New 4/4er here. Just saying hello

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
cardiolvr
Contributor
Contributor

New 4/4er here. Just saying hello

Post by cardiolvr »

I found out I was 4/4 a while back, like in 2012 when 23andme came out. And results were quite a shock to me. I was 37 at the time (42 now) and I'm still getting used to living with the 4/4 status and trying to learn the right things to minimize the impact of my APOE4 homozygoty.

I went out and did my mom, dad and sister, and they all turned to be 3/4s.. so I was unlucky enough to get the two 4s from mom and dad. Shockingly my dad started showing symptoms of Alzheimer right after I was doing all this testing and passed away just a couple years ago at age 84. Seeing him drifting away for the last years was quite difficult, but destiny had it that he got lost one day, got into an accident from which he was unable to recover a few days later. I don't know how much longer he would have lasted anyway, and the last few months had seen a precipitous decline in terms of cognition, was being hard to have the most minimal coherent conversation with him, so probably what was coming after that wasn't good at all.

Been lurking these forums for a while, and I see there are tons of good information. I hope to become a member of this community and learn from you on how to move forward.
APOE 4/4 and hopeful.

diet -> IF 18/6 daily | ketoish 45/45/10 | week fast 4x/year | low carb 40/40/20 | min sat fats.
excercise -> 240 min/weekly +150bpm, strength training
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New 4/4er here. Just saying hello

Post by CarrieS »

cardiolvr wrote:I found out I was 4/4 a while back, like in 2012 when 23andme came out. And results were quite a shock to me. I was 37 at the time (42 now) and I'm still getting used to living with the 4/4 status and trying to learn the right things to minimize the impact of my APOE4 homozygoty.

I went out and did my mom, dad and sister, and they all turned to be 3/4s.. so I was unlucky enough to get the two 4s from mom and dad. Shockingly my dad started showing symptoms of Alzheimer right after I was doing all this testing and passed away just a couple years ago at age 84. Seeing him drifting away for the last years was quite difficult, but destiny had it that he got lost one day, got into an accident from which he was unable to recover a few days later. I don't know how much longer he would have lasted anyway, and the last few months had seen a precipitous decline in terms of cognition, was being hard to have the most minimal coherent conversation with him, so probably what was coming after that wasn't good at all.

Been lurking these forums for a while, and I see there are tons of good information. I hope to become a member of this community and learn from you on how to move forward.
Hello cardiolvr and kudos on your first post in the Forums. It's a big scary step to put yourself out there in the limelight. I'm sorry for the loss of your father. Those experiences can be powerful for us 4/4's to help keep us moving forward to honor them by being part of figuring this disease out. I look forward to your participation in this supportive community of hope and information!
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Gillyp
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New 4/4er here. Just saying hello

Post by Gillyp »

A warm welcome to the community Cardiolvr! It sounds like you've already done a lot of research and that you are an infuser; passing on what you learn to help both yourself and your family. I'm sorry to hear that your father passed a couple of years ago. I'm sure, at 84, there was much about his life that, together as a family, you could celebrate.

I'm so pleased you finally took the first step and posted. You are right, there is so much information on the site. A good place to start is the Primer (viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418). We are all here to support each other and to learn from one another. I hope that you find the time to post again in the future - whether questions, thoughts or insights. It's always good to learn something new and to be surrounded by people who have the same type of focus. Again, welcome.
ND, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
FMCA/Reversing Cognitive Decline - Pending Fall 2018