What do you know about Stratgene?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

What do you know about Stratgene?

Post by Berri »

Has anyone had Stratgene analyze their 23andme data? If so, what does it give you. Is it a good idea?

Thanks, Berri
CoachDD
Contributor
Contributor

Re: What do you know about Stratgene?

Post by CoachDD »

Greetings Berri - I have seen the Strategene reports and find it is useful considering the price. It outlines specific SNPs based on your genetic data and details certain medical issues that may arise. Example: if you have the compound heterozygous MTHFR mutation, it will indicate that there is a 50% reduction in MTHFR (methylation) activity. Here's a picture of what it shows - hope this helps!:
fullsizeoutput_1c33.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning to Live (3/4)
Certified Health and Wellness Coach ~ Functional Medicine Coaching Academy
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Berri »

Thanks, CoachDD.

Question: I just signed up for the ReCode protocol but have not yet been scheduled for the tests. Should I wait and see how those come out before doing Strategene? Also, can anyone tell me how much a health coach should cost? I've made contact with someone whose credentials are impressive but who wants $850 for four telephone sessions. I just paid nearly $1400 for ReCode so am gulping at these new costs and I know there will be a lot more. Do you think I might be able to turn any of these bills into Medicare?

I realize it's still cheaper than Alzheimer's care, but I live on a small pension and Social Security. Has anyone been through the ReCode with a practitioner? I have good health insurance and perhaps should be consulting my regular PC but she didn't even want me to test my homocysteine. I think she's probably in the camp who believes there is no option, no way back. Sorry, I see I am rambling: this reflects my state of mind at present -- overwhelmed.

I am E4 with 14 close relatives who succumbed to dementia in their late 70s/early 80s. I am now 84 and do not think I have symptoms except for blanking on names now and then. One thing might be in my favor: I've been gluten and dairy free for 20 years. I quit nightshades three months ago.

Any and all advice welcome.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Hi Berri;

The best news is that you are 84 and feel good. Congratulations!

That being said, apologies if I've misinterpreted any of your posts so far...

It sounds like you have signed up for lab tests with AHNP to start exploring possible areas needing improvement to reduce risk of cognitive decline. Stratgene will provide you with interpretation of your 23&Me genetic information. The Stratgene website has a short video to help people decide if their service will be of benefit; you may want to watch this. Some of our members embrace the additional information at the beginning of their journey, while others are already overwhelmed with data and suggestions, and decide to wait until they feel more confident of their ability to process the information. And some of us have not done any indepth genetic testing or interpretation.

What role are you expecting the health coach to fill for you, and how did you find the one whose credentials you liked? The health coaches I am familiar with do not interpret test results, but perhaps this person does. Some health coaches give a short session for free to help determine if the relationship will be a good match. You may want to look into this.

In my experience, Medicare won't reimburse for the labs or health coaching. Medicare insurance is the most restrictive on covering lab work, and require appropriate diagnoses for each lab test to determine coverage. I don't think any diagnoses are used to order labs through AHNP. Most Medicares do not cover health coaches, but your specific insurance may differ. It doesn't hurt to call and find out.

Hope this helps. Taking small steps in the right direction are still very helpful to reach your goals. Take on what you can financially, add on as necessary. Focusing on nutrition, exercise, sleep, and stress management are good places to start.
Slacker
E4/E4
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Hi Berri, There is a listing of apoe4.info health coaches located in the wiki pages where you might locate some alternative health coaching options. Select WIKI from the menu bar above and then search on health coach. Good Luck!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD