Page 1 of 2

New Member, been lurking for a while, waiting on my 23andme & ancestry results

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:14 am
by CuriousJJ
Hi,

:D Just in case you don't want to read through my lengthy intro, here is my first question:
What is your favorite genetic tool for taking the data from 23andme and ancestry and analyzing it further?

In 2016 I took over care for my Mom, who has been diagnosed with AD and is living close to me in a very nice Memory Care Home. We tried her at home with us for a while after her 2nd husband passed away, and I withered away, quit eating, got on anxiety meds, and generally was not equipped to be full time caretaker (not to mention how unfair it was to my husband & kids who were still at home). So yes, I have some guilt over moving her out of our home, but that is not why I am posting here today. Her brother (my uncle) has also been diagnosed with AD, and their father had Parkinsons. Not really sure what happened to their Mom, (my grandmother) but I know she was a heavy drinker and an alcoholic and died before I was born while most of her siblings lived to be quite old, many into their 90s.

Since then, I have read up on AD, been lurking a little on this website, skimmed the Primer, read Dr. Bredesen's book, and been quite over whelmed with all the medical stuff and just how detailed it can get. I wasn't going to test, but then my daughter wanted to do Ancestry and 23 & me, so I did it with her, knowing that I was going to find out some info that I wasn't sure I really wanted to know. I have a tendency to get obsessive about things, especially health related. My father passed away from a rare cancer, mesothelioma, and I spent countless hours researching that at the time. Additionally on my father's side, we have no history of AD or Dementia, and his Mom lived until this year to the ripe old age of 100.

I am currently about to turn 48

Yes, I have a long term health care policy. :P Even though I'm not living quite as clean as Grandma. :shock:

So my first sample for 23andme did not have enough DNA for processing (go figure) and they sent me a new kit. My daughter and I did the tests together, and she has received both back, neither one of mine is ready yet. Hubby said it's because I'm probably part alien. HA HA

Anyway, my first question is, what is your favorite genetic tool for taking the data from 23andme and ancestry and analyzing it further?

p.s. 23andme results for my daughter indicated she had 1 Apoe4 allele? and was at a slightly increased risk for late onset of AD. (hope I used the terminology properly)

Thanks,
Jenn

Re: New Member, been lurking for a while, waiting on my 23andme & ancestry results

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:37 pm
by floramaria
Hi Jenn,

Welcome to the site and to the community. My favorite tool for getting more information from the 23 & Me and Ancestory is Promethease.com. they can use your sign in information to access raw data from company you tested with, and give a report that includes a last of information.
thank you for giving your detailed introduction. Your feeling overwhelmed by all the medical information is a common reaction. There is a lot to digest. You’ve already skimmed the Primer, which is an excellent place to get an overview. Have you looked at the WiKi to see the tips for how to get the most out of the site? WiKi section 9.1. It has good tips for accessing information on topics that may be particularly relevant through the search function, which you can acces with the magnifying glass at top of page, left of your user name. The WiKi section also explains some of the nuts and bolts of replying to posts by others and sending PM’s.

It is easy to get obsessed; I can say that from personal experience! Please try to pace yourself and take on changes slowly and gently. You don’t need to understand everything at once or make all the changes at once. At 48 you have plenty of time to put together a personal program that supports your long term cognitive health.
This community can provide support and information to help you. We are happy you have joined us and look forward to hearing more from you!

Re: New Member, been lurking for a while, waiting on my 23andme & ancestry results

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:01 pm
by NF52
CuriousJJ wrote:Hi,

:D Just in case you don't want to read through my lengthy intro, here is my first question:
What is your favorite genetic tool for taking the data from 23andme and ancestry and analyzing it further?
...
I am currently about to turn 48...
p.s. 23andme results for my daughter indicated she had 1 Apoe4 allele? and was at a slightly increased risk for late onset of AD. (hope I used the terminology properly)
Thanks,
Jenn
A warm welcome, Jenn!
We love "lurkers" who join; I should know; I'm one of them! It shows that you have a curious, yet cautious nature and want to get information from lots of sources. That sounds like "cognitive reserve and flexibility"--two traits associated on population studies with both long life and healthy brains.

As for your # 1 question, I used Promethease, and appreciated the easy-to-read "reports" and the ability to filter by topics or risk analysis. Here's a recent thread with a post from user "Its Me" about Promethease. Others may chime in with different ideas.
https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5816&p=64130&hilit=promethease#p64130

Since you already have your daughter's 23&me results, your family can safely say she got that one ApoE 4 allele from either you or your hubby (who has a great sense of humor, which is a prerequisite for a great spouse!). About 20-25% of people with European ancestry also have at least one ApoE 4 allele, so it's not rare. Nor does it mean that that person will develop either Mild Cognitive Impairment or Alzheimer's dementia (AD) or Parkinson's or vascular dementia, etc. With your family's history of longevity it's likely that you and your daughter have some great protective genes that reduce the incidence of heart disease, cancer, metabolic disease and other risks.

A 2017 meta-analysis of four large cohorts of several thousand people in the U.S. and Rotterdam, Netherlands resulted in a statistical model that predicts a risk for MCI or AD by the age of 85, for people ages 60-75 as follows:
The Generation Study elected to disclose the following “lifetime” risks of MCI or dementia to its potential participants: 30%–55% for individuals with APOE-e4/e4; 20%–25% for individuals with APOE-e3/e4 and -e2/e4 (with a note that risk might be lower for those with APOE-e2/e4); and 10%–15% for individuals with APOE-e3/e3, -e3/e2, and -e2/e2 (with a note that risk might be lower for those with APOE-e2/e3 and -e2/e2).

