Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Member

Post by slacker »

I too have a sweet tooth, and find that it goes into remission if I avoid sugar for a few days. The opposite is also true! 8-)
Slacker
E4/E4
Alison
New User
New User

Post by Alison »

Hi Bayside walker,
I live in metro San Diego area and just read the End of Alzheimer's book by Dale Bredesen. My husband is having short term memory loss and we're just getting started on options. We don't have a primary Doctor but have medicare and a good supplement. What Doctors have you found in our area? Any that are Functional Medicine practitioners? We'd like to work with an MD so our insurance would cover the costs. We have been currently been working with a great acupuncturist in Poway but costs are all our of pocket. I've downloaded the IMP practitioners list but I would prefer a referral.
Thanks for your help
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

baysidewalk wrote:... My doctor in San Diego is certified in the Bredesen Protocol and will be a great resource as I meet with him again...
Alison wrote: Hi Bayside walker,
I live in metro San Diego area and just read the End of Alzheimer's book by Dale Bredesen. My husband is having short term memory loss and we're just getting started on options. We don't have a primary Doctor but have medicare and a good supplement. What Doctors have you found in our area? Any that are Functional Medicine practitioners? We'd like to work with an MD so our insurance would cover the costs. We have been currently been working with a great acupuncturist in Poway but costs are all our of pocket. I've downloaded the IMP practitioners list but I would prefer a referral.
Thanks for your help
Welcome, Alison!

I'm glad you found our forum yesterday and know that you must be a wonderful advocate and support for your husband, since you have also found the IFM list of practitioners. Here are a couple more resources that may help:

Below is the link from our resource-rich Wiki to practitioners who have been recommended by our members or who have added their own information. We call them "ApoE4-Aware" because while most have Bredesen training, all have been reviewed as knowledgeable and willing to work with members on ApoE 4-related health.
ApoE4-Aware Healthcare Practitioners

And here is the Wiki link for Searching for a Healthcare Practitioner.

I quoted "baysidewalk" using the single large quotation mark (you can find it in the upper right hand corner of each post). Quoting someone triggers an email notifying her of your question. If she's comfortable doing so, she can either post a reply or send you a Private Message. For step-by-step directions on that, and how to search for topics, subscribe to forums or conversations "threads", send Private Messages and find unread posts, check out this wiki entry:
"How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website

As a personal note: My husband and I are also on Medicare with a Medicare Advantage program, and have discovered that it pays for some of the blood tests are recommended by Dr. Bredesen. But it does not cover them all. Most Functional Medicine doctors spend a considerable time with patients at each appointment, so do not accept Medicare or other health insurance payments. What some of us have done is use online lab requisitions, with blood word taken at local labs and then sent in to the online company, which sends you results within days. I then take those results to my local doctor, who I like very much, and we have a great discussion about what to do about the results. I have spent only a couple of hundred dollars out of pocket over the last several years (although I have not gotten the full array of tests possible!) Here's yet another Wiki link to that topic: Direct to Consumer Lab Testing Options

For some suggestions about which tests to prioritize, check out the PRIMER by Dr. Stavia, who is herself ApoE 4/4.

And please feel free to share more about yourself; we are a community of people who believe in the power of learning together!
4/4 and still an optimist!
baysidewalk
Contributor
Contributor

Post by baysidewalk »

Hi Alison,

I found Dr. Charles A. Moss by searching for "Bredesen practitioners in San Diego". He's located in La Jolla, off La Jolla Village Drive, and he is a certified Bredesen practitioner. I met with him in early December and we talked about my history and what he does. I found that the "personal note" from the WikiLeak link regarding pricing etc. are correct, and I also have Medicare with a supplement . He did spend considerable time with me and I purchased several recommended nutritional supplements from his office and set up testing appointments for a LOT of tests. One was able to be done in-office; others required timed responses and samples from home sent off; a few were off site locally. It takes a lot of time (2 months) from the initial appointment to the review appointment, which will be about a week from today. I've had to replace a couple of supplements. Instructions for some of the tests were initially confusing but I found the office staff VERY helpful in answering my questions.

My mother had Alzheimers, and my father had Parkinsons, perhaps coupled with Alzheimers; he passed away before that could be confirmed. I'm an only child but have a wonderful, supportive husband and two wonderful sons, who are following my journey with love and understanding. I'm lucky.

I've read Dr. Bredesen's book repeatedly (it's a lot to absorb) and have attempted to follow the Ketoflex 12/3 program closely. It's a challenge! I must also say that this site is really helpful and that the people here are responsive and understand our challenge and frustrations, as no one else really can.

Best of luck with your journey here -- I'm so grateful to find some fellow travelers and to feel that I am being proactive at last.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

baysidewalk wrote:Hi -- I've just learned I have APOE4 and I'm trying to absorb a lot -- it's information overload!
When you say that you have APOE4, do you know if you have one or two copies? If only one (e.g. 3/4), then your risks for AD are less than if you have two copies (e.g. 4/4). It could likely make a difference in how you go forward.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
baysidewalk
Contributor
Contributor

Post by baysidewalk »

Thanks Mike, No I got a copy of the bloodwork showing the 4/4. I wish it were the other way, but at least now I know what I'm dealing with, even ahead of my analysis meeting with Dr. Moss.
Matisse
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Matisse »

baysidewalk wrote:Hi Alison,

I found Dr. Charles A. Moss by searching for "Bredesen practitioners in San Diego". He's located in La Jolla, off La Jolla Village Drive, and he is a certified Bredesen practitioner. I met with him in early December and we talked about my history and what he does. I found that the "personal note" from the WikiLeak link regarding pricing etc. are correct, and I also have Medicare with a supplement . He did spend considerable time with me and I purchased several recommended nutritional supplements from his office and set up testing appointments for a LOT of tests. One was able to be done in-office; others required timed responses and samples from home sent off; a few were off site locally. It takes a lot of time (2 months) from the initial appointment to the review appointment, which will be about a week from today. I've had to replace a couple of supplements. Instructions for some of the tests were initially confusing but I found the office staff VERY helpful in answering my questions.

My mother had Alzheimers, and my father had Parkinsons, perhaps coupled with Alzheimers; he passed away before that could be confirmed. I'm an only child but have a wonderful, supportive husband and two wonderful sons, who are following my journey with love and understanding. I'm lucky.

I've read Dr. Bredesen's book repeatedly (it's a lot to absorb) and have attempted to follow the Ketoflex 12/3 program closely. It's a challenge! I must also say that this site is really helpful and that the people here are responsive and understand our challenge and frustrations, as no one else really can.

Best of luck with your journey here -- I'm so grateful to find some fellow travelers and to feel that I am being proactive at last.
I sent you a PM.