Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
baysidewalk
Contributor
Contributor

Post by baysidewalk »

Hi -- I've just learned I have APOE4 and I'm trying to absorb a lot -- it's information overload! The biggest surprise was my high risk factors relating to cardiovascular measurements. I'm starting more cardio immediately! My doctor in San Diego is certified in the Bredesen Protocol and will be a great resource as I meet with him again, but until then I'm confused about diet. Apparently the dietary suggestions are different for APOE4 than for other genetic levels -- and I read suggestions for the MIND Diet, and Keto and so on, but there are a lot of suggestions there that are specifically NOT good for APOE4, like a glass of wine and many grains, etc. Is there a dietary guide specifically for APOE4 so I don't go in different directions?
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Member

Post by Magda »

baysidewalk wrote:Hi -- I've just learned I have APOE4 and I'm trying to absorb a lot -- it's information overload! The biggest surprise was my high risk factors relating to cardiovascular measurements. I'm starting more cardio immediately! My doctor in San Diego is certified in the Bredesen Protocol and will be a great resource as I meet with him again, but until then I'm confused about diet. Apparently the dietary suggestions are different for APOE4 than for other genetic levels -- and I read suggestions for the MIND Diet, and Keto and so on, but there are a lot of suggestions there that are specifically NOT good for APOE4, like a glass of wine and many grains, etc. Is there a dietary guide specifically for APOE4 so I don't go in different directions?

Hello Baysidewalk,
Welcome to apoe4.info!

I agree with you that there is a huge amount information out there!
We live in extremely interesting time, where all the scientific research in a field of brain health is being conducted and published. I am supper grateful that the medical industry has started to investigate the causes of the cognitive decline outside of the brain. However, it takes a lot of work to compile, understand and them implement learned material into your life. So, I am super happy to hear that you are already working with a practitioner trained in Dr. Bredesen’s protocol! I am sure he will, in a small achievable step, guide you to your optimal health!

If you are interested in learning a little more about diet ideas for Apoe4 carriers, I would like to point you towards Dr. Gundry’s work. Many members of our site follow his protocols. Here one of the threats on this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5368&hilit=gundry

I also, would like to invite you to take a look at the PRIMER, written and updated by our member Dr. Stavia. I am sure the PRIMER will clarify many un-answered questions. I think about the PRIME, as a road map with great tips and tools to implement right away:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418

If you would like to learn how to get the most out of out forum, here is the link to a great page:
https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/%22How-To% ... fo_website

Again, welcome to the forum, and please do not hesitate to post if any questions or concerns arise.

My best,
Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

It's wonderful that your doctor is certified in the protocol. What a big help that will be!
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Welcome baysidewalk!

There is not perfect consensus on what makes a perfect ApoE4 diet. Both Gundry and Bredesen encourage less saturated fat for E4s, at least from last I heard. Others feel that saturated fats are not harmful. We each are little N=1 experiments. Those who recommend less alcohol and grains do so regardless of ApoE status.

I second Magda's recommendation to look at our primer. Dr Stavia has excellent, well written, and down to earth information available there.
Slacker
E4/E4
baysidewalk
Contributor
Contributor

Post by baysidewalk »

Thank you for your responses! I've done all my tests and meet with Dr. Moss in a couple of weeks for his recommendations. In the meantime I'm trying to follow the re-code protocol as much as possible. I've eliminated saturated fats as much as possible, stopped drinking alcohol (I thought tequila was ok because no carbs, no fats, no protein, but apparently alcohol is BAD for E4's and I DID like red wine...). My mother had Alzheimers so I knew I had some allele's but the 4 was a surprise. My Dad had Parkinsons...

Anyway, I have read the Primer (thank you Stavia). My doctor has recommended several supplements pre-test results -- bacopa bonnieri, pure Omega 1300, S-Acetyl Glutathione, and OptiMag Neuro. Additionally I take Melatonin, Body-Wise morning and evening multi-vitamins, Co-Q 10, Alendronate for osteoporosis, and recently added Tryptophan and Turmeric. Wow. Does anyone have a solution to the pharmacy on my countertop and keeping track?? And I suspect he will add some more. Additionally I take nightly Gapapentin for restless leg syndrome. So I do sleep well!

I am 72 next week and have always been in good health. My test results (I requested the ones that have come in so far) indicate high risk for cardiovascular disease, which I guess goes along with the E4. I have done strength training for many years but now I'm adding cardio (if you have not looked into Silver Sneakers, it's a great and free program with Medicare).

So I'm trying to sort the diet issues. My son has type 1 Diabetes (closest relative in the family is his great uncle -- no one else) so he is basically on Keto. But I don't think all the keto recommendations apply to Alz E4. Thank goodness we can have a piece of dark chocolate! Keto allows sugar substitutes -- are they ok for E4 in moderation?

Thanks everyone -- this was a lot of questions. I am so glad there is this forum!
baysidewalk
Contributor
Contributor

Post by baysidewalk »

Hi again. I just read Ski's "Best Practices" which answers some questions I posed above. Thank you, Ski, and thank you again for this forum!
Its Me
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Its Me »

slacker wrote: Others feel that saturated fats are not harmful.
Interesting info. I made a choice maybe 2 decades ago, nothing to do with genes, to use liquid fats/oils in cooking and on foods, even potatoes. I just felt eating solid fat equated to clogged arteries rightly or wrongly. I have the occasional butter treat at a restaurant and occasional hard cheese (good for my FODMAP-ish diet per my gastro doc) and occasional low fat hamburger. My cholesterol is great. The lipids were, however, in the 50's that I worried was too low. Then a colleague at another forum was in the 40's and does not worry at all. So perhaps my change in fats in my diet is shown in the low lipids, good results and contributing to what makes my cholesterol so good.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

baysidewalk wrote: So I'm trying to sort the diet issues. My son has type 1 Diabetes (closest relative in the family is his great uncle -- no one else) so he is basically on Keto. But I don't think all the keto recommendations apply to Alz E4. Thank goodness we can have a piece of dark chocolate! Keto allows sugar substitutes -- are they ok for E4 in moderation?
There are many themes and variations of keto diets. In "The End of Alzheimer's", Dr Bredesen does a good job of describing a plant based diet high in fat that allows for nutritional ketosis. Meat is used as a condiment. We have members who follow Dr Gundry's diet recommendations and stay in ketosis. These approaches are compatible with E4 concerns.

Sugar substitutes are artificial processed food-like substances, and therefore not recommended for any healthy diet. :lol: Stavia is probably OK. I think that minimizing sugars/sweets helps our taste buds re-calibrate to enjoy non processed whole foods.
Slacker
E4/E4
Its Me
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Its Me »

slacker wrote:Sugar substitutes are artificial processed food-like substances, and therefore not recommended for any healthy diet.
A good point. My FODMAP diet per gastro doc eliminates things that tend to irritate your gut, (you can bring them back one at a time to see how your gut responds), and includes fake sweeteners and such in foods. It does allow cane sugar, but I agree that reducing this is a generally good idea. Perhaps like some in Europe I read about, sweets are the occasional treat, and portion control.
baysidewalk
Contributor
Contributor

Post by baysidewalk »

Thank you Slacker and It's Me. This all helps. I suspected the sugar substitutes were bad... Too bad. My cookie addicition is over forever!