Inheritance from mother

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Justonemore
Contributor
Contributor

Inheritance from mother

Post by Justonemore »

I’m sorry about asking a question so early in my joining. I was scrolling around and saw a comment about the subject. On 23 and me it’s my understanding that the test only shows my moms side showing the apoe4. It’s my fathers side that it is very prevalent with so many close relatives in two generations. Are there genes I have that do not show up in those reports. Meaning that I can have more than my maternal line I don’t know about?
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Inheritance from mother

Post by NF52 »

Justonemore wrote:I’m sorry about asking a question so early in my joining. I was scrolling around and saw a comment about the subject. On 23 and me it’s my understanding that the test only shows my moms side showing the apoe4. It’s my fathers side that it is very prevalent with so many close relatives in two generations. Are there genes I have that do not show up in those reports. Meaning that I can have more than my maternal line I don’t know about?
Hi Justonemore,
Don't ever apologize for asking questions--or for offering your own wisdom and experience! I'm not a 23&me or genetics expert (although 23&me is how I found out my 4/4 status), but I think what you might have seen is that they show your maternal "haplogroup", which tells you more about your distant ancestors than it does about your genetic make-up. So what you can't tell is where your father's ancient ancestors came from, because you don't have what's called "mitochondrial DNA" from his Y chromosome. Per 23 & me:
Due to their unusual pattern of inheritance, the mitochondrial DNA and the Y chromosome contain information about your maternal and paternal lines, respectively. But together, they make up less than 1% of all your DNA, and only represent a small fraction of your ancestry.
https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en- ... up-Reports

You still have lots of reports that use the 50% of genes you inherited from your dad. My two sons, for example, were thrilled to learn that I did NOT inherit my dad's gene for going bald in his 20's!
4/4 and still an optimist!