last week was a 14, and 5 years prior was an 11 - so she’s hanging in there. But I know with additional support she could be feeling much more clear and stronger. She hasn’t been interested in any lifestyle changes up until now, but that may change with this recent hospitalization.

I notice minor things for my own symptoms, that are exacerbated when I am overtired or not eating as well. Diet and fasting seem to make a huge difference. I’ve been interested in the ancestral health community, Paleo and keto for about a decade and have mixed results on my ability to implement those strategies consistently.

I’ve considered submitting my information to Dr. Bredeson to get a more defined work up since I also I have methylation related polymorphisms and I’m not 100% clear on what is the best path forward. I’m also a bit overwhelmed with both my health and my mom’s health and so having a “prescription“ to follow might be the best thing for me right now.

I’m also in healthcare and have considered going through Dr Bredesen’s training. I’m curious whether anyone else on this forum has done so and their thoughts on how it went. I’m sure that information is already on the forum somewhere, but I haven’t looked for it yet. If nothing else I feel like his training would help me take better care of myself and my mom, but I also think it would provide a great training for my brain and a structure to support other patients I work with.

I wanted to introduce myself but I also wanted to extend immense gratitude to all of the long time members of this forum who have built all this knowledge and support for all who need it. Even though the volume of information can feel overwhelming, it feels also like a safe place to land to ask questions. I will try my best to take in a little bit every day or every other day. I’m also working my way through Dr. Bredeson‘s book again, and trying to implement small changes that feel doable
Wishing everyone healing, peace of mind and support!
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Thank you

Post by chrissyr »

Sending you support from another caregiver. Medical issues are so difficult with AD. My mom has been holding steady health-wise, but we recently spent 10 hours in the ER and then 2 nights in the hospital. She was anxious and scared and we had to be there all the time as she wouldn't have understood what was happening, plus kept trying to take out the iv, get up against Dr orders, etc.

It is exhausting and stressful, so take whatever self-care you can. Healing, peace of mind and support coming back to you!
Neurogrowth
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Neurogrowth »

Thanks Chrissyr - I’m grateful. It’s amazing how hearing from someone who’s just recently walked that same road with caregiving provides comfort. I’m not sure why that is but I’m grateful nonetheless. Wishing you and your family the best in health and perseverance.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

I agree! Just reading what I wrote doesn't really explain-- but I know many others have been there. Although I'm not sure if it feels too personal (esp sharing about a loved one online), I think I will begin to post and find support/wisdom/knowledge on the caregivers' thread under "our stories". So thank YOU for your post! Peace.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

chrissyr wrote:Sending you support from another caregiver. Medical issues are so difficult with AD. My mom has been holding steady health-wise, but we recently spent 10 hours in the ER and then 2 nights in the hospital. She was anxious and scared and we had to be there all the time as she wouldn't have understood what was happening, plus kept trying to take out the iv, get up against Dr orders, etc.
It was organizing care for the last 10 or so years of my mother's life, with her dementia that caused me to test myself in 2014, a year after she passed. Hence I can relate. Nearly immediately I found and joined ApoE4.info and started participating.

When my mom broke her hip, she needed a 24 hour attendant to keep her from ripping the IV's out.
Tincup
E3,E4