APOE-related risk of mild cognitive impairment and dementia for prevention trials: An analysis of four cohorts

So you can see that your daughter, if she's in her 20's, has about 40 years for science to improve the already good 75-80% odds that she WON'T get MCI or AD. (Especially since I'm sure she follows a healthier, smarter diet and exercise routine than I knew about at her age and I'm doing okay at age 66, with ApoE 4/4!)

The same is true for you. It's likely that your mom and uncle had vastly different diets, and exposure to toxic air, water, substances and food than you did, and had health care providers that didn't have the benefit of knowing about testing for blood pressure, insulin control, Vitamin B-12 and cholesterol.

You should not feel guilty about having your mother in a Memory Care home near you. My mother-in-law needed that for a time and was able to quickly feel a sense of comfort and security. (And she could walk laps faster than her husband on his daily visits, and always welcomed time for singing and chocolate chip cookies.) Unlike the sad history her own mother had, your mom sounds like she has loved her extended family and knows she is loved. I truly believe that women like that are strong and wise. I think if you ask her, you will find that she lives each day with a sense of peace in the moment.

Re: New Member, been lurking for a while, waiting on my 23andme & ancestry results

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:21 pm
by CoachJD
welcome CuriousJJ! We're so happy that you decided to do more than lurk and that you've joined the community. I know you'll find the information and the people helpful and caring. I'm sure you've discovered from your reading that your ApoE status is just a risk factor and not a determinant. You are young, smart and engaged in your own wellness journey, and have time and resources to give yourself and your family the best chance for healthy and happy senior years. I know that the information can feel overwhelming, but go slow and reach out for help as you need it. There are some remarkable contributors on this site who can help you make sense of it as you go. We hope to hear more from you!

Re: New Member, been lurking for a while, waiting on my 23andme & ancestry results

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:50 pm
by CuriousJJ
floramaria wrote:Hi Jenn,

Welcome to the site and to the community. My favorite tool for getting more information from the 23 & Me and Ancestory is Promethease.com. they can use your sign in information to access raw data from company you tested with, and give a report that includes a last of information.
thank you for giving your detailed introduction. Your feeling overwhelmed by all the medical information is a common reaction. There is a lot to digest. ... We are happy you have joined us and look forward to hearing more from you!


Thank you Floramaria, for your warm welcome and encouragement, it is greatly appreciated.

Re: New Member, been lurking for a while, waiting on my 23andme & ancestry results

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:56 pm
by CuriousJJ
NF52 wrote: We love "lurkers" who join; I should know; I'm one of them! It shows that you have a curious, yet cautious nature and want to get information from lots of sources. That sounds like "cognitive reserve and flexibility"--two traits associated on population studies with both long life and healthy brains.

As for your # 1 question, I used Promethease, and appreciated the easy-to-read "reports" and the ability to filter by topics or risk analysis. Here's a recent thread with a post from user "Its Me" about Promethease. Others may chime in with different ideas.
https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5816&p=64130&hilit=promethease#p64130

Since you already have your daughter's 23&me results, your family can safely say she got that one ApoE 4 allele from either you or your hubby (who has a great sense of humor, which is a prerequisite for a great spouse!). About 20-25% of people with European ancestry also have at least one ApoE 4 allele, so it's not rare.
So you can see that your daughter, if she's in her 20's, has about 40 years for science to improve the already good 75-80% odds that she WON'T get MCI or AD.


NF52, thank you for the kind words and links. My daughter's ancestry came back at 98% European, so that 4 allele is not a surprise, however, how she managed to NOT inherit any of my "Alienness" is a mystery. :lol:

Re: New Member, been lurking for a while, waiting on my 23andme & ancestry results

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:59 pm
by CuriousJJ
CoachJD wrote:welcome CuriousJJ! We're so happy that you decided to do more than lurk and that you've joined the community. I know you'll find the information and the people helpful and caring. I'm sure you've discovered from your reading that your ApoE status is just a risk factor and not a determinant. You are young, smart and engaged in your own wellness journey, and have time and resources to give yourself and your family the best chance for healthy and happy senior years. I know that the information can feel overwhelming, but go slow and reach out for help as you need it. There are some remarkable contributors on this site who can help you make sense of it as you go. We hope to hear more from you!


Thank you, CoachJD, I appreciate your words and optimism

Re: New Member, been lurking for a while, waiting on my 23andme & ancestry results

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:03 pm
by floramaria
CuriousJJ wrote:
NF52 wrote:
My daughter's ancestry came back at 98% European, so that 4 allele is not a surprise, however, how she managed to NOT inherit any of my "Alienness" is a mystery. :lol:


:lol:

Re: New Member, been lurking for a while, waiting on my 23andme & ancestry results

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:50 pm
by SusanJ
CuriousJJ wrote:Since then, I have read up on AD, been lurking a little on this website, skimmed the Primer, read Dr. Bredesen's book, and been quite over whelmed with all the medical stuff and just how detailed it can get.


Given what you wrote, I would recommend Found My Fitness (Dr. Rhonda Patrick) and/or Strategene (Dr. Ben Lynch). These both look at genes that are important to health regardless of E4 status and how one might deal with any problem genes.

Re: New Member, been lurking for a while, waiting on my 23andme & ancestry results

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:03 pm
by CuriousJJ
SusanJ wrote:
CuriousJJ wrote:Since then, I have read up on AD, been lurking a little on this website, skimmed the Primer, read Dr. Bredesen's book, and been quite over whelmed with all the medical stuff and just how detailed it can get.


Given what you wrote, I would recommend Found My Fitness (Dr. Rhonda Patrick) and/or Strategene (Dr. Ben Lynch). These both look at genes that are important to health regardless of E4 status and how one might deal with any problem genes.


Thank you, SusanJ, I might end up doing several of these analyzing tools to plan a path...I've got to find a balance, something that seems difficult at times.