New Member, been lurking for a while, waiting on my 23andme & ancestry results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
CoachDD
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:48 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: New Member, been lurking for a while, waiting on my 23andme & ancestry results

Postby CoachDD » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:17 pm

I echo some of the suggestions listed - I personally found Promethease and Strategene the most helpful. FWIW, I also did Genetic Genie but didn't find it beneficial - it seemed more basic than the others recommended here.
Learning to Live (3/4)
Certified Health and Wellness Coach ~ Functional Medicine Coaching Academy

CuriousJJ
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:24 am

Re: New Member, been lurking for a while, waiting on my 23andme & ancestry results

Postby CuriousJJ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:01 pm

CoachDD wrote:I echo some of the suggestions listed - I personally found Promethease and Strategene the most helpful. FWIW, I also did Genetic Genie but didn't find it beneficial - it seemed more basic than the others recommended here.


Thank you!

CuriousJJ
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:24 am

Re: New Member, been lurking for a while, waiting on my 23andme & ancestry results

Postby CuriousJJ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:33 am

What about Dash Genomics? They advertise that their Alzheimer's assessment goes beyond others and at every age?

NF52
Support Team
Support Team
Posts: 1065
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:41 am
Location: Eastern U.S.

Re: New Member, been lurking for a while, waiting on my 23andme & ancestry results

Postby NF52 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:58 pm

CuriousJJ wrote:What about Dash Genomics? They advertise that their Alzheimer's assessment goes beyond others and at every age?

Here's a link to a discussion of some results members have received from DASH. It's a very long thread; start with the post from "JulieG" on Oct. 10, 2108 and you'll see some info on the company, a link to a sample report, some info from a company co-founder and some examples of forum member's results.
Polygenic info used to identify risk of AD

FWIW, I didn't just want a overall risk score for Alzheimer's. I wanted to see what other information my 23&me raw data had to reveal. Even "polygenic risk scores" cannot take into account your health history, lifestyle, cognitive reserve and other factors. I have a son who was born with a congenital anomaly not related to his brain, but saw an early study from that period (the 1980's) that said infants with that condition had an 80% chance of severe learning disabilities. Fast forward 18 years, he was taking AP statistics, AP World History. So, was he the lucky 20 % or was their algorithm flawed by a small sample size or limited access to lifestyle factors. We are all more than our genes.
4/4 and still an optimist!

CuriousJJ
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:24 am

Re: New Member, been lurking for a while, waiting on my 23andme & ancestry results

Postby CuriousJJ » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:01 pm

Well, I received my 23andme and did the Promethease.

This is what it said on the first page:
gs141
2x risk of Alzheimer's disease You carry one APOE-ε3 allele and one APOE-ε4 allele. . This is based on
• rs429358(C;T)
• rs7412(C;C)

NF52
Support Team
Support Team
Posts: 1065
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:41 am
Location: Eastern U.S.

Re: New Member, been lurking for a while, waiting on my 23andme & ancestry results

Postby NF52 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:44 pm

CuriousJJ wrote:Well, I received my 23andme and did the Promethease.

This is what it said on the first page:
gs141
2x risk of Alzheimer's disease You carry one APOE-ε3 allele and one APOE-ε4 allele. . This is based on
• rs429358(C;T)
• rs7412(C;C)
Hi again, Jenn,

It sounds like you are probably an ApoE 3/4, which is true for about 25% of the population of us descendants of Europeans and aliens and Neanderthals!

While the report says that you have 2x the risk of Alzheimer's, it's probably more accurate to say that by the time you reach age 85--if you were today between ages 60-75-- you would have a 20-25% chance of either Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) or Alzheimer's. Check my earlier post for the quote and source for those odds. As someone who is about 48, you are roughly 15 years of scientific progress and lifestyle choices away from those odds, which I would expect to be lower for you.

Given that you see yourself as a bit of an obsessive, I would encourage you to remember that statistics are never personalized; they only speak to what a group of people studied in the past experienced. So feel free to browse information in the forums and on the wiki pages and make decisions slowly. Stavia, our 4/4 doctor and author of the PRIMER is the source I would recommend first to anyone seeking to find how to ride this rollercoaster without falling off!

Hugs to you and to all the women in your family (and your husband, who obviously appreciates the women in his life!)
4/4 and still an optimist!

CuriousJJ
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:24 am

Re: New Member, been lurking for a while, waiting on my 23andme & ancestry results

Postby CuriousJJ » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:51 pm

NF52 wrote:
It sounds like you are probably an ApoE 3/4, which is true for about 25% of the population of us descendants of Europeans and aliens and Neanderthals! ...

Hugs to you and to all the women in your family (and your husband, who obviously appreciates the women in his life!)


Thank you, NF52!

I appreciate the humor and reassurance, and reminder that statistics are just one piece of the puzzle. I'm going to do some more reading (the primer) and some of the other conversations/threads here. I'll have more questions at some point :D


Return to “Our Stories”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests