Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Larsmars11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Larsmars11 »

just now joined, wife in memory care facility, AD, turns 77 in 2 weeks, I'll b 76 in 3 weeks. 23andMe should let me know if I'm e4 positive in a week. my memory is worse than it was 2 years ago, so I guess I may b SCI. I would dearly love to get my wife stabilized or improved. my dream of course is to bring her back home, she's been in the facility for a year. my thought is to gain control of her diet to eliminate gluten, sugar, dairy and saturated fat and give her copious amounts of wild salmon and Omega 3. Tried to get her thru 23andMe, but she is unable to spit. anyone know another way to find out if she is e4 positive? her mom had AD, so I'm assuming she has one or two copies of e4. she takes prescription vitamin D. I'm totally onboard w Bredesen ,even tho her neurologist hasn't read the book. it seems like eliminating saturated fat and getting omega6/omega3 in balance might work wonders, along w other supplements (B6,9,12. magnesium L-threonate). thoughts appreciated. L,
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: newbie

Post by TheresaB »

I'm so sorry to hear of the challenges you and your wife are facing.
Larsmars11 wrote:Tried to get her thru 23andMe, but she is unable to spit. anyone know another way to find out if she is e4 positive?
You can go through Direct Labs https://www.directlabs.com/Default.aspx ... S&tabid=55
And order this test:
Cardio IQ® ApoE Genotype https://www.directlabs.com/TestDetail.aspx?testid=1821

You’ll then have to go to a designated lab to get the blood drawn.
Larsmars11 wrote:her mom had AD, so I'm assuming she has one or two copies of e4
ApoE4's are more predisposed but any genotype can get Alzheimer's. Similarly, not all ApoE4 carriers develop AD. I'm a 4/4 and my only family reference is a grandmother who was diagnosed with dementia when she was in her 90s. Nevertheless if you want to get aligned with ApoE4 diet and lifestyle recommendations beyond Dr Bredesen's book, which you are evidently already familiar with, a great place to start is by going to the "Getting Started" Forum and read PRIMER: An introduction to ApoE4, biochemistry, and possible prevention strategies
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
GLS18
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GLS18 »

Larsmars11 wrote:just now joined, wife in memory care facility, AD, turns 77 in 2 weeks, I'll b 76 in 3 weeks. 23andMe should let me know if I'm e4 positive in a week. my memory is worse than it was 2 years ago, so I guess I may b SCI. I would dearly love to get my wife stabilized or improved. my dream of course is to bring her back home, she's been in the facility for a year. my thought is to gain control of her diet to eliminate gluten, sugar, dairy and saturated fat and give her copious amounts of wild salmon and Omega 3. Tried to get her thru 23andMe, but she is unable to spit. anyone know another way to find out if she is e4 positive? her mom had AD, so I'm assuming she has one or two copies of e4. she takes prescription vitamin D. I'm totally onboard w Bredesen ,even tho her neurologist hasn't read the book. it seems like eliminating saturated fat and getting omega6/omega3 in balance might work wonders, along w other supplements (B6,9,12. magnesium L-threonate). thoughts appreciated. L,
Hi Larsmars11 & A Very Warm Welcome To Our Community!

Sending all my best wishes to you and your wife. I too hope that she improves and is able to return home. You are a wonderful husband to research all that can be done for her. As Dr. Bredesen mentions in his book, The End OF Alzheimer's, lifestyle factors such as diet, nutrition, sleep, relaxation, stress, relationships and toxin exposure can have a tremendous impact on our cognitive and overall health. Knowing one's APOE status, lab results and biomarkers can help tailor a plan to best suit her needs. I'm not certain if there is another way other than saliva, to administer the test. If there is, I'm sure another member will advise.

In addition to using the Bredesen book as a guide, this supportive community offers many opportunities to learn and share insights. The knowledge gleaned from fellow members via the forums will engage and empower you. The Primer is a fantastic resource exploring areas such as the science behind the ApoE4 gene and the lifestyle factors that impact its expression. It is beautifully compiled by Stavia, a physician, member and E4/E4. To support your efforts in navigating the site and searching for topics related to diet for example, I hope that you find the following brilliant guide useful: How To Get The Most Out Of The ApoE4.Info Website.

Please keep us posted and continue to share feedback and ask questions. We all learn from each other and inspire one another.

Again, a warm welcome:)
Gina
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches Certification Candidate, Fall 2018
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi
Larsmars11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Larsmars11 »

TheresaB, thanks so much for ur response. hope u r doing well. I will go to Direct Labs. L.